Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  New users start here  ~  HELP Recent firmware auto downloaded & it wont power on

Page 1 of 1
PAWZ76
Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:37 pm Reply with quote
The firmware that has been running for as long as I can remember, was the recommended version from somewhere on this site, file: Recommended_5800.tfd and I think I must have installed it using 'Altair' because that is the only other thing in my 'Toppy' folder on my PC.

But sometime in the last couple of weeks, there was an automatic firmware update which said I had to rescan for channels or whatever. Then again yesterday, I think, it said the same thing and I had to rescan for channels.

Last night it woke me up because it was clicking on and off, constantly powering up and down by itself, so I had to press the power button to get it on and stay on, which it did, and then I powered it off. I haven't had it on since then but it has started powering up then down constantly again, but now I can't keep it on at all. The longest it stayed on was 1 second, & I saw the channel playing and the TV show info, but all I can do to stop it constantly rebooting is power it down by holding the power button. There is a red light on now next to 'Standby', and the time display. I'm thinking it can't be a coincidence with the firmware update, but now I can't keep it on to put the old firmware back on.

I'm sorry if there is already an answer somewhere in the forum, but I haven't found it so far, as I can only spend very short amounts of time at the computer, because I suffer from chronic back pain, so all this is killing me right now! So PLEASE HELP, or guide me to the answer somewhere in here?
albertd
Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 01 Jul 2010 Posts: 508
Welcome to the Toppy forum.

If it has been running "for as long as you can remember", I should think that this thread will probably be the likely answer:

http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20775

The original capacitors in the Power Supply Unit are renowned for failing and will cause all sorts of varying problems when they do. Your best course of action is to unplug the box from the mains (to avoid any damage) and get Andy to sort out the power supply for you.

TAPs PcControl B1.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MHEG On/Off A3; MyInfo B5.6; MyStuff 6.51 Pre Beta (12/10/13 version); SecCache (UK) v0.4; TF5000 Display v1.53; UK Subtitle 1.9
Chans 37 TV & 11 Radio.

Sig mainly generated by MyInfo on 25/8/14
juwlz
Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:50 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10773 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
PAWZ76 wrote:
The firmware that has been running for as long as I can remember, was the recommended version from somewhere on this site, file: Recommended_5800.tfd and I think I must have installed it using 'Altair' because that is the only other thing in my 'Toppy' folder on my PC.

But sometime in the last couple of weeks, there was an automatic firmware update which said I had to rescan for channels or whatever. Then again yesterday, I think, it said the same thing and I had to rescan for channels.
No there wasn't. There hasn't been an OTA update for the Toppy for many years, and there will never be another one.

Time to check out Toppy Repairs

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
PAWZ76
Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:00 pm Reply with quote
OK thanks, I have contacted him.
So you don't think it is a firmware problem? I have managed to remove the hard-drive and plugged it into my PC, in hope of changing the firmware back to how it was, but I can't find how to do that, if it is possible. Does the firmware go on the hard-drive or is it in the PVR itself? I really can't remember how I did it last time.
Cheers. Paul.
albertd
Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 01 Jul 2010 Posts: 508
If you are going to send your box to Andy, you would be best to put the drive back in and leave it as it is and he will put it to rights. Until the PSU is either sorted, or exonerated (unlikely) you cannot do anything sensible.

As Julie said, there have been no automatic updates to the firmware for many years.

But please, for your own sake, do not be tempted to plug the box back in the mains.

TAPs PcControl B1.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MHEG On/Off A3; MyInfo B5.6; MyStuff 6.51 Pre Beta (12/10/13 version); SecCache (UK) v0.4; TF5000 Display v1.53; UK Subtitle 1.9
Chans 37 TV & 11 Radio.

Sig mainly generated by MyInfo on 25/8/14
PAWZ76
Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:11 pm Reply with quote
[/quote]No there wasn't. There hasn't been an OTA update for the Toppy for many years, and there will never be another one.

Time to check out Toppy Repairs

Julie[/quote]

Sorry, I didn't see your post. Ah well I don't know what's going on with it then, because it definitely said the firmware has been updated, twice! So I just assumed it had downloaded overnight, but if like you have said, they don't do it anymore, I don't know what has happened.
I have pm'd Andy as 'albertd' suggested, to see about fixing it now.
Thanks. Paul.
juwlz
Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:12 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10773 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
PAWZ76 wrote:
Does the firmware go on the hard-drive or is it in the PVR itself? I really can't remember how I did it last time.
You probably used the MyStuff installer, and firmware lives on the PVR, not on the hard drive.

As albertd says, just unplug it from the mains, and let Andy sort it out. He'll reinstate the firmware for you (if necessary) anyway.

Julie

juwlz
Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:13 pm Reply with quote
PAWZ76 wrote:
Ah well I don't know what's going on with it then, because it definitely said the firmware has been updated, twice! So I just assumed it had downloaded overnight, but if like you have said, they don't do it any more, I don't know what has happened.
You got memory corruption and it lied.

PAWZ76
Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:14 pm Reply with quote
albertd wrote:
If you are going to send your box to Andy, you would be best to put the drive back in and leave it as it is and he will put it to rights. Until the PSU is either sorted, or exonerated (unlikely) you cannot do anything sensible.

As Julie said, there have been no automatic updates to the firmware for many years.

But please, for your own sake, do not be tempted to plug the box back in the mains.

OK, I willl take your advice. Thanks again. Smile