Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  AV & other discussions  ~  toppy scart question

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
tippy
Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:40 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 28 Oct 2007 Posts: 157 Location: norfolk,via essex.
i have 4 year old a panasonic th-50px70ba.
recently there has been some interment clicking, this did happen when 3 months old and certain boards were changed and the problem was rectified.
after this clicking has stopped i am getting (after tv has been on for an hour or so) the av banner flicking on showing the av that toppy is on, this continues and after a while the remote becomes unresponsive, if i continue to press any of the remote buttons the tv will switch off and turn itself back on and be fine again for upto 3 hours but mostly the issue starts again after around an hour.
if i am using the ps3 via hdmi the banner still appears but is always the toppy av banner, i have switched scart ports for the toppy but the problem is the same.
i realise this is very unlikely to be anything to do with the toppy but could it be.

Sig generated by MyInfo on 5/7/13
DX
Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Apr 2005 Posts: 2672
tippy wrote:
i realise this is very unlikely to be anything to do with the toppy but could it be.

To be sure I'd suggest completely unplugging the Toppy from the TV for an evening or two and seeing if the TV behaves. If not then I think you can definitely blame the TV.
tippy
Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 28 Oct 2007 Posts: 157 Location: norfolk,via essex.
DX wrote:
tippy wrote:

To be sure I'd suggest completely unplugging the Toppy from the TV for an evening or two and seeing if the TV behaves. If not then I think you can definitely blame the TV.

thanks dx,
i turned the toppy off after posting for about 3 hours so i was just running the built freeview box and there was no issues, i then changed the scart lead for one that was knocking about in the "old leads box", switched back on and things are still just fine.
this doesnt mean ive found the issue as it can take 4 hours or so to start playing up.
if this doesnt fix it i will do as you suggest tomorrow and see from there.
could a dodgy lead cause this type of issue?.
i have little or no knowledge of this sort of thing.

tippy.............

DX
Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:11 pm Reply with quote
A dodgy lead might cause the AV flickering. I wouldn't have expected that to lead to the TV not responding to the remote and then switching off but maybe it does.
tippy
Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:56 pm Reply with quote
DX wrote:
A dodgy lead might cause the AV flickering. I wouldn't have expected that to lead to the TV not responding to the remote and then switching off but maybe it does.

all is still fine here i will let it run and see in 24hrs.
thanks for replying.

tippy...............

tippy
Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:35 pm Reply with quote
well, the problem started again late evening.
today toppy is on standby and all has been fine, although there is an occasional clicking noise.
ive noticed in the manual that with older tvs without scart sockets you can use a direct aerial type method to connect the toppy, can this be done with a modern tv with built in free view?.
i did have the psu capacitors done last august.
i really think its a tv issue but can the toppy scart do some sort of surge to the tv scart socket or is it as i believe more likely the psu or scart controllers on the tv causing the issues.

DX
Posted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:57 am Reply with quote
tippy wrote:
with older tvs without scart sockets you can use a direct aerial type method to connect the toppy, can this be done with a modern tv with built in free view?

As long as the TV also has an analogue tuner you will be able to do this.

Current there are still analogue signals in some area's so UK TV's have both a digital and analogue tuner. (I have actually seen one UK TV with only a digital tuner, but that is very much the exception).
underquark
Posted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:07 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Oct 2005 Posts: 1776
If you don't mind damaging a SCART cable you could try removing Pin #8 (at the TV end of the cable) which should stop any Status/Aspect Ratio signals being received by the TV.

This should work if a) the Toppy is sending a wrong signal, b) if the SCART cable is picking up interference and generating a wrong signal or c) if the TV is responding incorrectly to signals received via the SCART cable.

If the TV still behaves wrongly then it's likely an internal TV fault.

5xTF5800PVR - 1 organ-donor, 1 for experimenting on, 2 x 250Gb and 1 x 500Gb (Seagate ST3500630A, no fan), one Toppy with UPS and dedicated aerial; MyStuff 6.3; QuickJump 1.72; EPG2 MEI; MEISearch 1.37; Various remotes - URC8820 (my fav.), URC8910 (for SWMBO), URC7562 (to learn new codes) programmed using tools from the excellent JP1 site.
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:53 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Jan 2007 Posts: 3018 Location: Bristol Windows XP, USB
I tried a google search for your tv manual (but without success).

I also googled (I think I used "clicking" as a search term). One of the articles it detected was about the tv clicking but they wanted $7.50 for the service document so I didn't investigate further!

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; QuickJump 1.72; MyInfo B5.6; Font Manager 1.0d; EPG2MEI v0.96; CrashTrace v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; Extend v1.7; WSSkiller V2.12d; SecCache (UK) v0.4; MyStuff 6.5;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 6/9/13
chris_s
Posted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:28 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 23 May 2008 Posts: 367 Location: Coventry
My old (still using) Panasonic CRT TV makes quite a loud click (similar to a relay operation) when it switches to RGB (only available on AV1 SCART).

TAPs: QuickJump 1.72; MPDisplayLITE V1.2; QuickBlank 0.2; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MyInfo B5.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.4; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; MHEG On/Off A3; (Start Channel LCN);
Sig generated by MyInfo on 14/3/12
TV=Panasonic TX-32DT2 IDTV (32" CRT via CVBS-SCART), Tx: Sutton Coldfield. "My other PVR is a TiVo".
tippy
Posted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:45 pm Reply with quote
DX wrote:
tippy wrote:
with older tvs without scart sockets you can use a direct aerial type method to connect the toppy, can this be done with a modern tv with built in free view?

As long as the TV also has an analogue tuner you will be able to do this.

Current there are still analogue signals in some area's so UK TV's have both a digital and analogue tuner. (I have actually seen one UK TV with only a digital tuner, but that is very much the exception).

the tv has an analogue tuner so i will see if the direct method makes any difference.

underquark wrote:
If you don't mind damaging a SCART cable you could try removing Pin #8 (at the TV end of the cable) which should stop any Status/Aspect Ratio signals being received by the TV.

This should work if a) the Toppy is sending a wrong signal, b) if the SCART cable is picking up interference and generating a wrong signal or c) if the TV is responding incorrectly to signals received via the SCART cable.

If the TV still behaves wrongly then it's likely an internal TV fault.

i will try the aerial direct method first if that stops the problem i assume it would indicate then that it is either the tv or toppy scart connector, then try removing pin 8 and go back to the scart method and see what the results are.

Geoff Bacon wrote:
I tried a google search for your tv manual (but without success).

I also googled (I think I used "clicking" as a search term). One of the articles it detected was about the tv clicking but they wanted $7.50 for the service document so I didn't investigate further!

Geoff

the clicking is a known issue i learned on AV forums but it was cured 3 years back on mine, the shop changed the psu and some other bits, this was after they had the tv a couple of times.
the clicking is no big deal really and still clicks whether toppy is on or not, but with the toppy off i dont seem to be getting the remote control lag or the set turning off and on.

chris_s wrote:
My old (still using) Panasonic CRT TV makes quite a loud click (similar to a relay operation) when it switches to RGB (only available on AV1 SCART).

the whole range of issues has only started since the clicking has returned so although im changing scarts etc on the toppy i know its the tv really, the clicking starting up and the issues must be linked it is just too much of a coincidence otherwise.
the thing is from what ive read on a few other forums it is just not worth getting it fixed, the psu board i believe is around 200 so any fix is going to be a minimum 350 whereas the new tv i like http://www.electricshop.com/invt/ps51d8000f?source=base&lot=base&utm_source=base&utm_medium=base
is 1000.
i will try the direct method and the pin 8 possible solution and report back.
thanks for all your input so far.

tippy.........

tippy
Posted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:45 pm Reply with quote
my father has the exact same tv as mine.
he runs sky hd and late on thursday evening the sky remote became unresponsive to volume commands, he comes and stays here weekends and returned home today and his has developed the same issues as mine although he dont hear the crackling noises but the he cant hear mine either, he is a bit deaf.
ive posted on the AV forum and maybe others have or are getting the same problems.
ok it maybe just a coincidence, both our TVs came from the same supplier (bennetts) but one was in norfolk and the other in suffolk, and his is 6 months or so older than mine.
anyway im probably boring you guys with this so please feel free to say so.

tippy
Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:45 pm Reply with quote
back to bore you with a bit more.
today i have done away with the scarts and im running toppy via rgb, it has been on for 5 hrs or so, i have also connected my sons dvd via scart and im running a film and then re running it this has also been around 5 hours, meanwhile the ps3 has been on and of several times.
there has been no issues at all, apart from the clicking or expansion type clicking noises.
if all stays ok tonight i may try and disconnect pin 8 and retry the scart, but to be honest i dont know how to do this, i had look at the cheapo one i have and it seems to be sealed, i cant have a good look at the better quality one has it is running the dvd at the minute.
if anyone has a link for this id be grateful.

tippy...........

DX
Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:28 pm Reply with quote
tippy wrote:
if all stays ok tonight i may try and disconnect pin 8 and retry the scart, but to be honest i dont know how to do this, i had look at the cheapo one i have and it seems to be sealed, i cant have a good look at the better quality one has it is running the dvd at the minute.
if anyone has a link for this id be grateful.

I doubt you'll find a link as it will vary depending on the design of the scart lead.

In general you need to open the scart shell and then snip the wire that goes to pin 8 before reassembling the shell. In some cases you can pull out pin 8 from the back without cutting the wire so you can put it back later. As you have observed some scart shells are moulded on so you are best finding one that that can be opened.

I'd suggest buying a cheap scart lead from poundland or the like and experimenting with that. That way you won't lose much if you cut the wrong wire.
tippy
Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:44 pm Reply with quote
thanks dx.

tippy.