Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  MyStuff  ~  What fields are searched in a 'Flag' Search?

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
chris_s
Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:27 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 23 May 2008 Posts: 367 Location: Coventry
I have been searching to record a particular episode of The Big Bang Theory (currently not asking members for .rec files, thanks), and since they are being transmitted on a seemingly endless and bewilderingly interleaved set of series, I thought that I would have a go at using a Flag Search.

I set up a search for 'The Big Bang Theory' and get about 30-40 hits: every day I just look at the last day's worth (i.e. in 1 week's time) to see if the one that I want is there, but I would have thought that I should be able to make it more specific.

When an episode is displayed in the 'Timers by Name' screen, for example, the information at the top of the screen shows the following structure, e.g. Today at 18:00:-

The Big Bang Theory (E4) - The Irish Pub Formulation

A visit from Raj's sister Priya ...............

When I started trying this I set a search for 'Robotic', Anywhere in Title/Description and found no matches. 'Robotic' was in the field containing 'The Irish Pub Formulation' above, i.e. I could set up a search for 'Pub' now and expect a similar failure to find this episode.

I have just set up a search for 'Priya' and found no matches, am I doing something wrong?

Chris.

EDIT:

Just realised that my sig is useless for the above question, it relates to my second 5810 running a virtually standard MS6.4

TAPs: QuickJump 1.72; MPDisplayLITE V1.2; QuickBlank 0.2; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MyInfo B5.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.4; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; MHEG On/Off A3; (Start Channel LCN);
Sig generated by MyInfo on 14/3/12
TV=Panasonic TX-32DT2 IDTV (32" CRT via CVBS-SCART), Tx: Sutton Coldfield. "My other PVR is a TiVo".
juwlz
Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:09 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10275 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
A Flag search is like any other text search (RTFM Wink.)
You can search for
Text in Title (Exact / At Start / At End / Anywhere)
Text in Description
Channel
Times
Days, etc.

I suspect that what you want is to add "Priya" anywhere in the Description. Test that it's doing what you expect by adding something that you can already see in one of the descriptions.

Of course, you could just set a Text Search to record any Big Bang Theory episode with Priya in the description too Wink.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
chris_s
Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:19 pm Reply with quote
juwlz wrote:
A Flag search is like any other text search (RTFM Wink.)Julie
RTFP Smile Priya is not in either the title or description of ther actual episode that I want, it is in the description of tonight's episode and, of course, I have set it for 'Anywhere' in 'Title/Description' (as stated on the 'Robotic' example.

Priya Title/Description Anywhere No Matches
Priya Title Anywhere No Matches
Priya Description ----------- No Matches

Pub Title Anywhere No Matches
Pub Title/Description Anywhere 38 Matches, Non of which are Big Bang

What I actually want to search for is in the 'Episode Title', i.e. 'The Irish Pub Formulation' in tonight's episode, which is why I have chosen to test 'Pub' in the above examples.

Chris.

TAPs: QuickJump 1.72; MPDisplayLITE V1.2; QuickBlank 0.2; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MyInfo B5.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.4; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; MHEG On/Off A3; (Start Channel LCN);
TV=Panasonic TX-32DT2 IDTV (32" CRT via CVBS-SCART), Tx: Sutton Coldfield. "My other PVR is a TiVo".
juwlz
Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:36 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10275 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
Apologies. I misread. Embarassed

But what, exactly are you searching for? If you've got "Big Bang Theory pub" / Anywhere, it won't find anything, because the exact string "Big Bang Theory pub" doesn't appear anywhere in either the title or the description.

It's a long time since I've bothered combining or excluding things in searches, as PSes tend to cope with most things I need these days. However, experiment with things like
Big Bang Theory+pub
Big Bang Theory +pub
Big Bang Theory+Priya
Big Bang Theory +Priya

However, I have a feeling that the episode title might be in the Extended Information which isn't searched, so you may need to match to something in the description instead.

There was a lot of discussion quite some time back (either in the forum, or in internal emails amongst the team) about how + (and), and ~ (exclude) should be behave when both the title and description are involved, but I can't find any of it now. It must be there somewhere, but it's difficult to know what to search for Wink.

Julie

chris_s
Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:10 pm Reply with quote
I must admit that because I was using such rarely used keywords, I naively assumed that I didn't need to include 'The Big Bang Theory', in any combination, in the search string: I just used 'Priya' or 'Pub'.

The fact that I got a lot of hits (none of which was BBT) for just 'Pub' implies to me that the Episode Title isn't included in the search fields - shame. As for 'Extended Info' I don't really know the exact definition of the terms, but the Episode Title for BBT appears in the native EPG at the start of the description.

HydeTheDarkerSide
Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 11 May 2005 Posts: 5888 Location: Hannington Transmitter : Sony KDL 40Z5800
I've just created a text search for 'Priya' Title/Description, Anywhere. This has found 3 episodes on E4:-

06/03 17:58~18:34
06/03 23:58~00:34
13/03 17:58~18:34

So I'm not sure I understand what the problem is Embarassed

[edit]Hang on... Something not right with 'Pub' though Confused

MyStuff Links: http://www.toppy.org.uk/~mystuff/index.shtml
Sig generated by MyInfo on 11/10/13
chris_s
Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:06 pm Reply with quote
HydeTheDarkerSide wrote:
I've just created a text search for 'Priya' Title/Description, Anywhere. This has found 3 episodes on E4:-

06/03 17:58~18:34
06/03 23:58~00:34
13/03 17:58~18:34

So I'm not sure I understand what the problem is Embarassed

[edit]Hang on... Something not right with 'Pub' though Confused
Thanks Hyde: interesting, maybe I have some different settings somewhere. I will have another go when I get a moment.

Edit:

I thought that I had hit upon something when I returned to 'Priya' (no hits) and changed it to a 'Record': I then got the above 3, then I changed it back to 'Flag' and still got 3 hits.

To test this I set up 'Flag' for 'Irish', expecting not to get any BBT and got lots of hits, including BBT, so bang goes that theory Smile

BobD
Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:17 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 03 Aug 2005 Posts: 4179 Location: Nottingham
See here for what is perhaps uptodate.

MyStuff skins, manual and latest version: http://www.BobDsMyStuff.co.uk
Known bugs & forthcoming fixes: http://www.BobDsMyStuff.co.uk/Bugs.shtml
Changes coming in the next version: http://www.BobDsMyStuff.co.uk/NextVersion.shtml
juwlz
Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:31 pm Reply with quote
I knew it was out there somewhere Wink.

That suggests that it's not possible to search for a programme title, and then restrict the search further using something in the description?

(And where is the episode name held, and is it searchable?)

Julie

BobD
Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:44 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 03 Aug 2005 Posts: 4179 Location: Nottingham
To be honest, I didn't read that post, nor have I checked the code Smile

I think it used to be possible to do what you say, but then we changed it to speed things up, but I will check later.

Episode names are part of the ExInfo, and so are not searchable unless your php script appends it to the title or description.

MyStuff skins, manual and latest version: http://www.BobDsMyStuff.co.uk
Known bugs & forthcoming fixes: http://www.BobDsMyStuff.co.uk/Bugs.shtml
Changes coming in the next version: http://www.BobDsMyStuff.co.uk/NextVersion.shtml
HydeTheDarkerSide
Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 11 May 2005 Posts: 5888 Location: Hannington Transmitter : Sony KDL 40Z5800
It's still odd though that the 'Pub' element isn't held in any 'view' of the native epg data on the toppy and yet MyStuff is able to recall it from somewhere?

I still think we need the method you reported in the tagged thread. That being...

Quote:
Ahhhh ...

Perhaps then we need an additional "Where" option

Title
Description
Title AND Description
Title OR Description
As always, the tricky bit is the logic of exclusion handling (match this-except this) ... and using Title OR Description would presumably slow things down again somewhat.

For "positive" searches, T AND D would require that part of the text (delimited by "+") exists in the Title, and also that part of it exists in the Description. T OR D would simply require that the text matches anywhere, with Title and Description effectively treated as a single concatenated string.

For "negative" searches (i.e. those that exclude something), T OR D treats Title and Desciption as a concatented string, so that anything that includes the positive text, but not the excluded text anywhere will match. Can't get my head round what exclusions in T AND D should do though! Probably that the match text exists in one, and the excluded text doesn't exist in the other (even if it does exist in the other ... which isn't terribly intuitive).

I think I'll go and lie down now.

Julie

chris_s
Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:38 pm Reply with quote
HydeTheDarkerSide wrote:
It's still odd though that the 'Pub' element isn't held in any 'view' of the native epg data on the toppy and yet MyStuff is able to recall it from somewhere.
As I said, a couple of posts above, the Episode Title IS shown in the native EPG (at the start of the description). It is also shown in most, if not all, MyStuff views, so it should be searchable.

Is the fact that it appers not to be searchable the result of considered design, or an oversight, or a bug?

gomezz
Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Nov 2005 Posts: 3873 Location: Buckingham
Could be an unprintable character in the text string that is terminating the search prematurely?

HydeTheDarkerSide
Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:03 pm Reply with quote
chris_s wrote:
HydeTheDarkerSide wrote:
It's still odd though that the 'Pub' element isn't held in any 'view' of the native epg data on the toppy and yet MyStuff is able to recall it from somewhere.
As I said, a couple of posts above, the Episode Title IS shown in the native EPG (at the start of the description). It is also shown in most, if not all, MyStuff views, so it should be searchable.

Is the fact that it appers not to be searchable the result of considered design, or an oversight, or a bug?
Embarassed so it is. EPG2MEI puts this data into a separate field. So it looks like MyStuff is ignoring it in the search. Will get BobD to change this.

chris_s
Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Thanks Hyde.