Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  MyStuff  ~  Cleaning up after disk fail

Page 1 of 1
Salopian
Posted: Sun May 19, 2013 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 05 May 2005 Posts: 411 Location: London
The disc in my 5800 went faulty. I managed to get it to run long enough to copy ProgramFiles off. I replaced the disc and copied ProgramFiles back. Mystuff is running as it was before. However I have lost all the recordings that were on the disc. Which files that reference the non-existant recordings can I delete?

juwlz
Posted: Sun May 19, 2013 5:13 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10278 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
I trust you've also done a PSU repair (or had somebody do it for you), otherwise your new disk probably won't last long. See Toppy Repairs.

To answer your question, that rather depends on whether you want the Toppy to remember what you've recorded so it doesn't re-record stuff you've already watched.

The filenames in /ProgramFiles/Settings/MyStuff have fairly self-explanatory names, but some of them are inter-dependent. The main one is Recordedinfo.dat, but that will contain information about any recent recordings too, so you probably don't want to delete it. It does also interact with some other files (e.g. MOTlist).

MyStuff will have already worked out which files don't actually exist, and will have updated its files accordingly, so you don't need to worry about that.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
Salopian
Posted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Thanks. I did the caps about a year ago. The disc just died of old age.
I believe that the recorded program info is held in separate files from the data and didn't want them to be hanging about forever.

juwlz
Posted: Mon May 20, 2013 1:03 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10278 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
Salopian wrote:
I believe that the recorded program info is held in separate files from the data and didn't want them to be hanging about forever.
Once the files don't exist, MyStuff keeps info about recordings for however long you have set in K12: Search validity period=24 weeks after their recording date, and then cleans them up automatically.

The reason for this is that CRID values can legitimately be recycled for something else once they haven't been used for their original series for 6 months; you don't want MyStuff arbitrarily recording something just because the same CRID got reused for something entirely unrelated; similarly, you don't want it failing to record something because it thinks you had already recorded it.

So one option would be to temporarily set K12 to something like 2 weeks (or however long it is since you recovered), exit and restart MyStuff to force it to tidy up. Once that's done, set it back to 24 to resume normal working. Note though that this will make MyStuff re-record things that you've already recorded (whether you've watched them or not) - which may or may not be what you want.

Julie

Salopian
Posted: Mon May 20, 2013 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Thanks. I will try that. If it records something I have watched I can delete it.

juwlz
Posted: Mon May 20, 2013 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Well, I suppose at least you won't be short of disk space Laughing

Salopian
Posted: Tue May 21, 2013 7:53 am Reply with quote
It is one way of getting rid of the things that you recorded years ago and have never watched. Smile

YorkshireJumbo
Posted: Mon May 27, 2013 10:38 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 16 Sep 2005 Posts: 543 Location: Yorkshire end of the M1
I'm in a similar situation. I had a 500Gb disk get corrupted while we were away on holiday, so I swapped the Toppy for a backup I'd bought from andyfras for just such a problem. I checked the disk using SpinRite and it found no errors at a very low level, so it must have been something like a signal issue with the Toppy.

I've been trying to recover files using the TOPFHDRW suite, but it got into a fail loop, and I couldn't recover any full recordings, just lots of partials. Meanwhile, the replacement was merrily recording away and recordings were being watched as before, and I realised that I could live without most of the stuff I was trying to recover.

I've been using a Windows cmd script and Antares to backup the recordings and settings regularly, though I have to go through and delete watched recordings manually until I work out how to check without copying over the .del files as well. That would take to long IMHO.

So I've now done a fresh install on the old Toppy and disk, copied the recordings and MS settings back onto it from the spare, and I'm OK with the fact that I've lost some files almost 18 months old (or at least I think I'm OK with it - time will tell!)

TAPs: MS 6.5 Suite, UK OZ Surfer