Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  New users start here  ~  5800 fails to boot if powered down from part time channel

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
slimgym
Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 19 Aug 2009 Posts: 94 Location: Essendon, Herts.
My 5800 + MS 6.4 works perfectly well normally, but I have noticed if it powers up from a part time channel that is not broadcasting (or hidden with an MHEG holder) it does not start up at all.

Last night I had something recording on BBC THREE and this morning when I powered up it came on set to BBC THREE. The standard Toppy search/scan bar appeared and stayed on screen, frozen, and the time did not advance. The remote was unresponsive and no TAPs started.

On pressing power, it looked like it was powering off but didn't (the display blanked but the on LED remained lit), but another press of the power button de-powered it.

When I re-powered, I held the channel down button and once it had got off BBC THREE it started up normally.

This is repeatable, and I have tried it with interactive on and off (when interactive is on, you get a red "PLEASE WAIT" bar but it hangs the same place). I have noticed coming back from work it's looking crashed and has not recorded anything, I now guess it was because this has occurred when it powered up for the first timer.

I swapped the capacitors as a precaution a few weeks back, as the box was a few years old.

Has anyone seen this behaviour before, and is there a work around?

alan_m
Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Oct 2006 Posts: 3190 Location: Southchurch Village, Southend-on-Sea
slimgym wrote:

Work around may be the Sc patch
http://www.toppy.org.uk/~r2-d2/patches.html#Sc

Have you tried deleting the EPG files and letting Mystuff and associated TAPs recreate the information (maybe taking 30 minutes)? TopManager has an option to remove bad EPG files.

Last edited by alan_m on Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

slimgym
Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:28 pm Reply with quote
alan_m wrote:
slimgym wrote:

Work around may be the Sc patch
http://www.toppy.org.uk/~r2-d2/patches.html#Sc

Have you tried deleting the EPG file and letting Mystuff and associated TAPs recreate the information (maybe taking 30 minutes)? TopManager has an option to remove bad EPG files.

Ahh interesting, thank you!

I don't think it's even getting that far, though it's hard to tell what has and hasn't loaded, the L roundel does not appear. I might try moving MyStuff out of auto start to see if it is getting anywhere, thanks for the pointer!

underquark
Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Oct 2005 Posts: 1776
I think it might be a start channel problem, too. The Toppy gets it's time settings from the channel info and it may not be getting this from a blank channel. Try adding the Sc patch to your firmware, deliberately shut it down on Three at night and see what happens next day. Hopefully it will load into BBC1 (which will happen before MyStuff etc. are launched), get the correct time signal and all will be well.

5xTF5800PVR - 1 organ-donor, 1 for experimenting on, 2 x 250Gb and 1 x 500Gb (Seagate ST3500630A, no fan), one Toppy with UPS and dedicated aerial; MyStuff 6.3; QuickJump 1.72; EPG2 MEI; MEISearch 1.37; Various remotes - URC8820 (my fav.), URC8910 (for SWMBO), URC7562 (to learn new codes) programmed using tools from the excellent JP1 site.
slimgym
Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Thanks both (is this a record?!) I just applied [Sc] and powered down on CBBC, the toppy re-powered on BBC ONE and all is well Smile

per-Sony-fied
Posted: Sun May 13, 2012 11:33 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 13 Jan 2007 Posts: 114 Location: Essex
I find this unusual that somebody would require this patch and some (most?) of us don't.
gomezz
Posted: Sun May 13, 2012 11:36 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Nov 2005 Posts: 3890 Location: Buckingham
I don't use this patch because it conflicts with the similar functionality provided by the PowerDown TAP I use. I used to have it but was seeing (and hearing) a momentary glimpse of BBC1 which had the potential to spoil my enjoyment when I went to view live sport in chase play. Instead PowerDown starts me up on Red Button 105 which is blank and silent.

slimgym
Posted: Sun May 13, 2012 12:51 pm Reply with quote
per-Sony-fied wrote:
I find this unusual that somebody would require this patch and some (most?) of us don't.

Since I have had it applied I have not come back to the topfield hung on BBC THREE and unresponsive. I'd avoided recording radio too as that triggered a similar stuck on the radio channel and hung syndrome.

I guess it's possible a full power cycle would have resolved it until the next time but this patch has sorted it for me. I never used to use the topfield to record radio and avoided unattended recordings on part time channels before. I have a 5800 and 5810 and it's happened on both.

The screen used to hang with the topfield stock info bar up so it could be one of the first TAPs hanging (it hadn't got as far as MS). I'll have a look what order they're in see if there is anything in there that's obvious compared to others.

Last edited by slimgym on Sun May 13, 2012 12:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

juwlz
Posted: Sun May 13, 2012 12:52 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10353 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
per-Sony-fied wrote:
Maybe some of us don't watch the part time channels very much? ... or have other things in place (in my case it's a timer waking up the Toppy in the morning for a channel scan - EPG Data - currently Section R) which make the patch unnecessary.

However, the beauty of the Toppy community is that different solutions are available, and different things suit different people.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
juwlz
Posted: Sun May 13, 2012 12:53 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10353 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
slimgym wrote:
I'll have a look what order they're in see which one that is (might be that MyInfo has them in the startup order?).
It does.

slimgym
Posted: Sun May 13, 2012 2:09 pm Reply with quote
juwlz wrote:
slimgym wrote:
I'll have a look what order they're in see which one that is (might be that MyInfo has them in the startup order?).
It does.

I was suspiciously eyeing them up as they appeared to be in alphabetical order ... But this is the order it's reporting (at work so not able to confirm the order off the box)

Running TAPS:
Slot 0: EIT Sub (Game) v0.6 : Provides faster, simpler and more robust EIT data collection, except when playing games
Slot 1: EPG2MEI v0.96 : Dumps the EPG data to disk as EPG.mei, with changes since last time in EPG_diff.mei
Slot 2: Extend v1.7 : Uses the Accurate Recording info to extend recordings (safely)
Slot 3: MHEG On/Off A3 : MHEG control
Slot 4: MPDisplayLITE V1.2 : MPDisplayLITE
Slot 5: MyInfo B5.6 : Displays & records Toppy basic info
Slot 6: MyStuff 6.4 : UI Replacement
Slot 7: SecCache (UK) v0.4 : Optimal (UK) section caching to reduce the load on the Toppy
Slots 8 - 15 not used

per-Sony-fied
Posted: Sun May 13, 2012 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 13 Jan 2007 Posts: 114 Location: Essex
juwlz wrote:
per-Sony-fied wrote:
Maybe some of us don't watch the part time channels very much? ... or have other things in place (in my case it's a timer waking up the Toppy in the morning for a channel scan - EPG Data - currently Section R) which make the patch unnecessary.

However, the beauty of the Toppy community is that different solutions are available, and different things suit different people.

Julie

I'm always watching BBC3 and 4 and it woke up to a blank BBC3 screen this morning. I've never noticed this problem and I'm sure if it has happened in the past enough to annoy me I'd want/be looking for a solution for it.

However as you say it is good there are solutions for these problems.

I wonder if earlier Toppy's are slightly different in their design structure (besides the tuners) to cause these sort of oddity's? My sis's Toppy being an early 2005 unit certainly seems to behave differently to my 2008/9 unit.
juwlz
Posted: Sun May 13, 2012 3:14 pm Reply with quote
slimgym wrote:
Running TAPS:
Slot 0: EIT Sub (Game) v0.6 : Provides faster, simpler and more robust EIT data collection, except when playing games
Slot 1: EPG2MEI v0.96 : Dumps the EPG data to disk as EPG.mei, with changes since last time in EPG_diff.mei
Slot 2: Extend v1.7 : Uses the Accurate Recording info to extend recordings (safely)
Slot 3: MHEG On/Off A3 : MHEG control
Slot 4: MPDisplayLITE V1.2 : MPDisplayLITE
Slot 5: MyInfo B5.6 : Displays & records Toppy basic info
Slot 6: MyStuff 6.4 : UI Replacement
Slot 7: SecCache (UK) v0.4 : Optimal (UK) section caching to reduce the load on the Toppy
Slots 8 - 15 not used
The order of those TAPs shouldn't make any difference. Generally speaking the load order only matters for TAPs which intercept button presses; MyStuff is the only TAP you have in the list that does that, so the order they load in shouldn't matter.

Julie

alan_m
Posted: Sun May 13, 2012 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Oct 2006 Posts: 3190 Location: Southchurch Village, Southend-on-Sea
juwlz wrote:
per-Sony-fied wrote:

Julie

I don't have the patch and often have my Toppy on a part time channel as it automatically shuts down for the night. The next day I do get a blank screen but the remote isn't unresponsive and I can change to another channel BUT...

I do have to wait until the Mystuff has fully loaded (the S and L roundels have appeared).

It may be my imagination but Mystuff does seem to take longer to finish starting up when viewing a non-transmitting part time channel. Perhaps I just notice the long period because it is a blank screen. Smile

I do minimise the number of day ahead I look for EPG/timers. If someone else is looking 7+ days ahead and has lots of set timers I wonder if Mystuff takes a lot longer to finish starting up. Perhaps the original problem is that something like MyStuff is taking 60 seconds+ to start up and the remote is unresponsive until it does.

juwlz
Posted: Sun May 13, 2012 7:58 pm Reply with quote
alan_m wrote:
It may be my imagination but Mystuff does seem to take longer to finish starting up when viewing a non-transmitting part time channel. Perhaps I just notice the long period because it is a blank screen. Smile
I never see the startup, unless I manually shut down MyStuff or the Toppy for some reason, as it starts up before I get up in the morning Wink.
Quote:
I do minimise the number of day ahead I look for EPG/timers. If someone else is looking 7+ days ahead and has lots of set timers I wonder if Mystuff takes a lot longer to finish starting up.
The more timers you have (or rather, the more EPG data MS is looking through to set timers), the longer it will take. It's normal to look a week ahead, because that's how much EPG you normally get.

Julie