Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  General Toppy discussions  ~  Topfield HD replacement Miraclebox

Page 1 of 42
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 40, 41, 42  Next
sarahstaar
Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:39 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 17 Jan 2007 Posts: 41 Location: London UK
My Topfield TF5810 has come to the end of it's life and i have started looking for a replacement.

I have been looking at the Miraclebox Premium Twin HD box

http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Miraclebox-Premium-Twin-HD-2x-hybrid-dvb-c-t-t2-cable-terrestrial-enigma-2?filter_name=Miraclebox

It has swappable tuners Freeview/Sat/Cable

record 7 channels at once!!

record to internal or network hard drive!!

Linux OS - Open Source

etc etc!!

anyone got one, is it any good???
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Darucla
Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:48 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Jun 2007 Posts: 1534 Location: Norwich
I have been looking at this and the Vu+ for quite some time. At the moment I have a Humax T2 HDR, and Foxsat HDR, both of which have the custom firmware, and they work quite well, once you get around the fairly awful interface. However, they won't last forever.

So, can't give you any first hand knowledge on this box, but would be grateful for any feedback you may give if you get one. It looks like the options, especially the ability to record direct to a network drive, are pretty cool.
sarahstaar
Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:50 am Reply with quote
i think i will get one this week..

when it arrives i will post a review and a video up on this post...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
sarahstaar
Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:57 am Reply with quote
Just ordered one, with the VIX firmware.

I should have it tomorrow ...
Maxiboost
Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Hi @sarahstaar!

Really strange you should post today as I am in a similar position as my Toppy has just died... and lo and behold I check the brilliant Toppy forums here and you've posted exactly the same kind of message I was going to! Saved me a job, lol!

Will be really interested to hear how you get on with the Miraclebox Premium. Presumably you're fitting your own HD? Also do you know the differences between the firmwares? I see you went for VIX - any particular reason?

Keep us posted - thanks in advance Smile

Harmony 885 remote
ryclark
Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 10 Jul 2005 Posts: 1611 Location: Shropshire
Looks like a excellent alternative to the standard DVB-T2 boxes. Will follow your experiences with it with interest.

But please don't throw out your old broken Toppys. Donate them as spares to Andyfras for his ongoing excellent repair service.

sarahstaar
Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:59 pm Reply with quote
ryclark wrote:
Looks like a excellent alternative to the standard DVB-T2 boxes. Will follow your experiences with it with interest.

But please don't throw out your old broken Toppys. Donate them as spares to Andyfras for his ongoing excellent repair service.

I was at a loss as to what the different firmware options were about. This seemed to be very little reference to them on the Internet.

So I emailed the supplier and did not receive an answer.

I purchased the box without a hard drive and with the original factory installed firmware.

10 minutes later I received a phone call from the supplier. In a very worried sounding voice he asked me are you familiar with the product which you just ordered.

I think he was a bit worried that I’d ordered a product that was a little bit more technical than the average PVR.

I had a chat with him and he told me that the firmware options were basically user interface replacements.

The VIX firmware was the easiest to use and seem to have the most options so that’s why I went with it.

I’ve had a read through the VIX firmware user manual and it seems to have a lot of the same features as mystuff…

I’ve also ordered a 1 TB hard drive from scan computers.

I will make an un-boxing video tomorrow and posted it up here on the forum. It will take me a few days to learn how to use the software and post my results.

Certainly on paper it looks like a very good PVR.
Maxiboost
Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Thanks @sarahstaar, that's brill. Do you mind me asking which HDD you got from Scan? Did you go for a 3.5'' or 2.5'' drive?

Very tempted to buy this today too.

Harmony 885 remote
sarahstaar
Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:22 pm Reply with quote
i got the 1TB Toshiba MQ01ABD100, 2.5" HDD

2.5" drives are quieter and cooler. + i think i will probably end up recording to my NAS.
tuff
Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Is there any guidance on compatible HDD's and has the supplier confirmed that fitting your own HDD doesn't invalidate the 2 year warranty?
andyfras
Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3407
I'll be very interested to see your report too.

I contacted Miraclebox in April '13 (they took over 2 months to reply) to ask if there were plans to have a UK (Freeview/Freesat licensed) version. I provided some links to the relevant information. They were also looking for recommendations for a UK distributor, so I suggested Turbosat, but it seems that they didn't go that way.

It is significantly cheaper than it was a year or so ago. My only concern is that if they have not gone for the Freeview / Freesat licences, the EPG will have to be provided by an app of some sort.

See original thread here:

http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=256290#256290

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 320GB 2.5", Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScUUuWfZ
Maxiboost
Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:50 am Reply with quote
I've asked these questions and they've been answered by the very helpful Stef at WoS Forums http://www.world-of-satellite.com/:

Quote:
1) With a ViX Team flashed image, will the unit automatically download EPG data over-the-air using Freeview? Naturally I plan to wireless connect the box to the Internet so presumably it would use a wireless connection to get this data if it cannot be received OTA using Freeview? Answer: Yes Freeview EPG is downloaded OTA.

2) If I fit my own HDD, will this invalidate the 2yr warranty? Answer: No you will not invalidate warranty providing you do not damage any components whilst fitting the HDD. Also ensure power is disconnected.

HTH!

Harmony 885 remote
charlesb
Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 08 Feb 2008 Posts: 34
Now this looks very interesting. I'm going to keep and eye on this as my long term plan to centralise my recordings onto my NAS - this thing can apparently record to a Network Drive, which means you don't need an HDD.

Please keep us posted on how you get on.
sarahstaar
Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Ok just got my Miraclebox in the post an hour ago and made an unboxing video

Unboxing Miraclebox Premium

http://youtu.be/Qo3EU47ZCFs
leshay
Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Oct 2005 Posts: 383
Hi Sarah

Thanks for the video, very interesting. I am looking forward to your next installment, hopefully showing the setup of your Network drive. If that goes well, I would be interested myself in getting a Miraclebox and Network HD.