Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Bugs  ~  5810 started playing about

Page 1 of 1
mw2510
Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:45 pm Reply with quote
hi everyone. I was hoping I would be able to get some advise about my 5810. it has been unresponsive to the remote for several months now and I have lived with it, on Monday it suddenly lost all channels and had to be retuned. on Tuesday it refused to record, does this sound like the caps need replacing? thanks in advance,
mark.
p.s it is 4.5 years old now.

ccs
Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 2379
Sounds like you should have changed the caps last weekend.

Get them changed asap, and don't switch the toppy on again until you have.

Andyfras can supply a kit, or do the job for you for a very reasonable price.

ccsx
juwlz
Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:22 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10802 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
See Toppy Repairs for more info.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
C Nile
Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:27 am Reply with quote
Sorry if this is the wrong place, but noticed the 5810 link on the page. My problem is that even though my 5810 has worked great for years, and has been as good as new since a set of caps was replaced app 16 months ago obtained from Andyfras, I foolishly decided to do a Freeview re-scan last Friday, And since then it don't do a thing. The usual VFF comes on and after that finishes, the remote wont operate the unit, even though I can notice a flashing segment adjacent to the channel numbers position. ( batteries were changed with no effect ).In case of a corrupt tap, the unit was also re-booted with 0 held on the remote, but no change to my circumstances. Help me please
C Nile
Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:28 am Reply with quote
Sorry if this is the wrong place, but noticed the 5810 link on the page. My problem is that even though my 5810 has worked great for years, and has been as good as new since a set of caps was replaced app 16 months ago obtained from Andyfras, I foolishly decided to do a Freeview re-scan last Friday, And since then it don't do a thing. The usual VFF comes on and after that finishes, the remote wont operate the unit, even though I can notice a flashing segment adjacent to the channel numbers position. ( batteries were changed with no effect ).In case of a corrupt tap, the unit was also re-booted with 0 held on the remote, but no change to my circumstances. Help me please
andyfras
Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:33 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3391
I suggest that you disconnect the HDD to see if your Toppy works OK as receiver. If it works, a factory reset and retune would be a good idea. It may also be worth manually deleting some of the unwanted channels at this stage.

If possible, connect the disk to a PC running TopfHDRW, which will hopefully sort out any corruption.

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 320GB 2.5", Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScUUuWfZ
C Nile
Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Once again Andy, thanks for the assistance.
As suggested I disconnected the Hdd, and powered up the unit and everything worked OK. It was then I found that I had at least 3 or 4 versions of each station, probably making the system "hang" due to 3-400 channels being available. I then manually deleted the duplicates of Tv and Radio stations and all the junk associated with them. Once the unit seemed to function as it should, I powered off, reconnected the Hdd, and restarted.
Back to square one, unit working great, so thanks for your help.
andyfras
Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3391
On all Toppies it's vital to do a factory reset to clear old channels before standard retuning, as the Toppy does not do this itself.

Top Manager and Channel Organiser clear the channels first before retuning, so these are the recommended method. They are also the best way to ensure that only a single transmitter is scanned too.

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 320GB 2.5", Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScUUuWfZ
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 3941
@C Nile

As you have found, manually scanning of channels is error prone (as is manually deleting channels when more than one transmitter is present).

Please post the output of the MyInfo tap so that we can check your configuration is now correct.

For future scans, you should use TM or CO as these eliminate most problems. They are also much much much easier than doing it manually.

Note: TM can also set up a forum signature for you.

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; EPG2MEI v0.96; QuickJump 1.72; MyStuff 6.6; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3; MyInfo B5.6; WSSkiller V2.12d; CrashTrace v0.4; fsSave 1.1; PruneEPG 1.0;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 17/1/16