Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Computer connections  ~  Aldarin's tfdll.dll now available for 64-bit Windows

Page 1 of 7
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
qubits
Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 26 May 2010 Posts: 164 Location: Australia
Great news, everyone. Aldarin has provided me with a version of his tfdll.dll which works with the same USB driver that Antares uses. This means that all the standard Topfield tools can now be used in 64-bit Windows!

Aldarin has asked me to link to his new tfdll.dll from the Antares homepage, which I have now done.

Of course, this now makes Antares redundant, but I don't mind too much! Smile

Please let us know your experiences getting the new tfdll.dll to work. It seemed to work perfectly for me, but Aldarin has advised that there are circumstances where remnants of the official drivers in the Windows directory can cause problems.

Another potential hurdle is that Windows 7 sometimes prevents you from deleting or replacing .dll files associated with installed applications. The only way I found to get around this was to run a command prompt with Administrator privileges, and doing the delete and copy operations from within that.

Last edited by qubits on Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:38 am; edited 2 times in total
EMJB
Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 08 Jul 2005 Posts: 3463 Location: Maldon Essex
qubits wrote:
Great news, everyone. Aldarin has provided me with a version of his tfdll.dll which works with the same USB driver that Antares uses. This means that all the standard Topfield tools can now be used in 64-bit Windows!

Is this compatible with the USB accelerator patches? If not many people will experience problems which they may attribute to more fundamental deficiences in driver or the new dll.

EMJB
Aldarin
Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 30 Apr 2005 Posts: 49 Location: Vienna
EMJB wrote:
Is this compatible with the USB accelerator patches?

Yes

Aldarin
EMJB
Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 08 Jul 2005 Posts: 3463 Location: Maldon Essex
[quote="Aldarin"]
EMJB wrote:
qubits wrote:
Is this compatible with the USB accelerator patches?

Yes

Aldarin

Great, thanks.

EMJB
dedics
Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 07 Aug 2005 Posts: 310
I've tried to get the new driver to work with windows7 64bt, but it doesn't seem to want to recognise the new driver even though I uninstalled the old driver first.

Actually it's a new machine and I don't think I've installed any funny drivers yet anyway. What is this command window stuff you mention? Could we have a step by step guide for dummies?

Thanks in advance
Dedics

Sig generated by MyInfo on 24/9/09
Iken
Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 13 Jul 2006 Posts: 109 Location: Hertfordshire, Sandy Heath Tx
@qubits, Aldarin & EMJB

My sincere thanks to all of you for the sterling effort that's been put into this - the new dll works perfectly here in Altair and ToppyUpdater on Win7 Pro 64-bit.

@qubits
I know Antares is basically redundant but it still looks nicer! Besides, you deserve credit for getting this particularly gratifying little ball rolling. Mr. Green

As I already had the Winusb drivers installed, I ran the TopfieldTools installer and cancelled the driver installation when the big red warning screen came up. The installation of the tools themselves still completes.
I then replaced all of the relevant dll's and bingo! Everything works!

@dedics
Is the old Toppy driver mentioned anywhere in Device Manager? If so, right-click and uninstall it.
Then delete any mention of Ncgen.sys and Tfbulk.* in C;\Windows and it's sudirectories and try again, following the procedure on qubit's Antares website, or what I did above. Hope that helps!

Last Updated 21/10/2013
™
qubits
Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:14 am Reply with quote
dedics wrote:
Actually it's a new machine and I don't think I've installed any funny drivers yet anyway. What is this command window stuff you mention? Could we have a step by step guide for dummies?

If you've never installed any of the standard Topfield tools or drivers before, and you only care about running Altair, then the following should be a fairly foolproof way of getting Altair to run under 64-bit windows. (And it doesn't involve using a command window with administrator privileges).
1) Create a folder called "Altair" inside your My Documents folder.
2) Download Altair_1.250.zip from the Topfield website. Unzip the file so that its contents are in your new Altair folder.
3) Of the new files that you unzipped, delete the following: tfdll.dll, tfbulk.sys, and tfbulk.ini.
4) Copy Aldarin's version of tfdll.dll to your Altair folder.
5) Follow all the instructions for installing Antares. Run Antares.exe, and verify that it can access the Topfield (thus verifying that the drivers were installed correctly).
6) Now you should just be able to double click Altair_1.250.exe whenever you wish to run Altair.
dedics
Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:32 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the advice, after some attempts I managed to get the new driver to load and all seems fine now.

Thanks for the help.

dedics

osmyth
Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 17 Apr 2009 Posts: 50
Thanks to the guys for this solution.
I had gone down the route of VMWare using XP, but that is now redundant!
Manually loaded the driver and Altair connected fine, copying across my first file to the Win 7 laptop.
Thanks again.
dedics
Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:13 am Reply with quote
ok I've managed to get the driver installed, but when I try to copy files from the toppy to the pc, using either altair or topset, I get nowhere, they just seize up.

I am using the usb accelrator patches in my firmware, is this my problem? or is there some other trick I am missing?

help would be much appreciated...

dedics

qubits
Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:50 am Reply with quote
dedics wrote:
ok I've managed to get the driver installed, but when I try to copy files from the toppy to the pc, using either altair or topset, I get nowhere, they just seize up.

I am using the usb accelrator patches in my firmware, is this my problem? or is there some other trick I am missing?

Weird... I don't know what the problem might be, dedics. It's probably not the usb accelerator patches, since they haven't caused problems for others.

Have you tried using Antares? If not, it might be a good experiment to try it. Antares doesn't use tfdll.dll, so it could help narrow down where the problem lies.
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Jan 2007 Posts: 2988 Location: Bristol ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ Windows XP, USB
@dedics:

I assume that you are trying to copy recordings from the toppy to the PC. Do the names of these recordings contain invalid characters?
(Invalid characters are \ / : * ? " < > |). If they are invalid, you will either have to rename the file or use a different transfer program (Antares or TopSet?)

Try copying a small file from the ProgramFiles area to prove that it is working. Also try copying a test file back to the toppy (and delete afterwards).

Cheers
Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; QuickJump 1.72; MyInfo B5.6; Font Manager 1.0d; EPG2MEI v0.96; CrashTrace v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; Extend v1.7; WSSkiller V2.12d; SecCache (UK) v0.4; MyStuff 6.5;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 6/9/13
™
dedics
Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:31 am Reply with quote
I can copy small files to and fro fine using topset, but altar and antares don't seem to be working, the toppy crashes.

after a reboot, antares comes up with this set of error info

>>System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path 'C:\Doctor Who_100605.rec' is denied.
at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)
at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share)
at Antares.Form1.button2_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4927 (NetFXspW7.050727-4900)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
Antares
Assembly Version: 1.0.3804.435
Win32 Version:
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Ian%20%26%20Hilda/Downloads/Antares.exe
msvcm90
Assembly Version: 9.0.30729.4926
Win32 Version: 9.00.30729.4926
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/WinSxS/x86_microsoft.vc90.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_9.0.30729.4926_none_508ed732bcbc0e5a/msvcm90.dll
System.Windows.Forms
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

can you tell me what's happening?

dedics

qubits
Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:58 am Reply with quote
dedics wrote:

can you tell me what's happening?

dedics

Ah, yes, I can explain why Antares is crashing. Unfortunately it's partially my fault Confused
Windows 7 doesn't usually let programs write files directly to the "root directory" of the C drive. In other words, you must save files inside a folder, not directly in C:\. If Antares worked properly, it would warn you that you were trying to save a file somewhere you shouldn't, but instead it crashes. (I'll have this fixed in v0.3, which will be ready in the next day or so).

So to prevent this crash you could (for example) create a "topfield" directory on your C drive (using windows explorer) and copy your files there instead. Or, select an appropriate existing folder such as your home folder (for example, C:\users\dedics, if "dedics" were your windows 7 user name).

However, the fact that your toppy is crashing seems to be another problem, and I'm puzzled by it.
dedics
Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:57 am Reply with quote
hmm...
that still wouldn't explain why it also crashes when I try to copy from the toppy a large file using topset, because that is copying into a directory on the disk.

It copies small files fine but large ones not at all, could it be a dividing by a big number error when trying to calculate disc space to make available for the file transfer?

The toppy crashes into the four flickering dots mode which would seem to indicate it is waiting for some sort of instruction to finish.

dedics