Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Firmwares, enhancements and upgrades  ~  Second update scheduled for late October

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
nwhitfield
Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9568 Location: London
I've just been speaking with Turbosat, keeping them up to date on the issues arising from the beta firmware, and have received news of the second update.

For those who've just tuned in, this is the update that was originally planned to be released in September; work on that had to be postponed because of the BBCi MHEG related crashes, which has presumably slowed things down a little.

We are now anticipating testing a new firmware version around the 3rd week of October, and this will include at least some of the changes and resolutions that were scheduled for the original September update. I do not yet know which ones will be included, and which - if any - may have to wait a while longer. I will post that information when I know, so there's no need to keep asking me.

We shall recruit some more beta-testers in time for the arrival of the new firmware, to ensure that it has a thorough test. If you have already contacted me to ask if you can help, I will be in touch. There is no need to keep emailing me.

The second bit of information about the update is that, after testing and a likely online release, it should be broadcast as an OTA update, which is anticipated in early to mid November. I do not have more details of this yet. I will post them when I have them, so there is no need... etc.

In the meantime, I would suggest that, if you're having problems with previous firmwares, the current beta firmware does appear to be one of the more stable releases that we've had for some time, and is worth considering upgrading to. Before you do that, review the issues in the bug database, and see if it looks likely that you may be affected by any of them. There are presently 138 forum users who have registered that they are using 5.12.04, with 52 on the previous version, and comparatively few reports of problems.

Nigel.

Last edited by nwhitfield on Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 5:17 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 13 May 2005 Posts: 9321 Location: Sindlesham, Berkshire Tx: Hannington
Good news Nigel, thanks for the update. As I have not emailed you to this point in time I would like to say I am more than happy to be a beta tester of this new firmware. I shall wait for you to be in touch Wink

Thanks for all your hard work (as usual)

Chunkywizard

Mark_B
Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:46 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 254
Happy to beta test..... Very Happy

Taps:TSR Commander, Power Manager, Jags EPG, UK Timers, UK OZ Surfer, Display, MyStuff
HydeTheDarkerSide
Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 11 May 2005 Posts: 5955 Location: Hannington Transmitter : Sony KDL 40Z5800
That's great news (assuming that it's not one of those two step forwards and three back Shocked ) updates.

I'm a happy Toppy owner since the .04 update and if the .05 gives us a good deal of those feature changes/enhancements that we've all been bidding on, then I'll be ecstactic Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

In fact I've not enjoyed an electrcial appliance so much since....

Embarassed wrong web site Wink

MyStuff Links: http://www.toppy.org.uk/~mystuff/index.shtml
Sig generated by MyInfo on 11/10/13
pbrn999
Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:39 am Reply with quote
Thank you Nigel for the update. I upgraded to the 01 firmware (the interim fix), but never got around to upgrading to the 03 firmware thankfully, so never had any of the horrible recording problems that people experienced. I've also not upgraded to the 04, since the 01 interim fix seems fairly stable. I'll be waiting for the 05 release.
I work in the IT Systems Public Sector industry, and I know how dangerous it can be for an organisation to provide a "knee-jerk" fix without time for full and proper testing (remember the Passport Service, New Tax Credits, Child Support Agency...the list goes on), which can then create newer (sometimes worse) problems. I know that Topfield will be frantically coding and testing as we speak, and I think that their strategy of setting a realistic date to give themselves sufficient time for both internal and User Acceptance testing is very sensible.

Will be happy to assist in the 05 Beta/UAT testing
Traxmaster
Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:28 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 31 Mar 2005 Posts: 206
Its nice to see they still have a team working on the Topfield and providing Nigel with updates.

Hopefully we will see some new requested features.
bellissimo
Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 26 May 2005 Posts: 1997 Location: Reading
Marvellous news. Impressive that all the recent problems have not caused a more substantial delay. I would also happily volunteer my services as a beta tester if needed.
jimbo
Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 19 Sep 2005 Posts: 82 Location: North Yorkshire, Bilsdale Transmitter.
Another one happy to do beta testing.

rayd
Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 03 Jun 2005 Posts: 377 Location: West London
Mark_B wrote:
Happy to beta test..... Very Happy

Taps:TSR Commander, Power Manager, Jags EPG, UK Timers, UK OZ Surfer, Display, MyStuff

And me. I also have a Sony TV that caused format problems with some versions.

Cheers,

Ray D

Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Site helper Joined: 16 Jul 2005 Posts: 1199 Location: London
Thanks for the info, Nigel. I'm happy to beta test. Smile
Peter.Allison
Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for keeping us updated Nigel. I too am happy to beta test any firmware.

YorkshireJumbo
Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:55 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 16 Sep 2005 Posts: 682
As a newbie to PVRs, I'm interested how the OTA update will happen?

Do we have to set the Toppy up to receive it, opt in, opt out? Is there a time window, or will it be available over several days?

TAPs: MS 6.6 Suite, UK OZ Surfer
andygrunt
Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:59 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Aug 2005 Posts: 401 Location: Bristol, UK
This site lists upcoming OTA updates and may answer a couple of your questions.

http://www.dtg.org.uk/retailer/download_schedule.pl

Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:31 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 08 May 2005 Posts: 1389 Location: Eastbourne, UK
Is there any news on when we can expect the next version of the "first update" (based on the current beta)? Am I even right in thinking that there will be such a thing, or will the next firmware release be the "second update"?

Firmware: 5.13.65 (patched). Auto Start TAPs: TapCommander 1.0.2, Power Down 0.6, DescriptionExtender 2.2, mei2archive 3.8I3, Automove 1.8, QuickJump 1.54, Improbox 2.1RC8, Jag's EPG 3.0b3 (TV & radio), Media Manager 1.5, MHEG Control A2g, Extend 1.7. PC apps: DGtoTop 1.1. Profile last updated 13/05/2009
nwhitfield
Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:45 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9568 Location: London
The forthcoming update will be, effectively, the second update that we were expecting to follow the august update, and which was delayed by the various problems with that.

I don't yet have any more information to share than I did at the start of the thread. When I do, I shall post it.

Nigel.