Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Computer connections  ~  Antares failure: RESOLVED

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Poppa Mintin
Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 09 May 2011 Posts: 144
Geoff Bacon wrote:
In the end, I suspect that you are going to have to rerun z4t taking care to follow the correct procedure for Win10 e.g. running as administrator, allowing unsigned drivers, not connecting the toppy until z4t tells you to and anything else that others have previously posted about. (I can't help with this as my operating system is many versions earlier than Win10)

Win.7 machine hasn't been available (when I could use it) yet.

I ran Install Z4t in advanced mode, using all the above.
My instruction list for correct installation procedure says 'Not to connect Toppy until asked'.
This did not happen, the app. just said 'No device found'. (So I connected it then).

The app. reported that the driver was successfully installed, I copied the results log:
Quote:
Using inf name: Topfield_(libusb-winusb).inf
Succesfully extracted driver files.
Installing driver. Please wait...
libwdi:info [extract_binaries] successfully extracted driver files to C:\usb_driver
libwdi:info [wdi_prepare_driver] succesfully created C:\usb_driver\Topfield_(libusb-winusb).inf
Driver Installation: SUCCESS
1 device found.

Run Antares (As administrator) but it still goes to: - "Antares has stopped working" !
This doesn't happen until I click to transfer files, all the Toppy .rec files are listed, they select properly, any files in the 'Copy to' folder are listed. So everything seems good up until I try to actually make the transfer.

Poppa.

Poppa Mintin
Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Geoff Bacon wrote:
I can't help with this as my operating system is many versions earlier than Win.10

I preferred XP to Win.7, I much preferred Win.7 to Win.10, Never tried any of the Win.8s.

Given the choice I'd vote to return to XP any day.

Poppa.

Geoff Bacon
Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 3966
Can someone with a Win10 pc please confirm whether Antares works for them ? (and also try a drag/drop operation in TopManager).

If that works, it implies it is specific to your pc; if not it is a more generic issue.

I've just realised that TM uses the native drag/drop mechanism to copy files to the pc i.e. it is not directly performing the copy, just passing it to the operating system. Antares is probably doing something similar.

You might find that Topset performs it's own copy. However, you will need to find someone who can provide a copy as the download link on this forum no longer works (I tried using Aldarin's relocated site but that just produces advertisements)

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; EPG2MEI v0.96; QuickJump 1.72; MyStuff 6.6; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3; MyInfo B5.6; WSSkiller V2.12d; CrashTrace v0.4; fsSave 1.1; PruneEPG 1.0;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 17/1/16
ccs
Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 2424
Was trying it as you posted.

Antares wasn't working (couldn't see the toppy) anymore - there was a large windows10 update about a month ago,
but reinstalling drivers with z4t got it working again.

(I used the shift+reboot method to get them to install.)

ccsx
Poppa Mintin
Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Geoff Bacon wrote:
You might find that Topset performs it's own copy.
Geoff

Hi Geoff,

I took a look at downloading Topset a couple of days ago, found a download source but didn't try a download because there was a huge list of 'Compatible' Toppys (most of which I took to be Australian) but TF5810PVRt was conspicuous by it's absence. If memory serves correctly, the closest was a TF5800 model.

Poppa.

EDIT:

For the 'List' go to (Toppy) Computer connections ~ Top Set - settings editor

I have now downloaded and installed Top Set system file version: 2.052 from: -
http://top-set.software.informer.com/download/

I tried running it despite my Toppy not being listed... It ran ok but couldn't find my Toppy. Top Set kept failing with error: Access Violation.

Pop.

EDIT Edit:

It turns out that the 'List' is also available to view in Top Set system file version: 2.052

Pop.

Geoff Bacon
Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 3966
That is the version of TopSet I have installed on my XP system and should work fine for you.

I still think that your problem is with the drivers provided by z4t
Did you try the shift+reboot when you ran it? (as mentioned by ccs)

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; EPG2MEI v0.96; QuickJump 1.72; MyStuff 6.6; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3; MyInfo B5.6; WSSkiller V2.12d; CrashTrace v0.4; fsSave 1.1; PruneEPG 1.0;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 17/1/16
Poppa Mintin
Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:38 am Reply with quote
Geoff Bacon wrote:
I still think that your problem is with the drivers provided by z4t
Did you try the shift+reboot when you ran it? (as mentioned by ccs)
Geoff
Yes, I tried that with exactly the same resulting log.

I managed to get the use of the Win.7 machine too, (had to install TM), Drag and Drop has exactly the same error message as my laptop has.

Oh! I read ccs's post as 'Do a Shift+Restart' as 'Hold down Shift Key, then click Restart'.
From the quote above... maybe ccs meant, 'Install Z4t, Then do a Shift+Restart' ?

Poppa.

ccs
Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:14 am Reply with quote
Poppa Mintin wrote:
Oh! I read ccs's post as 'Do a Shift+Restart' as 'Hold down Shift Key, then click Restart'.
From the quote above... maybe ccs meant, 'Install Z4t, Then do a Shift+Restart' ?
No.

If you restart your pc while holding down the shift key, you get into "troubleshoot" mode which will get you thru' to the point where you can disable driver signature enforcement. I just find it a much easier way.

Does the usb port on your pc work ok with over devices?

Can you try a different usb cable?

Maybe try downloading/reinstalling Antares.

ccsx
Poppa Mintin
Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:43 am Reply with quote
ccs wrote:
Poppa Mintin wrote:
No.

If you restart your pc while holding down the shift key, you get into "troubleshoot" mode which will get you thru' to the point where you can disable driver signature enforcement. I just find it a much easier way.

Does the usb port on your pc work ok with over devices?

Can you try a different usb cable?

Maybe try downloading/reinstalling Antares.

No.

Smile

No, it didn't. I tried it twice before my last post. I held down the shift key, clicked 'Restart'. The laptop did a normal restart.
I just tried it again with the same result but this time I held shift down until the screen went black.

I have three unused USB ports, one USB 3.0/ 3.1 Port (Type C) (I have no connector for this port) and two USB 3.0 Ports. There is also a USB 2.0 Port which I use for my wireless mouse dongle.
Both the USB 3.0 Ports have worked with Antares in the past, and both work (a minute or so ago) with a USB webcam. And (Before you ask Cool ) I get exactly the same result if I run Antares using the USB 2.0 port.

No, sadly I don't have another suitable cable but the cable I'm using works perfectly well with a Win.7 machine. It works well with this machine also... Right up until I click 'Transfer'.

Reinstalling Antares is interesting... I had the same idea before I opened this thread, I figured I'd reinstall, but for a clean reinstall, I'd uninstall Antares and restart the laptop first. When I open 'Programs and Features' I can't find Antares in the list anywhere !
So I've had to just reinstall, hopefully overwriting everything, however I suspect that when it's installing it just skips any file it finds, which probably means all of them !

Poppa.

ccs
Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:31 pm Reply with quote
I think Antares is just a .exe file.

I can't find any files updated by Antares yesterday when I was testing, so maybe it uses the registry.

(eg it remembers pathnames used on the toppy and pc)

shift + reboot is a standard windows feature as far as I can tell.

Maybe.....

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/12376/windows-10-start-your-pc-in-safe-mode

This should allow you to get to and select the driver signature bit rather than safe mode.

ccsx
Poppa Mintin
Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:54 pm Reply with quote
ccs wrote:
I think Antares is just a .exe file.

Thanks ccs,

I used a utility called 'Everything' (Which I thoroughly recommend, [http://www.voidtools.com/]) in stead of 'Search Libraries' in Windows Explorer, to find absolutely every file, folder, shortcut etc which contained 'Antares' and deleted the lot !

Then I downloaded Antares afresh then just ran it... Worked properly first time !

QED.

Thanks for the time and effort Geoff and ccs,

Poppa.

Poppa Mintin
Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Is there a way to mark this thread as 'Resolved' ?

Poppa.

YorkshireJumbo
Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:34 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 16 Sep 2005 Posts: 692
Can you still edit the title in the initial post?

TAPs: MS 6.6 Suite, UK OZ Surfer
ccs
Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:30 am Reply with quote
Poppa Mintin wrote:
I used a utility called 'Everything' (Which I thoroughly recommend, [http://www.voidtools.com/]) in stead of 'Search Libraries' in Windows Explorer, to find absolutely every file, folder, shortcut etc which contained 'Antares' and deleted the lot !

Did you keep a note of where all these files/references were "hidden"??

ccsx
Poppa Mintin
Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:45 am Reply with quote
ccs wrote:
Did you keep a note of where all these files/references were "hidden"??

Sorry, no.

There were in excess of twenty files!
I just checked there wasn't anything that wasn't Antares (not very carefully) and deleted the lot in one fell swoop... Select all, delete ! Gone. (Empty recycle bin, restart lappy.)

Having said that, 'Everything' finds eight entries now... These include the .zip file, the .exe file, a .log file, a shortcut and a couple of folders and prefetch files.

Poppa.