Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  New users start here  ~  Trouble Installing a TF5400PVR

Page 1 of 1
cassandraj
Posted: Thu May 17, 2012 8:25 am Reply with quote
Hi, could anyone help me. I have just purchased this Topfield 5400 PVR and wasn't aware that it hooked up to satellite as well - guess who doesn't have a satellite dish Laughing So I am totally lost and have heaps of other installation problems. Any help out there? Cheers Cassandra
andyfras
Posted: Thu May 17, 2012 10:16 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3004 Location: Fleet, Hampshire (Hannington)
What do you need to know?

Here is a link to the manual:

http://www.turbosatdownloads.com/index.php?option=com_rokdownloads&view=file&task=download&id=1772%3Atf5400pvr-manual&Itemid=11

Did you buy it second-hand? If so, it may need its PSU capacitors replacing as it uses the same PSU as the 5800.

You could use it as a single tuner Freeview receiver and ignore the satellite connection.

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 1TB with fan, Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScWfZ
HydeTheDarkerSide
Posted: Thu May 17, 2012 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 11 May 2005 Posts: 5889 Location: Hannington Transmitter : Sony KDL 40Z5800
@cassandraj

I'm assuming from your email addr that you're still based in Australia?

If so I can move your post to the Oz Toppies section of the forum. Wink

MyStuff Links: http://www.toppy.org.uk/~mystuff/index.shtml
Sig generated by MyInfo on 11/10/13
cassandraj
Posted: Fri May 18, 2012 12:39 am Reply with quote
Hi there, thank you for your reply. No. I bought it new. I thought of using it as a single tuner as well but it won't let me watch another channel while recording, this makes it quite difficult. I am also unable to use the scart. I am only able to receive using the red/white/yellow cords, which is only allowing me to go through AV. I am very confused. I have read through the manual for days and its not helping me much. Cheers, Cassandra
alan_m
Posted: Fri May 18, 2012 5:14 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Oct 2006 Posts: 3123 Location: Southchurch Village, Southend-on-Sea
cassandraj wrote:
Hi there, thank you for your reply. No. I bought it new. I thought of using it as a single tuner as well but it won't let me watch another channel while recording, this makes it quite difficult.

In general, you need a twin tuner to let you watch any other channel when recording one. However, should be able to watch a limited number of channels whilst recording - you should be able to watch the other channels on the same transmitter MUX.

In your case the second tuner requires a satellite dish/feed.

Quote:

I am also unable to use the scart. I am only able to receive using the red/white/yellow cords, which is only allowing me to go through AV. I am very confused. I have read through the manual for days and its not helping me much.

Have you got a fully wired SCART cable? Or are you using some S**t cable that you've had hanging around that came with some other equipment? An example of a poor cable is the 4th example at
http://www.admac.myzen.co.uk/scart2/
Fully wired and fully screened SCART cables can be obtained in the UK for a couple of quid so don't go and spend silly money on a cable!

The SCART output carries more than one video standard. On the Toppy you can change which video standard you output and on the TV you also have to select the same standard. To complicate matters a bit further the TV may have more than one SCART input and not all inputs support all of the video options.

By default the Toppy will output RGB (Red/Green/Blue) on the top SCART connection. Plug this into one of the SCART connections on your TV. On the TV select the AV input that the Toppy is connected to, say AV 1. Your TV may have a menu to select the video standard for AV1 - see if it has the option for RGB.

If this doesn't work try plugging the SCART cable into AV2.

Then repeat after going back to the Toppy menu (A/V output settings - video output) and changing the video output type.
For some standards you will need a different type of cable.

Also, the quality of the video will be different for each of the standards
RGB = best
Component = best - but probably requires a different cable to the TV
S-Video = medium
Composite = Worst and is the same as you are using on the yellow lead