Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Computer connections  ~  tfcopy in Windows 10

Page 1 of 1
BD1949
Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:07 pm Reply with quote
I have just bought a new Windows 10 machine. Very nice. In the past, I did a weekly view of Digiguide and then used DGtoTop to copy the timers to the Topfield and then used a neat Tap to set them up. DGtoTop used tfcopy internally to do the copying.

The first thing I had to do was find that z4t set up suitable drivers, but that first Win10 had to be encouraged to load unsigned drivers. So, that is done and Device Manager shows the Topfield is correctly enumerated (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22443313/TFCOPY%20Woes/Device%20Manager.png).

However, tfcopy is hanging up, waiting for the Topfield. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22443313/TFCOPY%20Woes/tfcopy%20hangs.png

It suggests that the device has opened satisfactorily as it has advanced to “Waiting for Topfield device …”.
The version of tfcopy.exe I am using was made on 24 July 2005 (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22443313/TFCOPY%20Woes/tfcopy%20properties.png).

I tried to download tfcopy.exe V1.2 but found www.topfield.cc did not respond (404).

In the past, I have done some USB programming so I downloaded an old friend, USBTrace, to see if I could make any sense of the USB transactions but there were none (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22443313/TFCOPY%20Woes/USBTrace%20on%20removal.png). Of course, opening the device does no itself cause any transactions, but equally, a USB device (typically, ignoring HID and the like)) does not sent out unsolicited transactions.

I have run tfcopy as an administrator and with the same results.

Task Manager does not say much about the state of the program.

I have downloaded TopManager and that works but that is little help (as far as I can see) though it suggests that there is nothing fundamentally wrong with the driver and cable. USBTraace shows the traffic as I would expect.

Can anyone suggest a way forward, please? I fear I shall probably have to move on from Topfield as I really cannot keep an old PC alive just for this application.

TIA,
Bill
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 3960
What dll do you have in the folder containing tfCopy?

Use TopManager Tools| DLLS| Show to see what it says.
It is likely that it will display a "Fix DLL" icon next to the folder containing tfcopy
(right click it and "Fix DLL").
This should copy the dll that TopManager is currently using into the tfcopy folder.

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; EPG2MEI v0.96; QuickJump 1.72; MyStuff 6.6; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3; MyInfo B5.6; WSSkiller V2.12d; CrashTrace v0.4; fsSave 1.1; PruneEPG 1.0;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 17/1/16
TopTapper
Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 29 Jan 2006 Posts: 209
Hi Bill

1.0.2.0 runs fine on Win10 here - without special permissions or compatibility mode. Your version is a fair bit smaller so I've temporarily put a copy here.
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Just in case you copy the dll manually (rather than using TM), the copied file must have the same name as that the dll already in the tfcopy directory i.e. tfdll.dll

(TM saves the original before copying/renaming the dll that it is using).

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; EPG2MEI v0.96; QuickJump 1.72; MyStuff 6.6; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3; MyInfo B5.6; WSSkiller V2.12d; CrashTrace v0.4; fsSave 1.1; PruneEPG 1.0;
BD1949
Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Excellent so far. Used TM and let it fix the various copies of tf.dll and now tfcopy.exe works (even if it is a bit old). Three minor niggles which are more to do with Win 10:
1) cannot pint DGtoTop.bat to the start menu
2) Win10 throws up a "Do you mind tfcopy.exe chanaging things" dialogue box.
3) Dialogue box in (2) above is minimised.

I should admit I do not like Win10 (and I believe software can detect such things) but at least now I can dump the old PC (though I have yet to sort out an Internet newss groups reader to substitute for Outlook Express).

TIA,
Bill
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Still using XP but
1) If you can't pin the .bat file to the menu, I would have thought that you should still be able put a shortcut on the desktop. Not ideal but easier than trying to do a command.
2) Not having Win10 , I don't know what dialog you are seeing but:
a) Make sure tfCopy is stored in a user created folder (not \ProgramFiles or whatever it is in Win10)
b) Look to see if you can change the properties of tfCopy to prevent it invoking the dialog (right click on it)
c) Consider adding a tfCopy.manifest to the user folder (you'll have to work out what goes in it yourself but googling should give you some clues - you might get some clues by looking at the TopManager.manifest file )

[edit] http://winaero.com/blog/pin-a-batch-file-to-the-start-menu-or-taskbar-in-windows-10/ [/edit]
Geoff

BD1949
Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Shortcut on desktop seems like a decent route, so thanks for that. tfcopy is in Program (x86)/Diguide folder. For some reason, I think something said a zip file shouldbe expanded there. Still, I reckon I am close enough for now.

Many thanks for accurate and quick response

Regards,
Bill
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:03 am Reply with quote
Typically, programs were designed to write files to the directory in which they resided (old operating systems allowed programs to write to any directory). Newer operating system protect ProgramFiles and system directories with a dialog (this is to limit viruses).

I'm not sure if Program (x86)/Diguide is a protected folder but I'm guessing that the top level "Program( x86)" is.

You therefore want to copy the contents of this folder to a different folder and adapt any command files to reflect this new location. Doing this should mean that you avoid the dialog.
Note: If you have more than one disk (logical or physical), the easiest way is to usually to copy the folder to the non-operating system drive (usually D: ) and changing any reference of C: to D:. This minimises the changes that you need to do. Alternatively, you could reinstall tfCopy into a non-protected folder.

The link I posted should show you how to add a .bat to the the start menu.

Geoff

BD1949
Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:41 am Reply with quote
Yes, the link to making a desktop shortcut link to aa bat file did work, excellently.

I see the argument for protecting system files and directories. Personally, I'd chop up people who think writing viruses is fun and feed them to the fishes, but I suspect that horse is well bolted now. I once wasted time trying to find out why a program would not run on a client's machine. Turns out he had it in a non-local directory and XP silently enforced a rule it would not run such files for security reasons.

Still, at least I once had the pleasure of turning down a progarmmer who wnted to explore writing self modifying code. Aargh.

Right, onto the news reader client saga.

Many thanks.
Bill