Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Computer connections  ~  Experience creating of xvid files from .rec

Page 1 of 1
cdunne
Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Hi all, apologies if this is already covered somewhere but I can't find it.

Anyway I've now got two TVs that have USB ports and play Xvid files directly.

I did have a process for creating them but it involved quite a bit of effort:

1) Transfer file with Antares
2) Create m2v and mp2 cropped files with projectX
3) Create a .d2v with DGIndex
4) Configure Gordian Knott with the optimum file size which then calls Virtual Dub and Besweet / Nandub to convert the sound to mp3 and dub it to the video.

This process worked (apart from audio sync issues on long, 4 hour recordings) and I've created lots of files to play on my TVs.

However, I decided there must be a simper way so looked into Avidemux, I found that 'TFRecToTS' would strip the header quickly and allow Avidemux to import the .rec. to crop it and then encode it to Xvid. I've been struggling with Avidemux though, firstly the latest version fails to make a file that is compatible with my TVs. Upon suggestions I've moved to the 2.5 version that seems to make Xvids in a form my TVs are happy with. However, I'm still getting issues with audio sync, the conversions are slightly out of sync.

I've now come across 'Freemake Video Converter' I was a bit skeptical because it tries to install all sorts of junk / change your search engine etc But I've found it opens recs directly and it looks promising it all seemed to be going well but it seems to get as far as 50% then stall (well it's timer keeps ticking but it doesn't make any progress, update it's just gone up to 51%!)

So I just wondered does anyone know of an easy way to make TV compatible files from .recs?
kjhskj75
Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 14 Mar 2006 Posts: 67
cdunne wrote:

So I just wondered does anyone know of an easy way to make TV compatible files from .recs?

You wlll probably find that the TVs will play MPEG-2 files as well as Xvids. This is because Freeview is built around MPEG-2 and the TV must therefore contain a decoder for it.

Converting Toppy files to MPEG-2 is easy, as the video does not have to be re-encoded, just the container.

The way I do it is with avconv (from http://libav.org), like this:

avconv -i programfile.rec -codec copy programfile.mpg
cdunne
Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:38 pm Reply with quote
I'd not thought of that Doh!

So all I need to do is to use ProjectX to output a muxed m2p file. This seems to work fine, one slight annoyance on the first file I tried is that the audio tracks were swapped around (i.e. the audio description track defaults to track 1).

This is an annoyance because I then have to select the right tracks on the TV. Is there anyway to force Project X to only output one audio track or a program to swap the audio tracks around.
billmars
Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:12 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Sep 2005 Posts: 741 Location: Hull
I seem to remember having this problem.
After you've loaded the .rec file, click on 'prepare'. This will list (among other things) the video and audio pids:-
Code:
Video:
PID: 0x00C9(#1)(MPEG-2)
Audio:
PID: 0x0191(#2){eng}(Mpg1)
PID: 0x0192(#6){eng}(Mpg1)
Teletext:
n/a
Subpict.:
PID: 0x0259(#5)({eng}_0x10_p1_a1 )

This process will also put these pids into the 'filter control' pid list. Usually you only need the first two pids listed and the important audio pid is usually the first listed and the lower number. You can delete the other listed pids by double clicking on them.
It's a long time since I've done this so don't guarantee success!
But it's worth a try.
Edit...
You should be left with two pids in the list, so in this example it should look like this:-

Code:

0x00C9
0x0191

(the first being the video pid and the other the audio pid you need)

5800 Samsung 1Tb Autostart TAPs: Extend 1.7;TSRCommander 1.5;TF5000 Display 1.53;EPG2MEI 0.95;MyStuff 6.5;QuickJump 1.72;Power Down 0.75;SecCache 0.4;TSSaver 0.4;MHEG Control B2;eit_sub_sng 0.6 Transmitter: Belmont Extras: as2mei (via NSLU2)
cdunne
Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:33 pm Reply with quote
billmars thank you for your suggestion, the ProjectX log does inedeed show 3 PIDs as shown in the log window after a process has ran:

Code:
Video:
PID: 0x00C9(#1)(MPEG-2)
Audio:
PID: 0x00CA(#2){eng}(Mpg1)
PID: 0x00CE(#6){eng}(Mpg1)

However,when a process hasn't already been run it doesn't show these (the entire code it shows is pasted below) I'm struggling with the comment about 'filter control' the filter control tab on the main window shows a blank white and blue box in 'PES(&SUB)-ID/PID list' can you be of any more help?

Code:
Java Environment
22 January 2014    15:23:45 GMT
java.version   1.7.0_25
java.vendor   Oracle Corporation
java.home   C:\Program Files\Java\jre7
java.vm.version   23.25-b01
java.vm.vendor   Oracle Corporation
java.vm.name   Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM
java.class.vers   51.0
java.class.path   C:\Program Files (x86)\Project x\ProjectX.jar
os.name   Windows 7
os.arch   amd64
os.version   6.1
ini.file   C:\Program Files (x86)\Project x\X.ini
ext.disk.access   disabled or library not found
user.language   en
user.name   chris
user.home   C:\Users\chris

loading AC3 frames:
(0) AC-3, CM, 2/0(2.0), bsid 8, dn -27dB, 48000Hz, 192kbps
(1) AC-3, CM, 2/0(2.0), bsid 8, dn -23dB, 48000Hz, 256kbps
(2) AC-3, CM, 2/0(2.0), bsid 8, dn -22dB, 48000Hz, 384kbps
(3) AC-3, CM, 2/0(2.0), bsid 8, dn -27dB, 48000Hz, 448kbps
(4) AC-3, CM, 3/2lfe(5.1), bsid 8, dn -27dB, cm -3.0dB, sm -3dB, 48000Hz, 448kbps
(5) AC-3, CM, 3/2lfe(5.1), bsid 8, dn -27dB, cm -3.0dB, sm -3dB, 48000Hz, 384kbps
ac3.bin contains 6 AC3 frames
billmars
Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Sep 2005 Posts: 741 Location: Hull
cdunne wrote:

However,when a process hasn't already been run it doesn't show these (the entire code it shows is pasted below) I'm struggling with the comment about 'filter control' the filter control tab on the main window shows a blank white and blue box in 'PES(&SUB)-ID/PID list' can you be of any more help?

AS I said before, clicking on 'prepare' (before you do anything else, but obviously after you've loaded the .rec file into the 'file table' tab) will create a lot of details about the recording, including all the pids. It will also populate the pid list in the 'filter control' tab of the main window. If no pids appear in the 'filter control' tab try clicking the 'i' button in the window which appears after you've pressed 'prepare' (called 'processwindow').
PS I'm using ver 0.91.0.08/17.02.2013

5800 Samsung 1Tb Autostart TAPs: Extend 1.7;TSRCommander 1.5;TF5000 Display 1.53;EPG2MEI 0.95;MyStuff 6.5;QuickJump 1.72;Power Down 0.75;SecCache 0.4;TSSaver 0.4;MHEG Control B2;eit_sub_sng 0.6 Transmitter: Belmont Extras: as2mei (via NSLU2)
ryclark
Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 10 Jul 2005 Posts: 1525 Location: Shropshire
Might even work if you just change the file suffix to .mpg from .rec perhaps?

Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 24 Oct 2005 Posts: 1261
Does my rec2mpg work for you, it's intended to automate this sort of stuff, see the link in my signature.

Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Sorry for the delay, soniclife I'd previously used 'TSRecToTS'

I've now installed 'rec2mpg' and first impressions are it processes a lot slower than the first (which completes in a few seconds) I've downloaded dvd author (and told it to install to program files not program files x86 which allowed rec2mpg to run properly.

I'm now using Avidemux (I found version 2.5 which marks files as 'xvid' not 'divx' and the TVs like them). I thought things were going well, and in fact deleted a number of .rec files but then realised that the sound mux wasn't in sync on a file. I'll see if starting with a .mpg created with 'rec2mpg' rather than 'TSRecToTS' helps. Does anyone know of a utility that can add a delay to sound on existing avi files?

Going back to the previous replies my experience with mpgs is yes the TVs do play them (created a muxed output cropped with projectx) but my asda one (can't remember it's brand) kept stopping when playing a 2 hour one, also I'd rather encode as avi to minimise DVD space when archiving.
cdunne
Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Update, a file I've just created using rec2mpg and then avidemux and the audio is muxed properly. I guess rec2mpg is doing a more thorough job than TFrecToTS was.
cdunne
Posted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:23 pm Reply with quote
That's working fine at the moment but to complicate things there is a change that my laptop could be dual booting Linux Mint soon (just tried it and very impressed). Now I'm sure there is a way to connect to my Toppy using it (if you can on the linux routers firmware it must be possible) and Avidemux is availble as a package.

But has anyone got any advice on converting .recs to .mp2s in Linux i,e, a linux version of rec2mpg. I've found that simply changing the file header leads to audio sync issues. I guess I could use ProjectX but this has led to the issues with the audio channels I've mentioned before.
birdman
Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:11 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 13 Dec 2006 Posts: 1626 Location: Hitchin, HERTS Tx: Sandy Heath
cdunne wrote:
Now I'm sure there is a way to connect to my Toppy using it
The statically-linked x64 ones at http://birdman.dynalias.org/Toppy/R2-D2/ should work.
and also wrote:
I've found that simply changing the file header leads to audio sync issues.
Using what? You can usually change the sync timings on Linux.
vlc is happy with them as *.rec.

EDITed to correct the URI.

Last edited by birdman on Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:52 am; edited 1 time in total

Toppy: TF5800PVR/250 - Black, now 1TB WD10EURX
F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -FmVrXp+BmC0CbFsIPsUUuWfZXl,
Loader: C5.14, Hardware: 1.01
TAPs: SecCache (UK) v0.4; EPG2MEI v0.96; FontManager 1.0d; QuickJump 1.71; MhegOnOff(Now1) A3; EIT Sub v0.6; MyStuff 6.5
USB connected: SheevaPlug with Debian wheezy
Sig mostly from MyInfo on 26/10/09
cdunne
Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:43 pm Reply with quote
birdman wrote:
The statically-linked x64 ones at http://birdman.lack.local/Toppy/R2-D2/ should work.

Hmm I can't resolve that address. I'd came across posts about using 'gphoto2'.

birdman wrote:
Using what?

Using 'TFRecToTS' see http://www.pauljonathan.eclipse.co.uk/

birdman wrote:
You can usually change the sync timings on Linux.

Using what?

birdman wrote:

vlc is happy with them as *.rec.

I know it is but I want to convert them into xvid for archiving and to play back on my budget TVs.
birdman
Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:50 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 13 Dec 2006 Posts: 1626 Location: Hitchin, HERTS Tx: Sandy Heath
cdunne wrote:
birdman wrote:
The statically-linked x64 ones at http://birdman.lack.local/Toppy/R2-D2/ should work.
Hmm I can't resolve that address. I'd came across posts about using 'gphoto2'.
Sorry, that should have been:

http://birdman.dynalias.org/Toppy/R2-D2/

Toppy: TF5800PVR/250 - Black, now 1TB WD10EURX
F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -FmVrXp+BmC0CbFsIPsUUuWfZXl,
Loader: C5.14, Hardware: 1.01
TAPs: SecCache (UK) v0.4; EPG2MEI v0.96; FontManager 1.0d; QuickJump 1.71; MhegOnOff(Now1) A3; EIT Sub v0.6; MyStuff 6.5
USB connected: SheevaPlug with Debian wheezy
Sig mostly from MyInfo on 26/10/09
SonicLife
Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 24 Oct 2005 Posts: 1261
The extra seemingly slow steps in rec2mpg are there specifically to ensure the audio stays in sync, lots of single step tools seemed to mess this up.

I don't know about LINUX, but there are 2 main stages in the script, the 1st does a demux using project X, the 2nd does a remux using DVD author. Project X is a java program so will run on anything, and dvd author comes from linux and this uses a windows port, so it all should be possible in LINUX, but I don't know of a script to do it.