Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  New users start here  ~  Problem after changing IDE ribbon cable

Page 1 of 1
Rosey
Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm looking for advice please. I had problems with my 5810 not recognising the file list so suspected a hard drive fault. Then I read various Toppy forum topics and thought it wise to do the commonly recommended "capacitor" replacement mod. That worked OK but didn't solve the first problem. I tested the hard drive on my pc and it only ran intermittently, so I bought a new 500gb WD WDBAAY5000ENC - SATA drive and connected it to the 5810 PVR via a Maplins SATA to IDE converter (code N64HQ). The original IDE cable was too short to reach the new connection point without repositioning the H Drive so I tested Hard Drive first, with it sitting loosley (but safely isolated) above the pcb's etc. Fired it up - I followed the format instruction. Everything worked fine. I recorded some TV programmes as tests. Did rewinds & forwards etc. All performed OK. Very pleased. Then, to allow re assembly with the hard drive mounted as originally, I bought a new, longer ribbon cable (Maplins 40 pin, 80 cables on ribbon & slave connection - code DG40) and connected up as seems to be advised (blue to motherboard & black to H Drive converter, ignoring the slave connection). Tested it - Nothing, just a small "switch" symbol on the display It doesn't respond to the remote control at all. The only thing it responds to is being switched off - then it just shows the digital clock. Suspecting the new ribbon cable may be faulty I naturally tried it again with the original IDE cable again - no joy. Tried the new ribbon in reverse - again no joy. Anyone with experience of the same ?? Thanks if you can help.
mstombs
Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:16 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 31 Dec 2006 Posts: 670
Not unusual to need a slightly longer cable and for some longer cables not to work, or to be intermittent/unreliable. You have to drill out a blank to make hole since Toppy motherboard doesn't have a missing pin to ensure correct polarisation? I and others found using the master to slave connection from a shielded round cable works. BUT I don't like the sound of what's happened to your Toppy. Since half the conductors are common earths sounds like something shorted and blown. I recommend you leave powered off till more specific advice...
Rosey
Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:17 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the comments. I'd had a similar concern that something was Zapped but would like to think there may still be an avenue for a simple "re set" or similar action. After my initial elation with hard drive replacement success I'm begginning to wonder if all the previous effort was worth it.
andyfras
Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:30 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3043 Location: Fleet, Hampshire (Hannington)
Which capacitors did you change and where did you get them?

I have recently repaired a 5800 (PSU capacitors). The owner was using the Maplin adapter with a 2TB WD HDD, which he had fitted thinking that the problem was the HDD (the original HDD was OK). He had used a 40 pin cable and although it seemed to format and load files OK, it was very flaky and would often cause the Toppy to hang. I replaced the cable with an 80 wire type (reversed) and all appears to be OK.

However, I have found the 5810 to be more picky than the 5800 as to which SATA adapters it will work with. Has anyone successfully used the Maplin adapter with a 5810?

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 1TB with fan, Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScWfZ
Rosey
Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:42 am Reply with quote
I recall replacing 9 capacitors, which you supplied. I'm fairly sure the old hard drive was faulty as it only ran intermittently when bolted to my pc (for the purpose of testing) as a normal drive - it repeatly froze, so often as to stop it doing anything of worth.
RufusA
Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:53 pm Reply with quote
andyfras wrote:
However, I have found the 5810 to be more picky than the 5800 as to which SATA adapters it will work with. Has anyone successfully used the Maplin adapter with a 5810?

I've been using that Maplin adapter with a 5810 and a reversed 80 pin IDE since late October last year. No issues to report with it running an old 500GB Sata drive salvaged from a Dell desktop (apart from SWMBO tendancy to fill all the available space)

http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19082&start=0

Rufus.
underquark
Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Oct 2005 Posts: 1776
Whilst experimenting with a 5800 I found that some IDE cables just work better than others. One of my Toppies has a very old, 40-pin cable and does great. Note that for some cables you need to drill out the blocked-in hole (pin 21?) to get it to fit the Toppy motherboard.

5xTF5800PVR - 1 organ-donor, 1 for experimenting on, 2 x 250Gb and 1 x 500Gb (Seagate ST3500630A, no fan), one Toppy with UPS and dedicated aerial; MyStuff 6.3; QuickJump 1.72; EPG2 MEI; MEISearch 1.37; Various remotes - URC8820 (my fav.), URC8910 (for SWMBO), URC7562 (to learn new codes) programmed using tools from the excellent JP1 site.