Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Computer connections  ~  Need help connecting Toppy hard drive to PC

Page 1 of 1
Grand Dizzy
Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 09 Oct 2009 Posts: 68
Hi guys, I'm trying to connect the hard drive from an old Toppy (5800) to my PC (Win 7). I want to get the old recordings off it, but not having any luck.

I downloaded TFtools which seems to be the way you do it, but TFtools does not show the toppy drive on the list of drives. (I know the drive is definitely installed in my PC because I can see it with Partition Master.)

Not sure if this has anything to do with it, but when TFtools first loads I get the warning about TFTools not working unless you give it administrator privileges.

Possibly there is also a problem with the drive? The drive seems OK (no strange noises) but I remember whenever I tried to use Altair on that drive it would start copying then fail after a few minutes.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks Smile
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 3302 Location: Bristol ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ Windows XP, USB
I don't know tfTools but it probably won't see the disk if it doesn't have admin privilege (this allows it to do direct read/writes to an unmounted disk).

You probably need to use TopfHDRW

It will need admin privileges but that shouldn't cause any issues.

Failing after a few minutes when copying with Altair may have been an issue with funny characters in the file name (typically a colon ":" but there are others). If you use Antares, this automatically handles these funny characters.

I've also written a program (ToppyDiskMedic) that can process/repair the file structure and allows copying of files. I haven't released TDM (and may never do so) and just provide this as a "send it to me" service.

My advice is that you just try to copy recordings off with TopfHDRW; you can always get back to me if you find that TopfHDRW can't process your disk.

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; QuickJump 1.72; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EPG2MEI v0.96; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; WSSkiller V2.12d; (MyInfo B5.6); MyStuff 6.5; (fsSave 0.7); PruneEPG 1.0;
Sig generated by TopManager/PcControl on 26/03/15
™
Grand Dizzy
Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Smile Thank you Geoff, excellent information! I will try TopfHDRW, thank you. Smile

Geoff Bacon wrote:
I don't know tfTools but it probably won't see the disk if it doesn't have admin privilege (this allows it to do direct read/writes to an unmounted disk).

You probably need to use TopfHDRW

It will need admin privileges but that shouldn't cause any issues.

Failing after a few minutes when copying with Altair may have been an issue with funny characters in the file name (typically a colon ":" but there are others). If you use Antares, this automatically handles these funny characters.

I've also written a program (ToppyDiskMedic) that can process/repair the file structure and allows copying of files. I haven't released TDM (and may never do so) and just provide this as a "send it to me" service.

My advice is that you just try to copy recordings off with TopfHDRW; you can always get back to me if you find that TopfHDRW can't process your disk.

Geoff
Grand Dizzy
Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:25 am Reply with quote
Thank you Geoff! TopfHDRW worked perfectly, and it's lightning-fast! Excellent Smile
MKerton
Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Hi,

Can anyone point me to the TopfHDRW program? I want to transfer some files, but cannot find a link.

Thanks in advance

Michael
andyfras
Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3149 Location: Fleet, Hampshire (Hannington)
http://www.topfield.cc/files/Firebird/TopfHDRW_Setup.zip

Edit: The link doesn't seem to work now.

Last edited by andyfras on Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 1TB with fan, Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScUUuWfZ
ccs
Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 2074 Location: E Yorkshire Belmont Transmitter
...link doesn't work.

ccsx
Bizman
Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:32 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Apr 2010 Posts: 1172
You may have to use TFTool instead. It is available from http://www.kluesener99.de/tftool/index_en.html and I have checked that link (but not the download). Alternatively someone may have a copy of TopfHDRW as it is no longer supported and I couldn't find a TAP site that still has it.

PSU Caps 2/2011 Tx: Mendip. TV: Bush L322LED (22"), UPS, DVD-R: Panasonic DMR EH-50, STB: Labgear FV300. PC Acer Aspire One with Win7
andyfras
Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:10 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3149 Location: Fleet, Hampshire (Hannington)
TopfHDRW is now available for download from my website:

https://sites.google.com/site/andyfraserelectronics/freeview-and-satellite-recorder-repair/topfield-pvr-faults/TopfHDRW_Setup.zip

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 1TB with fan, Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScUUuWfZ
FireBird
Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 05 May 2005 Posts: 357 Location: Vienna/Austria
Because topfield.cc had been shut down, I had to move. The generic rule is that if you replace

http://www.topfield.cc/files/Firebird/...

with

http://tap.topfield-europe.com/firebird/...

you should have access to the old files again.
juwlz
Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:19 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10476 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
I've started a separate thread with that info, and I'll get somebody to sticky it.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
juwlz
Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:27 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10476 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
Here's the thread:
http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=265552#265552

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
FireBird
Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 05 May 2005 Posts: 357 Location: Vienna/Austria
Thanks, Julie. Smile