Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Firmwares, enhancements and upgrades  ~  Upgrading 5800 HDD

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Ronseal
Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:55 pm Reply with quote
I want to upgrade the HDD after sorting my PSU out as we've regularly got 10% left of 250gb drive!

Reading the threads on here I've come to the following "easy" setup:

Samsung 1TB HD103SJ - 52 amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002MQC0P8/ref=oss_product

Turbosat bridge module 23.75 plus p&p
http://www.turbosat.com/products/BRIDGE-MODULE--PATA-%252d-SATA-.html

Is this all I need or is there another cable /cheaper option.
I'm assuming this is straight forward to replace - plug n play?

Thanks
Chris

NB Just found this cheaper HDD for 47 http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/13863947/Western-Digital-Caviar-Green-WD10EARS-1TB-Internal-SATA-Hard-Drive/Product.html?_%24ja=tsid:11518%7Ccat:13863947%7Cprd:13863947
andyfras
Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3065 Location: Fleet, Hampshire (Hannington)
I can certainly recommend the WD10EARS. I have fitted it to many Toppies. It runs very cool and quiet.

The Turbosat adapter is a safe bet. I have heard that you can get cheaper postage if you phone rather than booking it online.

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 1TB with fan, Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScWfZ
ces
Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 28 Apr 2007 Posts: 83
I can say that although only one day after fitting this recomendation from Jumbo all is OK:

jumbo wrote:
That drive (WD10EARS) is very good and I had one in my Toppy for many months without problem before upgrading to a larger 1.5Tb drive. I have had a 1.5Tb Western Digital (WD15EARS) together with a Sintech ST4059B adapter for nearly two years now - all working flawlessly!

PS The adapter above needs a power cable in addition to a "shortish" 80-wire IDE cable (used as per instructions elsewhere).

PPS Don't get tempted by the small price differential between the 2Tb drives and the rest as they could cause problems.

Although the adapter I got came with a power cable. Very Happy
mstombs
Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 31 Dec 2006 Posts: 680
I have had the 1.5TB Samsung EcoGreen F2 for long enough to now be down only 20% spare -its probably now obsolete - but I would recommend a slower 5400rpm drive - likely to have lower spin-up current and be quieter - I'm sure the Toppy cannot use the higher burst speed of a 7200rpm.

Did have problems initially with cable - but seem to have lucky with ultra cheap dealextreme adaptor (others have had quality problems).
Ronseal
Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Well I ordered the WD10EARS 1TB from play.com and the turbosat pata to sata adaptor, will report on how I get on,

Thanks for the advice
Chris
Ronseal
Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Well it was too good to be true, Play.com cancelled my order due to unavailability & nil stock.

All 1TB drives i've seen seem to have doubled in price in the last month???

Anyone seen any 1TB HDD's that work in Toppy & are cheap??
chunkywizard
Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:23 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 13 May 2005 Posts: 9305 Location: Sindlesham, Berkshire Tx: Hannington
Hi there,

I have a spare WD10EARS 1TB drive sitting in a drawer looking for a good home. Feel free to make me an offer. It had been sitting in my WHS until I read that this type of drive causes issues so I removed it. It's not new, but probably only 1 year old.

PM me if you are interested with a reasonable offer.

CW

jumbo
Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Apr 2005 Posts: 4733
Since the devastating floods in Thailand hard drive prices have been rocketing upwards. Chunky can now name his price Wink
andy___
Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:16 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 03 Sep 2011 Posts: 47 Location: Stirling
Ronseal wrote:
Well it was too good to be true, Play.com cancelled my order due to unavailability & nil stock.

All 1TB drives i've seen seem to have doubled in price in the last month???

Anyone seen any 1TB HDD's that work in Toppy & are cheap??

this drive http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/western-digital-elements-external-desktop-hard-drive-1-5tb-59-99-pc-world-1066514?page=2

seems to contain a WD15EADS 1.5TB (see the picture half way down the page). The WD10EADS 1.0TB (smaller drive) is listed as working here http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17720&start=0

It's also on Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/Western-Digital-Elements-Desktop-External/dp/B002P3XSAO/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Since the exact same HDD is not listed, I couldn't guarantee it would work in a toppy. If you're feeling lucky you could give it a try. You could always use it as a backup drive if the toppy turns its nose up at it. If you want a safer option go with chunkywizard's drive if you haven't done so already.

2TB HDD, 12V fan with series resistor, Harmony 555 remote. DigitalStream HD PVR. W8 x64
chunkywizard
Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:13 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 13 May 2005 Posts: 9305 Location: Sindlesham, Berkshire Tx: Hannington
Ronseal hasn't gone with my drive, in fact I haven't heard from him at all, even after PMing him. I'll wait a bit longer but if I don't hear anything then I will be open to other offers for the drive,

CW

jumbo
Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Apr 2005 Posts: 4733
Given the heights to which prices of hard drives have climbed to I also recommed people opt for the WD Elements (a any variety) as they seem to be good value and almost all contain the Toppy friendly drives. Not very easy to open them but a search on the net provides good clues.
per-Sony-fied
Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:48 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 13 Jan 2007 Posts: 114 Location: Essex
I couldn't believe the rise in prices doing a HD search the other week.

For ex. The samsung 2TB drive I bought a few months back privately, admittedley for a bargain price of 40 but were selling for about 67 at the time are now around 130!! Shocked OUCH!
Ronseal
Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:42 pm Reply with quote
chunkywizard wrote:
Ronseal hasn't gone with my drive, in fact I haven't heard from him at all, even after PMing him. I'll wait a bit longer but if I don't hear anything then I will be open to other offers for the drive,

CW

Sorry I've not got back to you chunkywizard, I've decided to wait 6mths to see where prices go as manufacturing recovers after the floods, I'm not urgently in need of one plus other priorities (err hobbies) on the go at the mo!
Thanks anyway for the offer, open it upto other member.
denwyn
Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 09 Apr 2006 Posts: 78 Location: Taunton
chunkywizard wrote:
Hi there,

I have a spare WD10EARS 1TB drive sitting in a drawer looking for a good home. Feel free to make me an offer. It had been sitting in my WHS until I read that this type of drive causes issues so I removed it. It's not new, but probably only 1 year old.

PM me if you are interested with a reasonable offer.

CW

Thanks for the offer, i really only wanted to put in the same size 250gb drive as is fitted now, i think i will wait for now, i am in no real rush as have just ordered a Humax HDR Fox - T2 from John Lewis. I'm sure you will have no problems in sellig it.
chunkywizard
Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:55 am Reply with quote
Anybody else want it?

CW