Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Firmwares, enhancements and upgrades  ~  Upgrading the Topfield TF5800PVRt Hard Drive

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2
mrlovalova
Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Bought it in 2005
Model 5800pvr
SATA disk: Using the WD20EARS 2.0 TB SATA
Maplins IDE/SATA adapter (http://www.maplin.co.uk/sata-to-ide-adaptor-for-pvr-dvr-pc-351573)
needed more capacity.......

This is what I have done so far.

Removed old disk
attached new 2TB disk using the original toppy IDE cable
Toppy recognises the disk, and request to format it.
format completes in less than a min
connect the usb cable to the toppy
Use mystuff installer to install the latest version 6.4 to the toppy
toppy successfully installs ok
toppy reboots
Mystuff does not load (wait 10mins)
switch toppy off.....and on again
Toppy goes into a loop.

And thats where I get stuck.......

Things I have tried
Renamed all the taps in the AutoStart Directory
re-introduce a tap into the Autostart directory, reboot toppy
toppy loops, with just one tap (Mystuff.tap) in the AutoSTart Directory
Also tried using EPG2MEI.tap in the AutoStart Directory on its own.....same loops.
jumbo
Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:25 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Apr 2005 Posts: 4733
Since you bought your Toppy in 2005 you fall in the category of "zombie Toppy" owners. These are Toppys that have had their PSU zapped but, by luck, they keep going. Have you had your PSU upgraded/repaired/checked? If the PSU can not produce the required voltages/currents then your disc will show symptons such as you are experiencing. A 2Tb disc drive probably has 4 platters and would draw a lot of current! Of course your SATA/IDE card may well be causing the problem but I suspect not. If you run TAPless can you record two programmes and playback a third? In other words try to stress the drive to see how far you get. I think you'll hit a problem there too. You could also try an 80-wire cable (back-to-front) as per instructions given elsewhere. Use the shorter half of a master-slave cable that fits leaving the rest alone until you are sure that all is OK. Then you can cut it off with a sharp knife or scissors.
mrlovalova
Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:10 am Reply with quote
Jumbo,

Thanks for getting back on this one. Yes I have had the PSU repaired by Andy F. Funny enough the old hard drive (250GB) still works (It can start all the taps in the AutoStart Directory without any problems). I have also tried using 1TB and 500GB disks still the same issue(i.e. formats ok, but loops with taps are in the AutoStart Directory). Just the original disk works without any issues. Having tried the tapless or the 80 wire cable, will try that later on tonite. Thanks for all your help on this one.
andyfras
Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:44 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3042 Location: Fleet, Hampshire (Hannington)
The WD drives have the option of a link (5-6) to reduce to data speed. This saves some handshaking between the disk and adapter and may be worth a try.

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 1TB with fan, Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScWfZ
mrlovalova
Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Hi All,

Just an update on the above, the cable change did the trick, seems like the toppy does not like the original cable on the new sata drive. All is working now, thanks for all your help on this.