Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Computer connections  ~  0 KB size file when transferring files from Toppy to PC

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2
juwlz
Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:55 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10353 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
@seriousman You say you were baffled by the thread you linked to in your original post.

What are the names of the files you can't copy? Do they include any characters that are invalid in Windows file names? (The usual culprits are /, * or ?).

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
seriousman
Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:59 am Reply with quote
Hello Julie & Geoff

I have pasted the myinfo log bit that has my signature (whatever that is) into my profile.

As regards file transfers, I have tried 2 different USB ports and 2 cables. There’s plenty of space on my PC HD and there are NO illegal characters in the filenames, just the usual alphabetic, numerical, space and “–“ as created by the recordings. Something I omitted to say which I probably should have is that on rare occasions I can transfer some small files (like a ½ hour program or less) to my PC. In fact, the smaller the file size the greater the chance of a successful transfer. However, since there’s hardly ever anything that small I would like to transfer it’s not of any use to me. A 1-hour program has virtually no chance.

As regards sending it for repair, I have no intention of doing so. That’s because I don’t have faith in the machine lasting much longer. I can see myself paying to repair the USB port or PSU and then the HD crashing (as it will do sooner or later). I say this because this is my 4th yes 4th machine, the first 3 all failed in the first year and were replaced under guarantee. I realise some owners get very attached to their Toppys and will do anything to keep them running but I am not one of them. If any hardware goes on it that will be it. I will just get something else, hopefully something which is far less troublesome than this was.

I’ll get round to trying Geoffs latest ideas but its not something I can do quickly because of my limited technical ability. I’ll also try and get Antares up and running. If I can’t get file transfers to work I’ll just have to live with it. It’s not something I could ever do after all, and they do say “what you’ve never had, you never miss”. So for now thank you for your efforts and if you’ve got any further ideas not related to hardware please say so. If it is definitely a hardware problem, well we’ve gone as far as we can.

Thank you again.

Mick

ryclark
Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 10 Jul 2005 Posts: 1557 Location: Shropshire
Maybe it is your PC depowering the USB port after a certain time?

juwlz
Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:23 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10353 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
When you switch to something else, you might like to offer your Toppy to andyfras to repair. Proceeds from selling these on the forum get donated to Nigel to help keep the forum running.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Jan 2007 Posts: 3061 Location: Bristol ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ Windows XP, USB
Quote:
ryclark said
"Maybe it is your PC depowering the USB port after a certain time?"

This is a strong possibility.
Go into the "Device Manager" and check each of your USB hubs/ports to determine which one is being used by the toppy. Once you have located the USB hub, make sure that the the power management settings do not say that the computer can turn it off to save power.

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; QuickJump 1.72; MyInfo B5.6; Font Manager 1.0d; EPG2MEI v0.96; CrashTrace v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; Extend v1.7; WSSkiller V2.12d; SecCache (UK) v0.4; MyStuff 6.5;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 6/9/13
seriousman
Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:13 pm Reply with quote
There is no problem with the USB controllers. In power management - “allow the computer to turn off this device to save power” was NOT ticked.

But the very good news (for me anyway) is that file transfers are working when I use Antares. Why it doesn’t in Altair is still a mystery that would be nice to solve. I checked the DLL files in my program files and did the manual copy as instructed in Topmanager.

i.e. RENAME C:\Program Files\Topfield\TfDll.dll TO C:\Program Files\Topfield\TfDll (TfBulk, 1.0.0.6).dll
and COPY C:\Program Files\Topmanager\tfWinUsb.dll TO C:\Program Files\Topfield\TfDll.dll
So, I get “No issues found with DLL versions” but all to no avail. I suspect it’s not my hardware but maybe some driver or other files that Altair uses but not Antares. If anyone has any ideas……

Anyway, it’s good to know Antares works and I’m very grateful to qubits for pointing me to it and indeed writing such a wonderful package. In fact, its members like him and also Geoff and Julie for taking the time and effort to reply that make this forum so special in this day and age. Now that I’m happy with it, I may have to eat my words about not getting my Toppy repaired in future.

Thank you everyone

Mick

qubits
Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 26 May 2010 Posts: 164 Location: Australia
Good to hear that it's working, Mick.

It might still be the case that your USB is randomly disconnecting for some reason. Altair will cancel a transfer as soon as the connection drops out, but Antares is designed to keep automatically retrying in that situation. (You can even unplug then re-plug the cable during a transfer, and Antares won't mind). Do you ever see the message "ERROR CONNECTING TO THE PVR. Retrying . . ." appear in red, above Antares' progress bar, during a transfer?

Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:55 am Reply with quote
Hello qubits

Pleased to say that I’ve not seen that message yet which implies it's not the USB. Will let you know if I do.

Mick