Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  General Toppy discussions  ~  Will it work?

Page 1 of 1
artemus
Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Hi guys,

new to the forum, so by means of introduction and explanation of my question, I have a tale to tell ..... Very Happy

I've had a 5800 for about 7 yrs now, and after installing MyStuff have been very happy with it.

Recently I've been having problems with recordings stopping in mid-playback, and eventually loop-rebooting. Thinking that the whole think was kaput, I sourced a replacement refurb 5810, which has arrived today.

Since the delivery was not as prompt as I would have liked, in the meantime I have done a bit of research here on the forum and had a bit of a tinker with the innards.

Output from the Molex with an analogue multimeter was 12.5v & 5v, so I'm assuming that there's nothing too sinister going on there. I realise that the PSU board will need a makeover asap, but I now have a "spare" toppy to ride out the storm of being 5800-less. Funny how much you come to rely on the little treasure innit? Smile

HDinfo yielded nothing out of the ordinary after comparing the output with similar discussions on some forum threads that I found.

After copying as much off of the HDD, I had a go with de-fragging the drive using TopfHDRW, but despite my best efforts I ended up formatting the whole drive. After installing MS6.4, lo and behold, everything appears to be OK again! Very Happy Not sure whether this state of OK-ness will continue, but at the moment I have a working 5800. Yay!

OK, now my question..... I am fortunate enough to be able to get away with an el-cheapo set-top aerial that I first purchased as a student back in the late 80's Very Happy Due to the height and aspect of the property I have pretty much line-of-sight to the Sutton Coldfield transmitter, so have never needed to have anything other than the crummy little beast. So, I now have a 5800, and a 5810, and I realise that the simple response will probably be suck-it-and-see, but can anyone foresee any problems with piggy-backing the aerial out of the 5800 and into the 5810?
HydeTheDarkerSide
Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 11 May 2005 Posts: 5953 Location: Hannington Transmitter : Sony KDL 40Z5800
No problems that I can think of. I have two 5800's daisy chained of a 16 year old gold anodised aerial the like of which you see sold by Argos for less than a tenner. I have direct line of sight to the Hannington Tx, albeit the aerial is inside the roof.

In fact if the aerial moves (it's just wedged in the rafters) I also pick up Cystal Palace which I almost have direct line of sight of too.

You might want to experiement with which unit sits at the end of the chain perhaps?

MyStuff Links: http://www.toppy.org.uk/~mystuff/index.shtml
Sig generated by MyInfo on 11/10/13
artemus
Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:45 pm Reply with quote
HydeTheDarkerSide wrote:
No problems that I can think of. I have two 5800's daisy chained of a 16 year old gold anodised aerial the like of which you see sold by Argos for less than a tenner. I have direct line of sight to the Hannington Tx, albeit the aerial is inside the roof.

In fact if the aerial moves (it's just wedged in the rafters) I also pick up Cystal Palace which I almost have direct line of sight of too.

You might want to experiement with which unit sits at the end of the chain perhaps?

Gold anodised... rafters?.... You were lucky! <In best 4 Yorkshiremen sketch voice> I have to shift mine when we dust the top of the telly Smile

Seriously, thanks for the input. I may have to invest in a signal booster, but it sounds like we're good to go!
albertd
Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 01 Jul 2010 Posts: 403 Location: Crawley West Sussex. Crystal Palace transmitter.
As you have the 5810, it might be a good idea to get one of the experts here (Andyfras or MikeyP) to refurbish the 7 year old 5800, as the PSU is almost certainly past it's sell by date.

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MHEG On/Off A3; MyInfo B5.6; MyStuff 6.51 Pre Beta (12/10/13 version); SecCache (UK) v0.4; TF5000 Display v1.53; UK Subtitle 1.9
Sig mainly generated by MyInfo on 1/5/14

Chans 33 TV and 8 Radio
artemus
Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:44 pm Reply with quote
albertd wrote:
As you have the 5810, it might be a good idea to get one of the experts here (Andyfras or MikeyP) to refurbish the 7 year old 5800, as the PSU is almost certainly past it's sell by date.

That was the plan... once the 5810 had been successfully set up. Not being a sparky, are high output voltages of the molex indicative of capacitor failure, because if so, 12.5v and 5v seem pretty OK to me?
Darucla
Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Jun 2007 Posts: 1443 Location: Norwich
You would be well advised to check the PSU thread. And of course, the voltages may well be different under load. It is not a question of if the capacitors will go, but when. And 7 years is way past when.
andyfras
Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3062 Location: Fleet, Hampshire (Hannington)
Sometimes the 3.3V capacitor (C25) fails first which then upsets the main processor and memory, while the other voltages read OK.

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 1TB with fan, Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScWfZ
juwlz
Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:15 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10351 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
artemus wrote:
After copying as much off of the HDD, I had a go with de-fragging the drive using TopfHDRW, but despite my best efforts I ended up formatting the whole drive.
Just for the record, the Toppy uses a poprietary file system that doesn't suffer from fragmentation. Defragging it is essentially a waste of time. In fact, I'm surprised TopfHDRW even offers the option to do it.

btw, if you formatted it in TopfHWRW, format it again in the Toppy. It'll take all of 10 seconds to do, and it's known that TopfHDRW's formatting is somewhat suspect.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
artemus
Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:23 pm Reply with quote
juwlz wrote:
Just for the record, the Toppy uses a poprietary file system that doesn't suffer from fragmentation. Defragging it is essentially a waste of time. In fact, I'm surprised TopfHDRW even offers the option to do it.

btw, if you formatted it in TopfHWRW, format it again in the Toppy. It'll take all of 10 seconds to do, and it's known that TopfHDRW's formatting is somewhat suspect.

Julie

Yeah, I'd already read up on that fact, but since the drive was giving all the indications of being royally screwed, I took the in-for-a-penny approach and gave it a shot anyways.

From reading the forums, I'd also picked up that formatting in-situ rather than via tap was the way to go, and so far appears to have worked. Smile