Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Firmwares, enhancements and upgrades  ~  Recovering data from a drive not currently in my toppy.

Page 1 of 1
czg
Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:58 pm Reply with quote
I've replaced my 5800's original 160gb HDD with a shiny new 2tb drive.

While I can live without the contents of the old drive I'd rather not, but I'd also rather not swap the old drive back in to copy the files off.

I've got an old Windows ME PC lying around which I'm sure I could add the toppy drive to as a slave, and an external drive which could take the data. What I don't know is whether Windows would trash the drive, or assuming it wouldn't whether Altair would be able to read it.

Has anybody successfully grabbed data this way? Are there any pitfalls to be aware of?

Having grabbed the data to an external drive I assume there would be no problem putting it back on the new drive via the USB cable?

Last edited by czg on Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
ccs
Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 1937 Location: E Yorkshire Belmont Transmitter
Windows won't see the drive - you need to run TopfHDRW.

ccsx
jumbo
Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Apr 2005 Posts: 4733
You need to simultaneously attach BOTH drives to a PC using any combination of IDE, SATA or USB connections. TopfHDRW (one of only two software tools capable of detecting the Toppy drive) can then "see" both drives and you will then be able to copy files from one to the other at the fastest possible rate. If you don't have an IDE connection on your PC motherboard you can always temporarily use the CD/DVD IDE cable to connect the old drive whilst using SATA for the new one.

PS Do not (re)format the new drive using TopfHDRW (it provides that functionality) as it could cause problems later. Format new drive in the Toppy FIRST.
underquark
Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Oct 2005 Posts: 1776
I hope that's a new 2TB drive, not 2GB, otherwise you'll be disappointed. I'd just leave the new drive in the Toppy (assuming you've already done the translpant), hook up the old drive to a PC and use TopfHDRW as suggested. Then transfer the stuff off the old drive to a temporary location on the PC and transfer it later to the Toppy after editing it and weeding out any stuff you really don't need.

Transfer from disk to dsk is fairly fast but some PCs won't cope with two usb links at the same time (caddy-PC-caddy or caddy-PC-Toppy via Altair). Transfer to and from the Toppy with the drive in situ is a v e r y s l o w process hence suggest do it in two stages

If you do use Altair to transfer files to or from your Toppy please note that Windows will not cope with certain characters in a file name (: ? / and the like). You might tee up lots of files for transfer and then leave it unattended; when it gets to the problem file it will simply stop transferring.

5xTF5800PVR - 1 organ-donor, 1 for experimenting on, 2 x 250Gb and 1 x 500Gb (Seagate ST3500630A, no fan), one Toppy with UPS and dedicated aerial; MyStuff 6.3; QuickJump 1.72; EPG2 MEI; MEISearch 1.37; Various remotes - URC8820 (my fav.), URC8910 (for SWMBO), URC7562 (to learn new codes) programmed using tools from the excellent JP1 site.
czg
Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:30 pm Reply with quote
jumbo wrote:
You need to simultaneously attach BOTH drives to a PC using any combination of IDE, SATA or USB connections. TopfHDRW (one of only two software tools capable of detecting the Toppy drive) can then "see" both drives and you will then be able to copy files from one to the other at the fastest possible rate.

I've seen that fix, unfortunately the toppy and PC are 80 miles apart, hence my desire to copy via a windows external drive (I only have a laptop available at the toppy end and its HDD is tiny).

If I read the TopfHDRW documentation correctly it can copy Toppy to PC but may not work on WinME, and the TFtool which does may not cope with the 160mb drive.

My alternative is a new Windows 7 tower which I'd rather not open up, but if I can replace the DVD with the old toppy HDD then I suppose it becomes an option (I had ruled it out as being too new to contain a PATA capability).

As a final alternative I could open up my external drive (250mb and therefore probably PATA) and insert the toppy drive, thus allowing a External > Laptop > Toppy connection - but I'd be very reluctant to go this route as I don't want to risk breaking my backup device (I've not checked but I don't believe its designed to be taken apart).
ccs
Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 1937 Location: E Yorkshire Belmont Transmitter
I used a usb caddy to link up to my laptop

ccsx
czg
Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:36 pm Reply with quote
underquark wrote:
I hope that's a new 2TB drive, not 2GB, otherwise you'll be disappointed.

Embarassed Oops, well spotted.

Looks from your other comments that what I want to do is possible provided I can find a software / hardware combo which works.

Thanks all.
czg
Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:42 pm Reply with quote
ccs wrote:

That sounds possible, and would give life after death for the old HDD as a second backup device - can you recommend one/tell me what to avoid?
ccs
Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:07 pm Reply with quote
czg wrote:
ccs wrote:

That sounds possible, and would give life after death for the old HDD as a second backup device - can you recommend one/tell me what to avoid?
edit: link wrong. I got one of these and it works ok. There are probably better/combination ones available but it did the trick. I guess it depends how much you want to pay.

Last edited by ccs on Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

ccsx
Doct0r
Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 01 Jun 2010 Posts: 353 Location: Birmingham
That's a SATA caddy you gave a link for.

ccs
Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Doct0r wrote:
Well spotted - it was this, which isn't exactly a caddy.

ccsx
czg
Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:28 pm Reply with quote
ccs wrote:
Doct0r wrote:
Well spotted - it was this, which isn't exactly a caddy.

Looks good, I'm sold...
Doct0r
Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:08 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 01 Jun 2010 Posts: 353 Location: Birmingham
Just in case you haven't bought yet, I've used both of these with great success:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280625175542&category=74941&emailtemplateid=29674826&sellerid=zTpVD1PmK5L+tR68DO5bcQ==&buyerid=zTpVD1PmK5KqsS1c93b7NA==&refid=store&ssPageName=ADME:B:SEMK:UK:LISTG

Link above is similar to the Plexus model ccs recommended.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=270578428363&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

2nd link is to a caddy for both IDE and SATA. As expected, more expensive. IMO, tidier but at a high premium.

It seems the 2nd link also goes to a buy it now at the same price so you can do a direct comparison and see what you prefer.