Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  New users start here  ~  New to the 5810

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
GJM
Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Sep 2006 Posts: 223
Long term 5800 user here with no taps and add ons etc, standard EPG and was totally happy to run it like that as were all the family.

Anyway it broke and now replaced with a 5810 but things not going to plan.

Can someone briefly explain what I need to make it operate just as basic as possible with little or no meddling.

Remote seems unresponsive having a right mess around just to watch the tv without silly things happening.

Comes up now with font manager settings but wont go away.

Is there some sort of patch / recomended firmware to make this work properly.

Also only have Windows 7 now, is there a usb transfer program that works with that

The OK button would not do as it's meant to ie OK happy with the font

So rebooted yet again and back to sqaure one....Firmware was changed, blah blah, will you proceed it....yes or no, wont OK either of them.

So my journey into 5810 ownership is not doing too well just yet

Model: TF5810PVR. Firmware: 5.15.09T - Sept 02-2010 - Transmitter: Durris. Taps - SecCache(UK) V0.4 * MPDisplayLITE V1.2 * Extend v1.7 * Font Manger 1.0d * EIT Sub (Game) v0.6 * EPG2MEI v0.96 * MHEG On/Off A3 * My Stuff 6.4 * My Info B5.6
andyfras
Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3004 Location: Fleet, Hampshire (Hannington)
If you move all of the TAPs out of AutoStart, the 5810 will revert to its native interface.

The remote will still be less responsive than the 5800 though. Turning off interactive will help.

I take it that it's a second-hand 5810? In which case, it may need some new PSU capacitors, as the originals can start to fail after 2 years. You might consider the same treatment for your 5800 too.

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 1TB with fan, Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScWfZ
GJM
Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:04 pm Reply with quote
I haven't a clue about TAP's and to be honest I was happy to run that way with the 5800, regardless of how good My Stuff might be etc, each to their own.

I've just set up Altair 1.250 on Windows 7 and plugged in USB but doesn't seem to recognise anything.

It's responsive in the fact that it's communicating just not doing what it's told, ie firmware was changed blah blah....it will toggle between yes and no but OK does nothing.

It's not new but refurbished with the capacitors, so far give me the basic 5800 with nothing done to it any day of the week.

As for the 5810 remote layout and look, it's horrendous, can you make the old remote work, guess not

Model: TF5810PVR. Firmware: 5.15.09T - Sept 02-2010 - Transmitter: Durris. Taps - SecCache(UK) V0.4 * MPDisplayLITE V1.2 * Extend v1.7 * Font Manger 1.0d * EIT Sub (Game) v0.6 * EPG2MEI v0.96 * MHEG On/Off A3 * My Stuff 6.4 * My Info B5.6
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Jan 2007 Posts: 2891 Location: Bristol ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ Windows XP, USB
Altair won't work "straight out of the box" on W7.

Install this driver instead.

Then install TopManager (link in my signature) and
1) Connection| Settings - set up a USB connection
2) Connection| Open
3) Tools| DLLs| Display
4) Look for the FixDLL icon at start of a line
5) Right Click and fix it (you probably need to be logged in as an administrator for this to work as W7 security will block it otherwise)

You should now be able to run Altair (provided you close TM first).
TopManager can perform many operations so read the help file (press F1 on any screen). TopManager can process files in the \ProgramFiles directories i.e. taps and configuration files so you probably don't need Altair especially if you install Antares instead (an improved Altair - my words)

Having installed the driver (as above), the easiest way to get the software updated is probably to use the full MyStuff installer - you can always rename MyStuff.tap if you don't like it (but it totally transforms the toppy). I believe that there is a windows installer for the firmware if you don't want to put MyStuff on.

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; QuickJump 1.72; MyInfo B5.6; Font Manager 1.0d; EPG2MEI v0.96; CrashTrace v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; Extend v1.7; WSSkiller V2.12d; SecCache (UK) v0.4; MyStuff 6.5;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 6/9/13
™
GJM
Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Quick one, I did a search and some say try an empty settings but nothing seems to be happening when trying it at all, still get this garbage about firmware changed, yes no

Trying to use TFDN-USB, is that ok to use too?

GJM
Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Now found this

http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=213841

But the flash of empty settings does not work unless doing it wrong which don't think I am and holding zero has no effect either

GJM
Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Geoff Bacon wrote:

2) Connection| Open
3) Tools| DLLs| Display
5) Right Click and fix it (you probably need to be logged in as an administrator for this to work as W7 security will block it otherwise)

Geoff

Tried al this and getting nowhere other than pissed off, bloody be going out the windo at this rate and steal my dads old humax...least it's switch on and it works

GJM
Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:12 am Reply with quote
zadig finds no device

GJM
Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:21 am Reply with quote
Geoff Bacon wrote:

2) Connection| Open
3) Tools| DLLs| Display

Geoff

Rebooted again....having issues with 4. Not seeing any fixDLL icon?

andyfras
Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:20 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3004 Location: Fleet, Hampshire (Hannington)
GJM wrote:
Can someone briefly explain what I need to make it operate just as basic as possible with little or no meddling.

andyfras wrote:
If you move all of the TAPs out of AutoStart, the 5810 will revert to its native interface.

You don't need a PC connection to do this.

Boot with the 0 button held until the picture appears, to prevent any TAPs loading.

Select Archive, (<<), Program Files, AutoStart

Select the MyStuff TAP, press the Yellow button, OK - this will move MyStuff out of AutoStart into Program Files (it can be moved back later if required). Repeat for Font Manager.

Reboot

Other TAPs can also be moved in this way if required, but some of them help with the native interface too.

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 1TB with fan, Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScWfZ
juwlz
Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:38 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10278 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
You could just send your 5800 to andyfras for repair (use the pm button in his post above to ask for details) and ditch the 5810 altogether. Or to MikeyP.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
juwlz
Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:00 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10278 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
In the meantime, as Andy says, move MyStuff and FontManager out of Auto Start, using the remote control as described above. And go into the menu to turn off Interactive Services to improve the response from the remote.

Leave EPG2MEI, SecCache, Eit_sub, Extend and MyInfo in Auto Start. They're useful (some fix bugs and others provide useful behind the scenes functionality), and won't affect the way the user interface looks.

I'm guessing that you're having problems because whoever sold you the box left MyStuff installed and didn't warn you to delete unwanted channels when you retuned it. As a consequence, you've had a memory corruption, which is what's making the box think you've had a firmware update. You'll need to get the old-fashioned firmware update tool working to flash EmptySettings to fix that.

If you decide to stick with the 5810, there is a patch that you can install which will make it work with your old 5800 remote (and stop it working with its own).

But let's just get the basics sorted first, before we start trying to install patches.

Julie

Geoff Bacon
Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:25 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Jan 2007 Posts: 2891 Location: Bristol ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ Windows XP, USB
EmptySettings only takes about 2 seconds to work; I'm not sure you see anything on the screen (it is only doing a factory reset).

Actually, I don't think you can use TFDN-USB pn Window 7.
Henry was going to provide (has provided?) this capability in the Antares suite.

Assuming you can boot tapless (holding down "0"), there is no need to run EmptySettings anyway.

You said that the "Zadig" driver didn't install. This is why TopManager didn't show any "Fix Dll" icons. Basically, you need to connect to the toppy with TM and it will then flag any DLLs that don't match the one that it is using (if you had managed to connect, it should have flagged the one used by Altair).

When you power the toppy on, does the pc detect it with a "dong"? (assuming W7 does this still). If not, then the toppy is not connected to the pc (bad cable?, damaged USB ports?)

[edit]Note: if you did manage to connect with TopManager (you said you had problems with step 4 which is after the open), then try to see if "Display| MyInfo Log" works (it will be greyed out if there isn't a file). It it does, then Ctrl A, Ctrl C, respond to this thread and Ctrl V[/edit]
Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; QuickJump 1.72; MyInfo B5.6; Font Manager 1.0d; EPG2MEI v0.96; CrashTrace v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; Extend v1.7; WSSkiller V2.12d; SecCache (UK) v0.4; MyStuff 6.5;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 6/9/13
™
alan_m
Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:40 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Oct 2006 Posts: 3123 Location: Southchurch Village, Southend-on-Sea
Geoff Bacon wrote:
EmptySettings only takes about 2 seconds to work; I'm not sure you see anything on the screen (it is only doing a factory reset).

From memory, it gives the same on screen messages as seen when loading firmware. You are correct it only takes about 2 seconds but it should finish with the word "end" on screen.

The problem with the connection is probably Windows 7 and not the Toppy. The Toppy was designed and in the market place long before Windows 7 was a twinkle in Billy Gates eye. Many of the utilities that worked perfectly with an older operating system on a PC can break when downgrading a PC to Win7. Just wait until Win8 Sad Sad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZEnssVjb2g

Even if the OP gets his 5810 back to a factory machine (or more importantly a factory machine with the recommended firmware from this site) he may still need to run a few TAPs that overcome some of the Toppy's bugs.

juwlz
Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:36 pm Reply with quote
alan_m wrote:
Even if the OP gets his 5810 back to a factory machine (or more importantly a factory machine with the recommended firmware from this site) he may still need to run a few TAPs that overcome some of the Toppy's bugs.
If it's had MyStuff installed, it will already have recommended firmware and all those TAPs installed (hence my suggestion above, which will achieve precisely that).

Julie