Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Bugs  ~  Lost access to HDD

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2
louischiron
Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:50 pm Reply with quote
I have now made some progress with this (i'll try to remember everything thats happened!)

When I refreshed TopfHDRW the duplicate files/folders in the /ProgramFiles have disappeared - i'm guessing this is due to action by TopfHDDoctor.

Without the HDD in the box, the toppy works just fine - remote and all (yes Geoff, i did check the batteries Rolling Eyes Wink ).

Unfortunately i missed Geoff's note to leave the .ss until after scanning and matching (they're still in my Recycle bin and can put them back if necessary). So i deleted them and then put the HDD back in the box.

As the remote worked without the HDD in I tried to load the Toppy tapless with the HDD in and it worked. I could now navigate around the system, my files were there (although not the recordings in the missing folders mentioned earlier).

So I used Altair to look through the /Autostart folder and it has the following files:

eit_sub_game.tap
Extend.log
Extend.tap
PcControl.tap
seccacheUK.tap

Thinking one of those files was the culprit I tried removing each one in turn and restarting in order to identify the corrupt file however this didn't work.
But when i removed all of the files from /Autostart the Toppy starts and is responsive (albeit in its native format).

I have tried to run fscheck but nothing happens and the Toppy crashes leaving me having to switch it off at the wall.

My /MyStuff folder is empty and the HDDInfo.tap doesn't work. My MyInfo.tap has also disappeared.

I am guessing that there is something wrong with the /Programfiles file structure.

For info i have reproduced my file structure below:

/Programfiles
/Autostart
eit_sub_game.tap
Extend.log
Extend.tap
PcControl.tap
seccacheUK.tap

/InstallerFirmware
/Add
[Ab]AcurateBM.tfp
[Cp]ClickPush.tfp
[De]DescExt_06_Genre.tfp
[Sl]SeriesLink_03.tfp
[Te]TAPCurrEv_03.tfp /456
[Re]RemExt.tfp
[Wf]WindFaster_08.tfp
/457
[Pe] PlugEIT_05.tfp
/458
[Re]RemExt.tfp

/Logs (empty)

/PcControl
PccCommandFile.txt

/Settings
Freeview.dat
/Mystuff (empty)

/Utilities
fastscangui.tap
fsCheck.tap
FwLoad.tap
HDDInfo.tap
PcControl.tap
SignalMonitor.tap

I don't know what the correct /Programfiles structure looks like or how to restore it but i think Juwlz mentioned elsewhere on this site that if i delete ALL the contents of /Programfiles (apart from the folder itself) then the Toppy will automatically recreate them.

Is that correct?

I do have the vast majority of my recordings yet i am missing those that i put into separate folders. I haven't yet run the Scan and Match but would like to try this on the unallocated part to find the missing recordings - although i don't want to risk losing those i already have.

I want to make sure that i fix the underlying problem here so need to make sure i carry out the steps in the right order to rectify this. I was thinking of doing the following:

1. run S&M in TopfHDRW first (without any formatting).
    2. delete all contents of /Programfiles using TopfHDRW
    3. put the disk back in the Toppy and allow it to repopulate /Programfiles with the native files.
    4. flash the latest firmware
    5. Run fsCheck and HDDInfo taps and report them
    6. load mystuff

Would this work or am i just about to nuke my Toppy?!?!?!

Geoff Bacon
Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 3960
I don't know why fsCheck crashes; it may be that your disk corruption breaks the logic in the tap or possibly the tap itself has been corrupted.

Do you have a lot of room on your pc disk?

If so, I would use TopfHDRW to copy all your recording onto the pc. This preserves what you do have.

Having done that, I would attempt the Scan and Match. Any recordings it recovers will appear in \DataFiles. Several of these will be short or be 0GB in size. Although some may have the correct names, a large number will have names along the lines of Unknown_000nnn (I can't remember exactly what the names are). Only those with a large size will be of any use and you might have to play them or use the info key to discover what they are so that they can be renamed.

You don't have any MyStuff data files to recover so, if possible
1) copy any of these newly recovered recordings to your pc.
2) format the disk IN THE TOPPY
3) Reinstall the taps and MyStuff (You shouldn't need to change the firmware again, this isn't stored on the disk, but it wouldn't hurt)
4) Check it is all working
5) Attach disk to pc and copy your saved recordings onto it.
6) Put the disk back in the toppy

Doing the above means that you start with a clean disk and should hopefully avoid further problems.

Finally, use TopManager| SnapShot| Take so that you have a copy of \ProgramFiles

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; EPG2MEI v0.96; QuickJump 1.72; MyStuff 6.6; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3; MyInfo B5.6; WSSkiller V2.12d; CrashTrace v0.4; fsSave 1.1; PruneEPG 1.0;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 17/1/16
ccs
Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 2399
louischiron wrote:
Info: Used: 125 files; 16 directories; 87407 clusters; 156.7 GB; 67.3%
The first disc doctor log you posted suggested that all your folders still existed.

ccsx
louischiron
Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Unfortunately i don't have a drive with anywhere near enough free space - maybe now is a good time to do some extensive pruning Sad .

Geoff, i'll follow your instructions and see whether that gets me.

Just so that i understand things a bit better - how will the file structure be repaired? Will this be wiped and reloaded by the firmware or by the Toppy. Or will this happen on installation of MyStuff? I have a feeling that some system files are in the wrong place and other are missing but i don't know what is missing or where they should go.

Quote:

ccs wrote:

The first disc doctor log you posted suggested that all your folders still existed.

I'm not sure what that test includes (i.e. whether its just my recordings or not) but i reckon i can find a total of 15 or 16 folders and close to 125 files on the box as it is - comprising both recordings, the taps and the folders in the file structure.
I know i am definitely missing at least 2 folders with some 50ish recordings in.

ccs
Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:12 pm Reply with quote
When you've copied as much as you can, reformatting the drive in the toppy will recreate the file structure.

ccsx
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Make a paper list of all your recordings.
Divide it into categories e.g.
1) programmes that will be repeated at some time e.g. films
2) part watched series or soaps that you haven't yet caught up with.

Attempt to copy those in cat 2 (be brutal, if something is old then give it lower priority as you would have watched it if you really wanted it).
If you still have any room (unlikely), copy off some of cat 1

After rebuilding the disk and copying back the saved recordings, set PSes for the cat 1 programmes (you will probably end up recording them before you would have wanted to watch them anyway).

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; EPG2MEI v0.96; QuickJump 1.72; MyStuff 6.6; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3; MyInfo B5.6; WSSkiller V2.12d; CrashTrace v0.4; fsSave 1.1; PruneEPG 1.0;
louischiron
Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:52 am Reply with quote
Quote:

When you've copied as much as you can, reformatting the drive in the toppy will recreate the file structure.

Thanks ccs. That makes things a bit clearer.

Geoff, nice tip Smile - i hadn't really thought of it like that before. Given the age of some of the recordings (2009 ish Shocked ) i'm sure they'll be repeated before i get round to watching them.

Just bought a new plasma so its a great excuse for a marathon session of TV watching to free up some space Wink.

I'll report back on progress later this week.

Thanks for the help this far

ccs
Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:38 am Reply with quote
Another solution would be to put in a new disc, and then copy back as much as you want, when you want.

ccsx
louischiron
Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Yes, I was looking into replacing the HDD before this all started but looking at various threads on here I wasn't convinced how successful this would be - a lot of people appear to have their new drives fail at some point - if not immediately then at some later stage. At the mo I was thinking that I'd sit it out until I knew whether the HDD was corrupt or not.

Also I just know that if I put in a larger drive then I'd end up recording even more things that I never got round to watching Smile

Anyway I think I have an old HDD kicking around so I'll hook it up to the laptop and use it as a temporary repository for anything I want to keep.

2 questions:
- I'll use HDRW for the big files but would you recommend Antares over Altair for all other day-to-day transfers and firmware/my stuff upgrades etc (I've always used Altair up to now but see on other threads that it might be a bit flaky)?

- (To further my understanding of the machine) Am I right in thinking that when the Toppy ships,it comes with just 3 folders on the HDD, /Programfiles, /Datafiles and /MP3 all of which are completely empty? Or does it have some files/folders in there and if so, what?

Geoff Bacon
Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Basically you can use either Antares or Altair as you wish.

Antares is a more up-to-date mechanism for transferring files and works on "all" windows systems; Altair only used to work on XP and Vista but, now that there is a Dll files, can work on windows 7/8 (but it has a dated interface). When transferring files from the toppy, if these files have invalid pc names e.g. a colon in them, Altair will work for ages and then fail whereas Antares will substitute characters to allow the transfer to complete.

[edit]You can also use TopManager to transfer files provided they are in the \ProgramFiles tree[/edit]

The disk comes with nothing on it, the 3 folders are automatically created by the toppy operating system if they are missing i.e. on first use

Geoff

ccs
Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:33 pm Reply with quote
This link might help, whether or not you use a new disc drive.

(I wouldn't be put off putting in a new drive.)

ccsx
YorkshireJumbo
Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 16 Sep 2005 Posts: 682
Bit late now, but another thing you can do in the future is to use Antares to make a regular backup of all your key files. I did this after bad reception wiped my 500Gb disk, which replaecd the 160GB one. It became too complicated to go through TopfHDRW and recover everything, so I started from scratch. Most of the stuff I lost has since been repeated Smile

I've now got a 1Tb disk attached to a USB hub which also has a USB extension lead to my Toppy. I've got a windows file which backs up my TAP folders and all recordings - it ignores stuff in the Recycle Bin. I run this as often as I get access to the girls' laptop - just plug in the USB hub, wait for the drive and Toppy to mount, and run the batch file.

I have to go through manually and delete old recordings off my backup as Antares doesn't have any method of checking just for the existence (or not) of files on the Toppy, but it does mean I have a copy if the disk does get wiped or die. I now treat it as the same as backing up my PCs

TAPs: MS 6.6 Suite, UK OZ Surfer
DB1
Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:15 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Mar 2005 Posts: 728 Location: Orpington
I do have a perl script in beta that will do just that - Make a backup *and*keep it backup in sync.

TF5800, F/W: 5.13.65AbBfBqC0CbCeCkCwCyDEcEeEfErEsEvEzFFsGmHHeIKtNfOtPPcPePsRRaRhRpRsSSdSrStT2TdTfTpUUuXXpXwXl TAPs: TF5000 Display v1.53; QuickJump 1.72; Power Manager v2.2; MyInfo B5.6; DescriptionExtender 2.23; Remote Extender 1.6; Archivev1.0a; mei2archive BETA 3.8l7; EPGnavigator v5.1c; UK Auto Scheduler v0.73.1; Extend v1.7; Power Restore V0.7.8
Tx: CP
Sig generated by MyInfo on 14/4/13