Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Bugs  ~  TF5800 - Remote control not working

Page 1 of 1
mstombs
Posted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:35 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 31 Dec 2006 Posts: 935
Its my spare, not been powered up for a while. Can control from front panel -rescan for channels etc. usb access to 1.5TB disk fine from usb, have disabled all taps, reloaded firmware, but this box will not respond to remote. Remotes work on a different Toppy, so it's not them or batteries!

PCB looks fine, tried jiggling the main board connector, in case it got knocked during hard-drive/ psu mods.

Is it likely the Front Panel IR Receiver just dies from lack of use?, Is Andy's advice to
"Replace with Vishay TSOP34836 or similar 36kHz photodiode" the best course of action? I don't think I'll try board swaps with working unit at this stage.

This Toppy has history, I bought it cheap dead (reboot loop) which was caused by one bulging capacitor, has then had the the previous recommended 13 done, so still some more to do to latest spec...
andyfras
Posted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:33 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3391
IR receiver fault is the most likely, but this usually affects the front panel buttons too.

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 320GB 2.5", Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScUUuWfZ
mstombs
Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 31 Dec 2006 Posts: 935
Thanks Andy for supply of new receiver - now working again!

I did need some help to clear solder from the IR holes, but the right size iron in the right hands + braid was all that was needed. I had all other solder joints on the front panel checked at same time