Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  MyStuff  ~  Restore management problems...

Page 1 of 1
shenson
Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Apr 2005 Posts: 566
After a couple of crashes recently (seems to be more frequent since last rescan) I went into restore management and it crashed. I try an earlier date, same thing happens. If the capacitors (all 13) hadn't been replaced in the last few months I'd suspect the PSU.

This is what happens... I enter restore management (option Z10), select any (even just settings) option to restore. The L spins round for "loading" and then I get the crash. VF&F on reboot quite often and then MyStuff loads normally. This happens with 100% consistency.

I then dig out an older Toppy from storage (a spare in case the first fails) and try it. The same happens. I try it tapless, starting MyStuff manually and still get a crash.

MyStuff is 6.6 on both. No signal strength issues. Fscheck reports no problems and checks for MyStuff in Topmanager show fine. Firmware is MyStuff recommended with a few extra minor patches.

Does anyone else get this or is there something odd going on with my 2 Toppys? I'm assuming this isn't expected behaviour.

Geoff Bacon
Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 3941
VF&F shortly after boot may be because PcControl is not the first tap loaded at startup (I suspect it works after that because the disk is already spun up). Use TopManager| PcControl| Tap Commander| Reorder Taps to check.

I was having problems with fairly frequent crashes a few months ago, Turned out that Interactive services i.e. MHeg had somehow been turned on (I think it defaults to on if one performs a manual factory reset). In the end I put the MHegOnOff tap into Auto Start. I also configured QuickJump so that it ignores the Text Key (used to enable Mheg). This fixed my problem (although I can still somehow get Mheg enabled if I press the keys too soon in the startup process - while waiting for MS to do it's stuff). See here for details (and more towards the end of that thread).

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; EPG2MEI v0.96; QuickJump 1.72; MyStuff 6.6; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3; MyInfo B5.6; WSSkiller V2.12d; CrashTrace v0.4; fsSave 1.1; PruneEPG 1.0;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 17/1/16
mstombs
Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 31 Dec 2006 Posts: 935
There have been a few Freeview changes relatively recently? Wonder if something referring to a moved/deleted service? Best summary of changes I know is on:-

http://www.a516digital.com/p/freeview-updates.html
shenson
Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Apr 2005 Posts: 566
Interactive is turned off on the menu. I just checked it again and it is still off. Time shifting also off. I've deleted a lot of channels I don't have any interest in either. I have got more frequent crashes since the last rescan as though (maybe) something in the EPG triggers it though I can't confirm that.

The restore management issue doesn't seem to be related: though I thought it was at first. I tried creating a completely blank settings, EPG deleted, minimal searches and recordings. Then just selecting restore of options only causes the crash. That's why I wondered if anyone else is getting it or if someone can confirm they can successfully restore settings without a crash.

YorkshireJumbo
Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:56 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 16 Sep 2005 Posts: 677
I have had a problem with restore management a couple of times. I think that the actual toppy file locations on disk may have been the problem, as manually renaming the existing files via Antares (so that they still exist but the Toppy does not try to overwrite them) and manually copying over backed up files has resolved the issue both times.

TAPs: MS 6.6 Suite, UK OZ Surfer
Frank Haemorrhage
Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 08 Nov 2008 Posts: 70
Yes, MyStuff's restore management crashed when I used it this week. Originally, MyStuff had got stuck at the load roundel stage and then not shutdown cleanly, so I accepted its offer to restore to earlier settings at startup. It crashed as described by 'shenson'.

At the time, I assumed the crash while restoring was connected to the original failure to load, but now I'm not so sure. Perhaps I'll try manually restoring previous settings files.

TAPs: SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; Extend v1.7; PruneEPG 1.0; mei2archive BETA 3.8l7; MHEG On/Off A3; MyStuff 6.6