Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Computer connections  ~  Someone recommend an ATA dock please?

Page 1 of 1
TerryBrink
Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:09 am Reply with quote
Joined: 11 Dec 2009 Posts: 13 Location: North Northumberland, England
I went and bought an "all in 1 HDD docking" thinking that it would handle the Toppy drive as well as SATA/IDE but the pin receptacles didn't fit. That's when I realised!
OK. I'm not familiar with this area since about 2000.
When I took it it out I saw that my 5810 drive is a WD5000AVJB. The spec from
http://www.cnet.com/products/wd-av-wd5000avjb-hard-drive-500-gb-ata-100/specs/
say that it it is an ATA-100.

So - where do I go from here please - there must be a dock somewhere!
TerryB
andyfras
Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:24 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3393
I use one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150841362195

I notice that all the "all in 1 HDD docking" on eBay suggest IDE compatibility, but one site has a note:

"The IDE slot won't work with Western Digital Drives. If you want one, please feel free to contact us."

It looks as though it should work:

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 320GB 2.5", Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScUUuWfZ
TerryBrink
Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for the reply.

The picture you show IS the one that I have. The WD AV WD5000AVJB however has 40 - 10 - 5(Power) pins. - 10 - pinset I guess may be controller?

The link that you give is also just SATA / IDE apparently. How do you get the 40/10 to work with that?
TerryB
andyfras
Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:47 pm Reply with quote
The 10 pins are for jumper settings; not for external connection. Just the 40 way and 4 pin power connection are required to run the he disk.

TerryBrink
Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Sorry to be obtuse. I've tried putting the drive in and then running TF Mac 5000 but it reports "no Topfield disc installed".
I can hear the drive spin up OK so I guess that it must be working?

Perhaps it's time to give up on the Toppy but I hate to lose all those files (cry from the heart!).
TerryB
andyfras
Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:43 pm Reply with quote
I don't know why it says that the "All in 1 HDD docking" won't work with Western Digital Drives, but that may be the cause of the problem you're seeing. Otherwise, the drive may be so corrupted that it's not being recognised as a Toppy drive. If that's the case, I suggest that you contact Geoff Bacon who may be able to recover your recordings.

Geoff Bacon
Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 3960
Hi Terry,

"no Topfield disc installed" could mean that the Mac isn't seeing the disk at all or it could mean it sees it but the initial blocks have been corrupted and no longer contain an identifying sequence of bytes

Your initial post just asked about disks; it didn't indicate that you had a problem with the one you have. So, does the disk currently function properly in the toppy ? If so, then the file structure is not damaged (or not badly anyway) and there must be another reason why TF Mac 5000 doesn't work i.e. the Mac isn't physically seeing the disk.

If you have a modern Mac, you could try running TopfHDRW in a windows emulator (I have no experience using a mac but others have done it). However, if it is the connection that is the issue then this is unlikely to work either.

If the disk is corrupted, I can recover the files for you using my own program (ToppyDiskMedic). The results are obviously dependent on the type of corruption but most recordings should be ok.

Note: If the disk does work in the toppy, you could just copy any files that are required directly while the disk is still in the toppy. Obviously, this is much slower than extracting the disk and directly connecting it to the Mac but might be easier to accomplish.

Sending PM

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; EPG2MEI v0.96; QuickJump 1.72; MyStuff 6.6; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3; MyInfo B5.6; WSSkiller V2.12d; CrashTrace v0.4; fsSave 1.1; PruneEPG 1.0;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 17/1/16
TerryBrink
Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for that Geoff.

There was no sign of corruption before removing the drive (The PSU is in for repair so I thought that I'd take the opportunity...)

I'll have a go at the Windows Emulator option to see what happens.

I notice that the TFmac 5000 option that I tried came from several years ago so perhaps it doesn't work on this.

We'll see what happens now....
TerryB
TerryBrink
Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Oh well! seemed like a good idea!
Attempts to d/l a couple of items today and TopfHDRW from toppy.org have just yielded the dreaded 404.

Try again tomorrow

TerryB
andyfras
Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:17 pm Reply with quote
https://sites.google.com/site/andyfraserelectronics/freeview-and-satellite-recorder-repair/topfield-pvr-faults/TopfHDRW_Setup.zip

Geoff Bacon
Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 3960
Hi Terry

As the disk was working before the psu problem, I expect it will continue to work after the psu is fixed. So I'm just wondering why you are trying to copy the data.
Is it because
1) You want to copy the data to a new "toppy" disk
2) You want to backup the data in case it gets lost
3) It seemed a good idea
or
4) some other reason!

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; EPG2MEI v0.96; QuickJump 1.72; MyStuff 6.6; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3; MyInfo B5.6; WSSkiller V2.12d; CrashTrace v0.4; fsSave 1.1; PruneEPG 1.0;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 17/1/16