Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  General Toppy discussions  ~  HDDoctor error?

Page 1 of 1
Paulie_UK
Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Hi all,
Had some issues with my toppy in its done the format the disk thing. Now last time this happened I connected in to my PC, ran HD Doctor and it fixed it all up. This time however when I try and run File>Perform Checks, I get up to:

Fixed: Root Directory - slot 13777: erased invlaid entry
Files - Attribute of slot 0 of directory "DataFiles\Music\': recreated'.' directory
Files - Attribute of slot 1 of directory "DataFiles\Music\': recreated'.' directory

and it pops up a message:

Version: V0.21.8
Error: 9
Description: subscript out of range
Source: Project1
Procedure: fsck_04_ScanDirectories
LineNumber: 7250
Stack :Fsck_04_ScanDirectories - Menu_File_PerformanceChecks_Click

If I click ignore I get the same message just with LineNumber 7450, and it just cycles between these two messages.

Any ideas? Am I done for?

Also, I tried to check the downloads to see if there was a newer version that may have had a fix or two applied. But clicking the link just goes to a holding page so assume the website (topfield.cc) is no more? Am I on the latest version or can anyone point me to another download if one exists?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice!

Paul

Geoff Bacon
Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 3941
I can recover the data for you using my ToppyDiskMedic program (this requires sending the disk to me). It uses a variety of techniques including scan and match (like TopfHDRW), fsSave files, and names extracted from any "orphan" folders (folders that exist on the disk but aren't accessible via the file system).

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; EPG2MEI v0.96; QuickJump 1.72; MyStuff 6.6; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3; MyInfo B5.6; WSSkiller V2.12d; CrashTrace v0.4; fsSave 1.1; PruneEPG 1.0;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 17/1/16
Paulie_UK
Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Hi Geoff,

Thanks for the message. Was hoping someone might have an idea but failing any further response I may take you up on that offer! You may or may not remember but you did recover my disc a year or two back. It's 1.5 TB and is about 80-90% full which I think caused you a headache or two last time.

How is ToppyDiskMedic coming along, any closer to a release or is it still just a personal work?

I had attempted to run Scan/Match in HDRead/Write (which I assume is a similar recovery program just built in to the first program) and one file has now re-appeared but I don't currently have 5 hours for it to run the whole thing and not sure if this will do more damage than good in terms of other recovery methods so stopped that.

Paul

Geoff Bacon
Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Hi Paul,

I've made lots more "improvements" to TDM but it will only ever remain as a private project.

Geoff
PS: It should cope with a 1.5 TB disk

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; EPG2MEI v0.96; QuickJump 1.72; MyStuff 6.6; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3; MyInfo B5.6; WSSkiller V2.12d; CrashTrace v0.4; fsSave 1.1; PruneEPG 1.0;
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:05 pm Reply with quote
@Paul

Received the disk this morning and have analysed/repaired it with my ToppyDiskMedic program.

The only problem that I could see was that Cluster 0 had been overwritten (this is the root directory that points to all the other directories).
As the other directories were undamaged, you shouldn't have lost any files.

You only have 38 recordings on the disk. I did run a scan to see if I could locate any other recordings (e.g. ones you had watched and deleted) but it didn't discover any (a bit surprising as it usually picks up lots). The scan showed that all the recordings are intact. A MyInfo Log file confirms that the disk only had 38 recordings when it ran (18/7/2017)

I have also put my fsSave tap into Auto Start. This maintains a snapshot of the directories (I can use to restore the disk should it suffer another corruption).

Putting disk back in post today or tomorrow,

Geoff