Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Bugs  ~  Channel 5 bug

Page 1 of 4
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Vindictor
Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Oct 2005 Posts: 220 Location: Cornwall
Hi there.

Something else I started noticing today.

Sometimes when I flick through the channels, channel 5 comes up blank. Just a black screen, with no sound. The now/next is there, but no sound picture. Changing to another channel and back again fixes it.

Not so bad if you're watching the telly, but not so handy if it came out of standby to record a timer on channel 5 and just got blank.
I'm not sure what would happen if the timer woke up to a blank channel, whether it would record blank, or just fail. I hope I never find out.

I've had the Toppy on BBC2 for the past hour or two (with sound dropouts, hopefully not a problem my end) and when I scanned up through, is when I found the blank Ch5.

Has also happened previously from switching on and scanning through channels.

Running the .09 firmware. Never noticed this problem before, when I was on the .05 firmware.
Vin.
Andy K
Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 14 Jun 2005 Posts: 3499 Location: Owner of 3 Topfields
I noticed no sound on BBC2 this morning. (but analogue was fine).
HydeTheDarkerSide
Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 11 May 2005 Posts: 5953 Location: Hannington Transmitter : Sony KDL 40Z5800
Do you get similar results with QVC or Price Drop TV?

C5 is on a mux with no other main stream channels, so comparisons are hard to get. The above channels might help to shed some light on these problems. What signal strength and quality are you getting on C5?

It's unlikely to be a bug that is affecting just one channel from a single mux, so it may be more to do with reception for that mux.

MyStuff Links: http://www.toppy.org.uk/~mystuff/index.shtml
Sig generated by MyInfo on 11/10/13
Encrypter
Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 09 Apr 2005 Posts: 137 Location: Bristol, UK
HydeTheDarkerSide wrote:
C5 is on a mux with no other main stream channels, so comparisons are hard to get. The above channels might help to shed some light on these problems. What signal strength and quality are you getting on C5?

It's unlikely to be a bug that is affecting just one channel from a single mux, so it may be more to do with reception for that mux.

Yes there aren't any other main channels on Mux A. However, although it's difficult to make any direct comparisons, several TUTV users seem to be having decryption problems with this MUX.

Also I have had issues with QVC though not with Five. I've tended to assume these are related to the launch of QVC active, but I may be wrong.

I did notice on the DTG website here;
http://www.dtg.org.uk/retailer/download_schedule.pl
that they have the following note;

Quote:
Notes about the downloads:

DTG Testing has been informed that a download for Thomson products (DTI1000, DTI500 and Grundig GDT1000) will be broadcast on multiplex A (Channel 5/SDN). DTG Testing has also been informed of another Thomson download for the DTI2300 and the Goodmans GDB7CA which will also be broadcast on multiplex A soon pending minor upgrades to the broadcast infrastructure. Note that these are not official "Engineering Channel" scheduled downloads, for more details please contact the manufacturer.

Unless explicitly stated, all Engineering Channel downloads are now broadcast on both of the BBC multiplexes (1 and B).

I don't know how recent this development is?
But if Five/SDN are testing an 'unofficial' download channel on MUX A, then this could be a problem if it is badly implemented?

Can anyone clarify this?
DX
Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:25 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Apr 2005 Posts: 2674
Encrypter wrote:

Quote:

DTG Testing has been informed that a download for Thomson products (DTI1000, DTI500 and Grundig GDT1000) will be broadcast on multiplex A

I don't know how recent this development is?
But if Five/SDN are testing an 'unofficial' download channel on MUX A, then this could be a problem if it is badly implemented?

Can anyone clarify this?

The use of Mux A for downloads goes back to the launch of Freeview. At that time the BBC changed from using 64QAM to 16QAM, which worked on all but a few Grundig stb's. These required a software update to receive 16QAM, but couldn't get one as the BBC Engineering Channel was broadcasting in 16QAM.

To get round this Grundig leased capacity for the downloads on Mux A, which was still 64QAM, and did their updates that way. When Thomson took over the Grundig stb division they inherited this arrangement.

You also have 4TV broadcasting updates on the Crown Castle Mux's, for any machines using their 14 day EPG. So that's a third source of updates that has also been running for some time.
Vindictor
Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:40 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Oct 2005 Posts: 220 Location: Cornwall
I can't say I've ever watched QVC or the bidding channels, but I'll be sure and check from time to time.

The problem is, it can't be replicated.
It doesn't do it often, just sometimes I change to channel 5 and get a big blank, changing up or down, and back again fixes it.

I just thought to mention it yesterday, as it did it twice in one day, and was therefore still on my mind when I was on the net Wink

Vin.
thesaint
Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:30 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 15 Apr 2005 Posts: 366 Location: Darlington
Hi Vindicator,
I too have seen this, Im on Bilsdale transmitter,North Yorkshire/Durham area, and its showing 62% sig strength and 99% quality. As you say it cant be replicated but if it does wake up to a blank screen it may not record anything. All my other channels are around 60% strength and 99% quality so cant see the extra 2% should cause any problems. Cool
pmcarthur
Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 15 Aug 2005 Posts: 28
I've seen this recently (after the channel changes) but not on my Toppy. I have a Grundig DTT box and for 2 days last week there was no Channel 5. Now & Next were displayed but no programme. Came good on Friday last week

Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 09 Apr 2005 Posts: 137 Location: Bristol, UK
DX wrote:
The use of Mux A for downloads goes back to the launch of Freeview.

Ah, thanks for clearing that one up for me, I guess I just hadn't noticed before.
u102363
Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:57 am Reply with quote
I have Channel 5 at number 1000 on my Toppy after the latest firmware update (5.12.09). It is in the right place on my Sony Freeview DVD recorder after I rescanned that, but rescanning the Toppy today does not fix it. Crying or Very sad

Is there a workaround? I want 5 in position 5!
chunkywizard
Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:05 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 13 May 2005 Posts: 9306 Location: Sindlesham, Berkshire Tx: Hannington
Hi there,

try rescanning again, hopefully it will pop back in to it's rightful place. A few people have posted it took a while for this to correct itself,

Cheers

Chunkywizard

HydeTheDarkerSide
Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:11 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 11 May 2005 Posts: 5953 Location: Hannington Transmitter : Sony KDL 40Z5800
u102363 wrote:
I have Channel 5 at number 1000 on my Toppy after the latest firmware update (5.12.09). It is in the right place on my Sony Freeview DVD recorder after I rescanned that, but rescanning the Toppy today does not fix it. Crying or Very sad

Is there a workaround? I want 5 in position 5!
I've also seen some posters report that they needed to delete C5 and then manually re-scan for that one channel.

MyStuff Links: http://www.toppy.org.uk/~mystuff/index.shtml
Sig generated by MyInfo on 11/10/13
u102363
Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the tips.....

Once I managed to work out how to delete Channel 5 I tried that, but rescanning just that channel found nothing. Then rescanned them all but only 45 TV channels were allegedly found. After rescanning them all AGAIN (over 70 found this time) Channel 5 is in the right place!

I just noticed it was a black screen with no sound, though, unless I went down/up one channel. Now it seems to be working.

I am close enough to Winter Hill to hit the antenna with a well-aimed Toppy remote! Wink

O.

machare
Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:40 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 14 Jun 2005 Posts: 111
Vindictor wrote:
Hi there.

Sometimes when I flick through the channels, channel 5 comes up blank. Just a black screen, with no sound. The now/next is there, but no sound picture. Changing to another channel and back again fixes it.

Running the .09 firmware. Never noticed this problem before, when I was on the .05 firmware.
Vin.

Just read your post, and believe that I have seen the same on my Toppy.

My signal comes from Crystal Palace. The quality is 93%, the lowest quality mux that I get. It is Quam 64.

TF5800, IA On, TS On, F/W: 5.13.65T 14/4/2009 +CwOtTd
TAPs: Power Manager v1.2; Jag's EPG v3.0 Beta 5 (Freeware Edition); PcControl X25a; MyInfo B5.6;
bellandbottle
Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 20 Apr 2005 Posts: 857 Location: Reading - Crystal Palace
For the first time I have had a black screen on channel 5 after selection. If I come off and go to ITV3 and then back again, the channel shows up.

Others: HDDinfo V2.0, TAP Commander 1.0.1, UK Timers v1.2, Channel Organiser 2A.