Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  MyStuff  ~  Many Channels missing from EPG

Page 1 of 1
WWWombat
Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:14 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 23 Nov 2008 Posts: 31 Location: Harrogate, North Yorks (Emley Moor transmitter)
I have a strange problem with my Toppy, where many channels have disappeared from the Toppy.

I'm running Mystuff 6.4, originally installed last September - when the machine was in the Crystal Palace region, and all worked fine. The channels search was done using the "Channel Organiser" utility TAP, with a number of the more dubious channels deleted.

We recently moved to the Emley Moor region, and the new channel setup originally went fine. However, sometime in the last 2 months, many channels have disappeared. The EPG jumps from ITV3 (channel 10) to 4+1 (channel 13) and More 4 (channel 14), but then to ITV2+1 (channel 27). I noticed this around the time that Channel5+1 became active.

If I use the P+ keys, the toppy jumps over the missing channels. If I key the channel using the numeric keys, I can get to watch it (and the Now+Next data gets displayed too).

I've tried re-running the Channel Organiser, which certainly shows all the missing channels (and shows them as retained); it also seems to correctly delete the unwanted channels. However, this makes no difference to the channels seen in the EPG.

I've also tried re-installing MyStuff 6.4 from scratch, but it has made no difference either (although I now have the C5+1 logo).

Any ideas what I can check or try next?

Sig partially generated by MyInfo on 12/3/12
juwlz
Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:30 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10280 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
Has your area had any DSO stages? Using Channel Organiser to scan from same transmitter won't work because the transmitters are changing.

Move FastScanGUI from /ProgramFiles/Utilities to /ProgramFiles/Auto Start, and rename the TAP to reflect your local transmitter.

Then Factory Reset. FSG will detect that you have no channels and will run, with the transmitter in the TAP name pre-selected. NB: You may have to select a version of the transmitter a line or two down to get the correct transmitter according to the date. There may also be issues with the display because the Toppy is trying to display its own screens, but use OK to select the transmitter / date that you need, and then Rec to do the scan.

NB: If you don't get all the channels, reset any restrictions by doing a Factory Reset, then a reboot and another Factory Reset. After a second reboot, run FSG again.

You can then use CO without a scan to delete the dodgy channels.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
WWWombat
Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:51 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 23 Nov 2008 Posts: 31 Location: Harrogate, North Yorks (Emley Moor transmitter)
Emley moor had already gone through DSO before we arrived - while CP hadn't at the time we left. However, the initial retune (with CO set to "Group B") certainly seemed to work.

I'm sure I've tried FSG manually, but I'll try giving it a go via the AutoStart section too. I'm not sure about naming the TAP with a space in the name, but I'll find out...

WWWombat
Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:38 am Reply with quote
Ugh - this is getting to be messy.

I first renamed it to "Emley Moor.tap", but nothing ran after the factory reset. I then RTFM, and renamed it to "FastScanGUI-Emley_Moor.tap" and rebooted - and it ran, but highlighted the pre-DSO options.

As soon as I hit "OK" to try to deselect the pre-DSO date, the original toppy menu re-appeared. This confused me a bit - it looked like the FSG tap had just died.

I then hit the down-arrow, and got a mixed screen - partially displaying the toppy system setting menu (eg to set time), while also overlaying a couple of lines of the FSG transmitters. I then hit "OK" to select the post-DSO date: This got highlighted *and* the toppy went into the time-setting menu. It looks like the key presses are going to both FSG *and* the original menu!

I then hit the Rec button, and FSG seemed to run OK... I'm letting it run, and will go through the other steps shortly.

Is this standard behaviour with FSG? And is there a way to get it to pre-select a post-DSO date?

Edit: Doh - I just re-read your response, and see that this strange key behaviour is indeed expected.

Last edited by WWWombat on Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:21 am; edited 1 time in total

WWWombat
Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:44 am Reply with quote
Hah - more bizarre. After FSG ran, the options for setting the time stayed overlaid - both on top of the "MyInfo" screens (warning of duplicate channels) and plain TV later on.

I can't tell what channels were duplicated (because the overlaid items from the menu hid the detail), but isn't that a bit weird - I've done a factory reset, and an FSG tuned to a single transmitter - so how did I get any duplicates?

billmars
Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:01 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Sep 2005 Posts: 741 Location: Hull
WWWombat wrote:
If I use the P+ keys, the toppy jumps over the missing channels. If I key the channel using the numeric keys, I can get to watch it (and the Now+Next data gets displayed too).
Is your MyStuff favourites file up to date, and listing all the channels you want to watch?
WWWombat wrote:
Is this standard behaviour with FSG? And is there a way to get it to pre-select a post-DSO date?
Is fastscan the latest release?

5800 Samsung 1Tb Autostart TAPs: Extend 1.7;TSRCommander 1.5;TF5000 Display 1.53;EPG2MEI 0.95;MyStuff 6.5;QuickJump 1.72;Power Down 0.75;SecCache 0.4;TSSaver 0.4;MHEG Control B2;eit_sub_sng 0.6 Transmitter: Belmont Extras: as2mei (via NSLU2)
WWWombat
Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:07 am Reply with quote
After a fresh reboot, I can see the MyInfo report:

"The following duplicate or invalid channel has been found:
32 / 795: 'Big Deal' "

Does this mean it thinks channels 32 and 795 are duplicates? Isn't 795 a radio channel?

Oh - and MyStuff is now doing something funny.

1. If I hit "Archive" I get the normal MyStuff archive, showing that MyStuff is indeed running.
2. If I hit "Guide" I get the original toppy EPG, not the MyStuff one. The toppy EPG now *does* show those "missing" channels (such as PickTV and Yesterday), and shows programme details.
3. Selecting one of those "missing" channels from the toppy EPG causes the channel to be displayed.
4. If I hit the "P+" or "P-" keys, I get channel changes and the MyStuff Now+Next overlay - without any details.

Ah - the MyStuff EPG gathering has run (showing the L and S roundels), and now I get different behaviour...

1. Archive still give the MyStuff archive
2. "Guide" now goes to the MyStuff guide - but it is still missing those channels (even though they appeared on the toppy EPG a few minutes earlier).
3. P+ and P- shows a populated N+N overlay, but skips over the missing channels.
4. I can get the missing channels by keying in the channel number directly. Once displayed, a "P+" will take me to BBC1.

Oh - neither channel 32 or 795 appear in the EPG, so I can't see what MyInfo was complaining about.

Bizarre. I guess I'll try the double-reset idea next...

WWWombat
Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:42 am Reply with quote
billmars wrote:
WWWombat wrote:
Is your MyStuff favourites file up to date, and listing all the channels you want to watch?

I've not used the MyStuff favourites channel lists... or at least I didn't think I had. But even if I did, the "missing" channels were certainly there when connected to Crystal Palace, and were there on the initial tuning to Emley Moor.

But...

I just noticed that when I swap between TV and Radio (and I'm displaying the EPG at the time), it tells me I'm showing "All Radio" but "Watchable Channels" for TV. I recognise that as one of the filenames I set up, so I suspect I *am* using a favourite of some form, and I may need to change that.

Off to explore...

Quote:

WWWombat wrote:
Is fastscan the latest release?

I'm not sure... as I just deleted the version number when renaming the TAP. It was installed as part of the MyStuff 6.4 installer, which I re-downloaded, and re-installed, yesterday.

WWWombat
Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:53 am Reply with quote
WWWombat wrote:

But...

I just noticed that when I swap between TV and Radio (and I'm displaying the EPG at the time), it tells me I'm showing "All Radio" but "Watchable Channels" for TV. I recognise that as one of the filenames I set up, so I suspect I *am* using a favourite of some form, and I may need to change that.

Off to explore...

And that explains that...

Before I installed CO, I used to use a "favourites" file named "Watchable Channels" to restrict the list to non-dodgy channels - and then set MyStuff to default to this list for TV channels.

But it seems that the last run of CO (mid February) caused lots of channels to be deleted from this file - and it is this that caused my loss of channels.

Either updating the file, or using a list of "All TV" fixes things...