Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Computer connections  ~  as2mei - a replacement for rt2mei?

Page 1 of 16
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
EMJB
Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 08 Jul 2005 Posts: 3483 Location: Maldon Essex
In the rt2mei thread some rather pessimistic views were expressed about the possibility of using the metabroadcast data in a replacement for rt2mei. I found the challenge irresistible, and have adapted rt2mei to download the data for the BBC channels. Not all the mei fields are populated, but I suspect quite a few are unused by MyStuff anyway. The code is a real mess, and I haven't given much thought to how to collect the data for the other channels, but it does seem to work:

and on my Pi takes about one second per channel for 6 days EPG - I think you cannot download much more in one go - need to investigate further. Will try to get access to the other channels next - will be interesting to see what their reaction is!

EMJB

Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:22 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10467 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
Well if nothing else, thanks for the screenshot showing the Hunt vs Lauda programme, which I might otherwise have missed Wink

Note to self: check PSes!

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
Bizman
Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Apr 2010 Posts: 1152 Location: Taunton, Somerset
juwlz wrote:
Well if nothing else, thanks for the screenshot showing the Hunt vs Lauda programme, which I might otherwise have missed Wink

Note to self: check PSes!

Julie
Or consult the 'Pick(s) of the Week Topic' - it was in there. Very Happy

PSU Caps 2/2011 Tx: Mendip. TV: Bush L322LED (22"), UPS, DVD-R: Panasonic DMR EH-50, STB: Labgear FV300. PC Acer Aspire One with Win7
gomezz
Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Nov 2005 Posts: 3908 Location: Buckingham
How can you have missed it given it follows Top Gear? Shocked

Remember there is a new film about their story just come out by director Ron Howard.

juwlz
Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:08 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10467 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
gomezz wrote:
How can you have missed it given it follows Top Gear?
Well ... normally we would watch that live, but the other half's abroad, so I probably wouldn't have tomorrow.

juwlz
Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Bizman wrote:
Or consult the 'Pick(s) of the Week Topic' - it was in there. Very Happy
Yeah, but I rarely get round to ploughing through it. And once you stop checking the thread, you stop getting update notifications too.

EMJB
Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Just to let anyone interested know, I have been given full access to the Atlas database, and now can collect EPG data for nearly 2 weeks on all my channels except "Yesterday". Have implemented summer time correction, and just a few oddities to sort out, notably genres. It is taking around 3 seconds per channel to download and process the data on my Pi.

EMJB

Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3145 Location: Fleet, Hampshire (Hannington)
Nice work EMJB.

Do you have access to regional channels and is the extended data the same as we're used to with rt2mei? Will it be available to all of us, or just on an individually approved basis?

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 1TB with fan, Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScUUuWfZ
EMJB
Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:43 pm Reply with quote
andyfras wrote:
Nice work EMJB.

Do you have access to regional channels and is the extended data the same as we're used to with rt2mei? Will it be available to all of us, or just on an individually approved basis?

Yes, the data is regionalised - currently available channels seem to be:

Code:
102.2 Smooth Radio         4seven         5*         5*+1        5USA         5USA +1
95.8 Capital FM             Absolute 80s           Absolute Radio       Al Jazeera English
B4U Movies        BBC Alba         BBC Asian Network         BBC Four        BBC London
 94.9        BBC News Channel        BBC One various      BBC Parliament        BBC
 Radio 1 England         BBC Radio 1Xtra       BBC Radio 2         BBC Radio 3         BBC
 Radio 4 Extra        BBC Radio 4 FM         BBC Radio 4 LW         BBC Radio 5 live
BBC Radio 5 live sports extra        BBC Radio 6 Music         BBC Radio Cymru
BBC Radio Nan Gaidheal        BBC Radio Scotland FM         BBC Radio Ulster
BBC Radio Wales        BBC Red Button 1        BBC Three        BBC Two England
BBC Two HD       BBC Two Northern Ireland        BBC Two Scotland         BBC
 Wales          BBC World Service        BET:BlackEntTV        BET:BlackEntTV +1
Bid         Bliss        Bloomberg TV        CBBC         CBS Action        CBS Drama
CBS Reality        CBS Reality +1        CBeebies        CITV        CNBC UK
CNN         Challenge         Channel 4   Channel 4 +1                Channel 4 HD
Channel 5        Chart Show TV        Choice FM         Classic FM        Create and
Craft        E4        E4 +1        EuroNews         FRANCE 24 English         Film4
Film4 +1         Flava          Food Network        Food Network +1        Gems TV 
God TV      Gold        Heart London         Heat TV        Horror Channel
Horror Channel +1        ITV         ITV2         ITV2+1       ITV3         ITV3+1       
ITV4        ITV4+1        ITVHD         Ideal World        Investigation Discovery +1       
Jazz FM        Kerrang! TV        Kiss TV        Magic        More4        More4 +1
Movies4Men        Movies4Men +1       NHK World HD        Pick TV        Planet Rock
Pop        PopGirl        Price Drop        QVC        RT        RT HD        RTÃ 2FM
RTà Radio 1 FM      RTà Raidió na Gaeltachta        RTà lyric fm        S4C
Scuzz        Showcase        Sky News        Smash Hits!        Sony SAB
The Active Channel        The Box        Tiny Pop        Travel Channel
True Entertainment        True Movies        True Movies 2        Vintage TV
Viva        World Radio Network        Xfm        more>movies        talkSPORT

most of which can't be received with a terrestrial Toppy. There are afew obvious omissions from the list however (e.g. Yesterday), but these could be problems in my code for extracting the channel list from the Atlas data.

I haven't explicitly broached the subject of more general access, but my application implied I was developing a facility for general use by Topfield owners, and the terms to which I have agreed are centred round it not being a profit--making venture. It seemed sensible to make sure it is technically a goer before getting into licensing/access arguments.

EMJB

Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 13 Dec 2006 Posts: 1709 Location: Hitchin, HERTS Tx: Sandy Heath
EMJB wrote:
I haven't explicitly broached the subject of more general access,
I've just got access too.
It's possible that individual users will be expected to request individual access to the Press Association data.

Toppy: TF5800PVR/250 - Black, now 1TB WD10EURX
F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -FmVrXp+BmC0CbFsIPsUUuWfZXl,
Loader: C5.14, Hardware: 1.01
TAPs: SecCache (UK) v0.4; EPG2MEI v0.96; FontManager 1.0d; QuickJump 1.71; MhegOnOff(Now1) A3; EIT Sub v0.6; MyStuff 6.6
USB connected: SheevaPlug with Debian wheezy
Sig mostly from MyInfo on 26/10/09
EMJB
Posted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:51 am Reply with quote
I'm now managing to get 13 days' EPG data for all my channels except "Yesterday", with some useful extras such as the "new series" identifiers. MS 6.5 seems to be happy with it. There are still a few minor issues to resolve, but if anyone seriously wants to have a look at it can they please PM me with their email address, and with an undertaking to use it for evaluation purposes only.

EMJB

Posted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:54 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 2071 Location: E Yorkshire Belmont Transmitter
One thing that might temp me to set up a wireless link to the toppy using a Raspberry Pi,

would be if the word "repeat" was shown in the schedules??

ccsx
EMJB
Posted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:57 am Reply with quote
ccs wrote:
One thing that might temp me to set up a wireless link to the toppy using a Raspberry Pi,

would be if the word "repeat" was shown in the schedules??

Many moons ago I modified rt2mei to add "Rpt" to the programme names where relevant. Unfortunately EPG2MEI proceeds to undo this by always using the native EPG name rather than the rt2mei name - I did ask R2-D2 for an option to reverse this, but he declined. As a result, so I don't use EPG2MEI and the MyStuff features that depend on it in order to keep the "Rpt" indications which are so "SWMBO-friendly". "as2mei" will certainly include that option, but it will be useless to users of the current EPG2MEI.

EMJB

Posted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 16 Sep 2005 Posts: 592 Location: Yorkshire end of the M1
If you turn off the EPG2MEI functionality, don't you lose the chance for the Extend functionality to modify your timers in case of over-running programmes?

TAPs: MS 6.5 Suite, UK OZ Surfer
EMJB
Posted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:59 pm Reply with quote
YorkshireJumbo wrote:
If you turn off the EPG2MEI functionality, don't you lose the chance for the Extend functionality to modify your timers in case of over-running programmes?
Seems to work Ok for me - don't remember losing the end of a recording (other than when have to change channels to record something else) for years.

EMJB