Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Firmwares, enhancements and upgrades  ~  Playback stops on occaisions - caps changed, new HDD?

Page 1 of 1
JoRogan
Posted: Tue May 01, 2012 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Hi All

First of all a big thank you to all the contributors on this site, been really helpful over the years in running my toppy. Very Happy

Recently noticed playback and chase dropping out every now and then, also pixelation and remote not always responding (usually when a recording starts). Changed all 13 caps out (many thanks AndyFras) and problems cleared up apart from the playback and chase dropping out - happens about 2 or 3 times during a film. Signal/quality levels all seem ok and no obvious pattern as to which channels it occurs on.

So my thoughts turned to the HDD and seeing as though we are always hovering about the 10% free space level I thought this would be worth changing out next with larger model as per stickies.

I made use of HDD info V2.3a and the info it gave was quite useful, though I am not sure how to interpret it really, looking up on wiki it points to enough reasons to consider faulty HDD. I made a note of the figures and these have incresed buy a point or two coinciding with playback issues experienced today:

Code:

RAW figures given

Raw Read Error Rate             91
Current Pending Sector         883
Uncorrectable Sector Count     878
UDMA CRC Error Count          1044
Write Preamp Errors            634

Anyone else have any ideas or can confirm HDD does now look suspect?

Cheers

andyfras
Posted: Tue May 01, 2012 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3054 Location: Fleet, Hampshire (Hannington)
That's a lot of errors. The uncorrectable sectors suggest that the disk is beyond redemption.

The deterioration probably began when the PSU capacitors were failing. This can lead to the disk running hotter than usual, leading to slight distortion of the platter(s).

It's time to get that green 1TB SATA drive. Wink

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 1TB with fan, Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScWfZ
JoRogan
Posted: Wed May 02, 2012 8:56 am Reply with quote
Thanks for confirming that Andy - cheers.

JoRogan
Posted: Wed May 09, 2012 1:58 pm Reply with quote
UPDATE:

New 1tb drive installed (WD10EARX) and all running smoothly, no glitches or stopping of recordings whatsoever and remote response improved when recording starts etc.

New drive runs few degrees C less than old, reports about 48/49c.

Cheers