Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Computer connections  ~  Toppy/Mystuff stopped working on recorded program delete.

Page 1 of 1
carpetman
Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Whilst deleting a set of programs we'd just watched the picture froze and now the file list is 'greyed out' and I cannot get access to any of the recorded programs.

I tried to retrieve things to no avail so I connected the laptop to the Toppy, but although the computer appears to initially connect it doesn't show up in Altair.

I've downloaded the USB files, but they haven't worked.

Any suggestions to help me get back to normality would be gratefully received.

Incidentally the I've connected previously through this laptop and MyStuff has worked perfectly for some time.

Cheers

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Apr 2010 Posts: 1054 Location: Taunton, Somerset
We need more details, how old is your toppy? What model? What software version, etc?

PSU Caps 2/2011 Tx: Mendip. TV: Bush L322LED (22"), UPS, DVD-R: Panasonic DMR EH-50, STB: Labgear FV300. PC Acer Aspire One with Win7
carpetman
Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Hi Bizman

The Toppy is a 5810 about 3 years old, running software version TF-NPT 5.15.09T.

Device Version v5.4.10, Loader version C5.19, System ID 457, Hardware version V1.01.

PC is a Lenovo laptop running Vista 32 Business Professional and Altair 1.250.

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:02 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10381 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
Firstly, try switching it off at the wall. Leave it switched off for at least 2 minutes.

If that doesn't work, unplug it and leave it for a few hours (to cool down).

The most likely cause is that your PSU has failed (or if leaving the Toppy to cool down for a few hours worked, your PSU is about to fail - and if not repaired it can do damage to other hardware in your Toppy, including the hard drive).

The good news is that andyfras in Fleet, Hampshire and MikeyP in Bolton both offer a quick turnaround repair service for less than the price of a meal for two at a typical steakhouse chain. Send them a PM for details. Alternatively, andyfras can supply a capacitor kit for a DIY repair more cheaply than the minimum order value from reputable suppliers.

PSU failure is a common problem with Toppies, even ones as young as 2 years old, and the ventilation in a 5810 is poorer than in a 5800, so they tend to fail sooner. Think of it as an opportunity to give yours a bit of TLC that will help it to last for many more years to come.

Once it's back up and running, consider setting up a forum signature so that we have basic details about your setup for future reference if you need more help. Geoff Bacon's Windows application TopManager makes this a doddle to do.

One other thing that's really important on 5810s running MyStuff is to prune your channels down to no more than 40 TV and Radio channels. Otherwise you run the risk of running out of memory, and therefore getting memory corruption (and when you get memory corruption all bets are off as to what will go wrong, as it depends what the corrupted bit of memory was being used for, and what bit of random data gets written there). The latest MyStuff installer adds a number of useful TAPs to /ProgramFiles/Utilities, including Channel Organiser, which can delete multiple channels at once (including duplicates) and remember which ones you want to keep, so it's easy to delete the same ones again next time you have to do a channel scan.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
Bizman
Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Apr 2010 Posts: 1054 Location: Taunton, Somerset
I was just going to say that. Very Happy

My toppy is not as old as yours, but I still had the capacitors replaced as a preventative measure.

PSU Caps 2/2011 Tx: Mendip. TV: Bush L322LED (22"), UPS, DVD-R: Panasonic DMR EH-50, STB: Labgear FV300. PC Acer Aspire One with Win7
carpetman
Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Thanks Julie & Bizman,
I've left the unit off (plug out of the mains) for 3 hours and tried again. It continues to load, but only the native Toppy system with the Channels in the Toppy EPG. I can't set a timer and I still can't see any previously recorded programs.

Looks like it will have to go for repair!

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:05 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10381 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
Leave it unplugged until you can send it off then, or you could do more damage.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
carpetman
Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:28 am Reply with quote
Thanks Julie,

Already pulled the plug last night.