Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  New users start here  ~  Happy ending ... and very proud of myself

Page 1 of 1
j-u-l-e-s
Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Thought my tale might encourage others like me - female with basic computer skills, no electronic etc skills and slightly owerawed by the technical knowhow of most of the posters.

A while ago my 5810 suddenly developed the V F&F loop problems often mentioned here. I tried all the recommendations - empty settings etc with no luck. I've gone back to my original and trusty 5800 but disappointed to lose my recordings.

Finally, I opened the box and removed the hard drive - fiddly but a useful recommendation somewhere on here was to use a magnetic screwdriver. Did some research on what connections I needed to read from a laptop for 40 pin hard drive - IDE connection. Bought from ebay for 6.

Using TopfHDRW initially was no good - said abort,retry,cancel. My final try was with TopfHDDoctor. After a bit of listing details it said "overwrite disk" and I said "yes" as I had nothing to lose. Back to TopfHDRW and this time ... hooray ... all the recordings were visible. Saved the important ones to my laptop.

I then tried the toppy without the HD and it booted up fine and gave the message about a firmware update? So I thought I would try putting the HD in again now that the files were backed up. It works fine!! Surprised Laughing

I shall only be using it to view the stored material as I have returned to my 5800 so I'm hoping not to have the same problems again.

Julia

Bizman
Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Apr 2010 Posts: 1054 Location: Taunton, Somerset
You are probably not out of the woods yet if the power supply capacitors have not been renewed in recent years.

PSU Caps 2/2011 Tx: Mendip. TV: Bush L322LED (22"), UPS, DVD-R: Panasonic DMR EH-50, STB: Labgear FV300. PC Acer Aspire One with Win7
juwlz
Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:58 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10381 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
j-u-l-e-s wrote:
I thought I would try putting the HD in again now that the files were backed up. It works fine!! Surprised Laughing

I shall only be using it to view the stored material as I have returned to my 5800 so I'm hoping not to have the same problems again.
Well done ... but don't feel too smug until the PSU has been repaired. So far, you have only fixed the symptoms, not the cause. Without a PSU repair, you are almost guaranteed to get more disk problems, and possibly other problems too. And now that it's happened once, it probably won't be long before it happens again.

See Toppy Repairs for how to DIY, or where to send it for very cost-effective service.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
j-u-l-e-s
Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:22 am Reply with quote
Thanks to both ... I take your comments on board. Very useful link too.