Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Firmwares, enhancements and upgrades  ~  Sata Drive

Page 1 of 1
denwyn
Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 09 Apr 2006 Posts: 78 Location: Taunton
My toppy died before Xmas, hard drive packed in, it was approx 8 years old and only had the capacitors ect upgraded 12 months ago. I bought a Humax HD Fox T2 as a replacment and am more than pleased with it The old Toppy was consigned to the garage, but it seems a shame to give up on it so i am giving it to my daughter for her bedroom. I am going to buy a Sata Convertor, can i use any sata drive in it,only want a 250gb as for her thats more than enough, i never got anywhere near filling the old 250 drive in it.
ccs
Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 1819 Location: E Yorkshire Belmont Transmitter
Try looking two or three topics above yours. Smile

ccsx
juwlz
Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:06 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10278 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
denwyn wrote:
Can i use any sata drive in it,only want a 250gb as for her thats more than enough, i never got anywhere near filling the old 250 drive in it.
No. You'll need to check the known working models sticky threads for both the hard drive itself and convertors for it.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
jumbo
Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Apr 2005 Posts: 4733
Briefly, Samsung and Western Digital are the best Toppy friendly brands and the smaller drives are not necessarily cheaper or better. 500 Gb is pretty standard for SATA nowadays. Make sure that you measure the PSU voltages before you invest in the adapter or the drive in case you need to stabilise the output current. The capacitors are not the only culprits there.