Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Computer connections  ~  The Atlas Database

Page 1 of 1
Bizman
Posted: Thu May 05, 2016 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Apr 2010 Posts: 1700
Recently I have noticed a deterioration in the Atlas database. Instead of a 14-day schedule, it is often only 12 or 13-days and currently there is an unprecedented number of programme gaps resulting in 25 films already found missing in the gaps over the first 7 days. The figure for the second 7 is unknown.

Then we have the split film issue on ITV2, 3 & 4 where the film's description is lost because the second part is shown as 'Concluded' or even 'Concludes' and that is common to both parts.

And what is shopping doing in the middle of the day? I suspect that the 20-minute film actually ends at 13:15
Code:
13/05/2016   Fri   11:10   11:30    48   Underwater!
13/05/2016   Fri   11:30   13:15    48   Teleshopping

At least the OTA information will suffice for the first 7-days of the schedule.

Other TAPs : FsCheck, Channel Organiser. PSU Caps 7/2/2011 Tx: Mendip. TV: Samsung (32"), NSLU2, STB: Labgear FV300. PC Acer Aspire One with Win7 Starter
EMJB
Posted: Fri May 06, 2016 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 08 Jul 2005 Posts: 3620 Location: Maldon Essex
It is now nearly a year since the last response on the Atlas Forum, so I have been expecting it to die totally any moment.

EMJB

Posted: Fri May 06, 2016 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 31 Dec 2006 Posts: 935
The RT database is still going, I recently came across an epg.log file on my slug, its been going nearly 10 years!

Code:
28/12/06 02:47:16: EPG grabbed
06/05/16 07:22:28: EPG grabbed
Bizman
Posted: Sat May 07, 2016 8:14 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Apr 2010 Posts: 1700
EMJB wrote:
It is now nearly a year since the last response on the Atlas Forum, so I have been expecting it to die totally any moment.

EMJB
It's already started. This morning the entire schedule for Movie Mix (LCN32) is missing and the 7 hours or so of tomorrow's Touring Car Championships is shown as Teleshopping.

Other TAPs : FsCheck, Channel Organiser. PSU Caps 7/2/2011 Tx: Mendip. TV: Samsung (32"), NSLU2, STB: Labgear FV300. PC Acer Aspire One with Win7 Starter
leenoble
Posted: Mon May 09, 2016 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 09 Dec 2005 Posts: 287 Location: Cheshire, UK
I've just had an email from Atlas sating I have to severely throttle my usage or I'll be cut off entirely. Apparently I'm only allowed to seek 24 hours of data and I'm not allowed to get every channel.

Not that I do get every channel, since I only have Freeview and I don't bother with a lot of the crap stations. But the 24 hour cap would make the service utterly useless.

Currently I run a launchd task on a daily basis to fetch 12 days or so of data from all the channels I want. Then when I can be bothered, or more likely when the PVR data starts getting patchy, I copy over the most recent file. If I have to copy the files across daily then the PVR ceases to be much use. So are there any alternative sources in the pipleline?

EPGrt2mei 1.1 & rtsearcher plugin by me for MS description searching.
leshay
Posted: Mon May 09, 2016 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Oct 2005 Posts: 382
Hi
Same here. Says limit is 24 hours data. Funny thing is that I haven't used my key for many weeks - must be something to do with my posting it on the MSDN forum accidentally for a couple of hours before I edited it out. The contact link they gave in the email was as useless too - just a blank page (other than a blank grey square).

leenoble
Posted: Mon May 09, 2016 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 09 Dec 2005 Posts: 287 Location: Cheshire, UK
If I have time I could modify the as2mei script so that it only requests one channel say every half an hour to get around the "in one block" limitation. What I'm uncertain about is whether the 24 hour data limit has to necessarily start from "now".

Could I request 24 hours of data from no until this time tomorrow, and then on the next pass ask for 24 hours from that point on, and so on. It would be a bit of a nightmare in terms of file management as I'd probably have to syphon each channel off into its own file before amalgamating them together every day or two. I might go through all that work only to find out it's still a breach of their terms (if they don't just move the goalposts again anyway).

I've got until saturday, so I'll grab two weeks of data before then to give me some breathing space.

I also see that the entire Atlas framework is available open source on GitHub, It might take a bit of setting up but I could probably get my own installation running locally and cut them out of the loop entirely.

EDIT: I've followed all the instructions. Installed MongoDB, Kafka/Zookepper, MVN was already installed, but when I access the server there is no option to run "BBC Ion schedule update (today only)" and none of the other options seem to do anything despite saying they have completed successfully. If anybody has any better luck I'd appreciate some help. Ideally, if this works it should do exactly what the metabroadcast atlas server does but without the need for an API key and none of the restrictions that entails. It might even be possible (legally) for somebody to for instance publish the resultant mei files for others to download.

EPGrt2mei 1.1 & rtsearcher plugin by me for MS description searching.
EMJB
Posted: Tue May 10, 2016 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 08 Jul 2005 Posts: 3620 Location: Maldon Essex
leenoble wrote:
I also see that the entire Atlas framework is available open source on GitHub, It might take a bit of setting up but I could probably get my own installation running locally and cut them out of the loop entirely.

EDIT: I've followed all the instructions. Installed MongoDB, Kafka/Zookepper, MVN was already installed, but when I access the server there is no option to run "BBC Ion schedule update (today only)" and none of the other options seem to do anything despite saying they have completed successfully. If anybody has any better luck I'd appreciate some help. Ideally, if this works it should do exactly what the metabroadcast atlas server does but without the need for an API key and none of the restrictions that entails. It might even be possible (legally) for somebody to for instance publish the resultant mei files for others to download.

I would expect there to be problems accessing the data sources that Atlas uses - perhaps the "completed successfully" messages are ignoring the fact that it failed to log on?

It is my understanding that the restrictions on use of Atlas data (at least in part) reflect the restrictions imposed by the original data sources - if I am correct then duplicating Atlas won't help, and you will probably not get access to those sources. Can you extract the urls for the data sources (notably AP as that data alone wold be a step forward)?

EMJB

Posted: Tue May 17, 2016 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Oct 2009 Posts: 107 Location: London
I've just had an email telling me the RT XMLTV feed will be turned off completely on the 16th of June.

TAPs: PcControl B1.3; ScreenCapture with OSD V2.10b; StopExit v1.01; QuickJump 1.72; MyStuff 6.4; TAP Commander 1.34; UK OZ Surfer v0.11d; EPG2MEI v0.96; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3; MyInfo B5.6;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 19/7/13