Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  General Toppy discussions  ~  Remote problem with my Topfield TF5800PRV

Page 1 of 1
mickiow
Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:59 am Reply with quote
Hi all,
I have a Topfield TF5800PRV recorder have had it since 2007.
My stuff 6.2 installed in July 2010.

Mr Andy Frazer repaired the capacitors last year and all has been well.

I now seem to have a problem with the remote linking with Toppy!
I can see the pick up spot on the box ok and it is in a good line of sight, but I have to point the remote in all sorts of angles to try and get it to respond.

I first changed the batteries.

Then swapped remotes with another Toppy user and he reported my remote worked ok on his box, while my problem remained.

Any thoughts please?

Mick. Confused
juwlz
Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:26 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10324 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
It's probably a problem with the front panel, since the remote itself is working OK. I'm guessing you don't see the green light on the front panel acknowledging that the Toppy has seen your button press?

The front panel can be replaced, and Turbosat used to keep stock of them. I don't know whether they still do, but andyfras will probably know (and will be able to tell you how to change it too).

Julie

P.S. I would strongly recommend updating MyStuff to 6.4, as earlier versions make the Toppy more susceptible to a disk wipe under certain circumstances if you experience poor signal quality. The cause is not fully understood, but MS 6.4 makes fewer calls to a system routine which seems to be involved.

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
alan_m
Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:43 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Oct 2006 Posts: 3146 Location: Southchurch Village, Southend-on-Sea
mickiow wrote:

I now seem to have a problem with the remote linking with Toppy!
I can see the pick up spot on the box ok and it is in a good line of sight, but I have to point the remote in all sorts of angles to try and get it to respond.

Then swapped remotes with another Toppy user and he reported my remote worked ok on his box, while my problem remained.

Maybe one of many reasons:

Duff remote (usually easily fixed by dismantling and washing)

The Toppy has run out of memory due to too many channels, duplicate channels, channels in the EPG that no longer exist or having MHEG / Interactive Services switched on.

Faulty front panel board (replacement around 20 incl postage and changed by removing a few screws and a pull out connector)

The no cost options first:

First try a cold boot of the box to see if crashed software is the problem. Turn the Toppy off at the mains for two minutes. on re-applying the mains power the box will be given a complete reboot. This doesn't happen if you just put the box into standby.

Check the operation of the remote with a digital camera/ phone camera. See: http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=204744#204744
Check the buttons that you having most trouble with.

If you have recently rescanned for channels as a result of the Digital Switch Over you need to first reset the Toppy (factory settings in the Toppy menu) to get rid of all the old information. If you have then used a auto rescan you may have picked up signals from multiple transmitters.
The best way to give advice about this is for you to post a text log file from the MyInfo Tap
The latest version of MyInfo can be found at
http://www.tapworld.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=608

Put Myinfo in Auto Start and when you come out of standby it will write a text log file to your Toppy's hard disk. Post that file back here.

If the worst has happened - a front panel hardware failure :

You have to phone Turbosat, the Toppy's UK distributer, about spare front panel boards.

Turbosat International Ltd‎
Legacy House
Church Road,
Sittingbourne,
Kent ME10 3RS
01795 429666

Front panel boards are/were circa 20 including postage (maybe a few quid more if you elect express delivery).

Some people have reported that Turbosat may no longer be stocking the boards but another option is Andy who has repaired a few.

juwlz
Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:15 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10324 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
alan_m wrote:
Duff remote (usually easily fixed by dismantling and washing)
That one's already been eliminated by swapping remotes with another Toppy user. The problem stayed with Toppy. So there's no need to do all the checking with a camera, etc.

As you say, a hard reset (unplugging at the mains) and general Toppy maintenance (Factory reset and rescan, removing duplicate and unwanted channels, and disabling Interactive Services) are certainly worth a try though.

Julie

mickiow
Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:58 am Reply with quote
As you say, a hard reset (unplugging at the mains) and general Toppy maintenance (Factory reset and rescan, removing duplicate and unwanted channels, and disabling Interactive Services) are certainly worth a try though.
Julie.

We have a third re scan to do on the 18th of this month!
I will do that then a re set and remove all the unwanted channels,
If I do it now they will I belive come back with the re scan.
Thanks for swift help,
Mick.
juwlz
Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:45 am Reply with quote
mickiow wrote:
We have a third re scan to do on the 18th of this month!
I will do that then a re set and remove all the unwanted channels,
If I do it now they will I belive come back with the re scan.
You need to do a Factory Reset BEFORE every scan, otherwise channels never get deleted and you WILL definitely get problems with timers if nothing else.

The Channel Organiser TAP makes it easy to delete lots of channels at once (including automatically removing duplicates), and it will save your choices for next time, so once you've made your choices, it's a 5 minute job.

Julie

mickiow
Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:27 pm Reply with quote
You need to do a Factory Reset BEFORE every scan, otherwise channels never get deleted and you WILL definitely get problems with timers if nothing else.

The Channel Organiser TAP makes it easy to delete lots of channels at once (including automatically removing duplicates), and it will save your choices for next time, so once you've made your choices, it's a 5 minute job.

Julie

Thank again Julie,
I will do that.

Remote seems ok after the hard re boot at the moment!
Mick.