Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Computer connections  ~  QNAP Turbostation TS-109

Page 1 of 5
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
rogdog
Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 16 Nov 2005 Posts: 569 Location: North Lincs, UK
HOW TO INSTALL FTPD-TOPFIELD ON A QNAP TURBOSTATION TS-109

Here are instructions on how to get ftpd-topfield running on a QNAP TS-109 NAS storage box - this will allow you to connect to your Toppy over the network in much the same way as a slug but has many extra features.

The same instructions should also work with a TS-209

The reader should have a reasonable knowledge in windows command line mode, and knows the difference between windows and LINUX/UNIX .

If you brick your QNAP, it's your responsibility. You do this AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!

Many thanks to Bawbagg for providing the inspirational ftpd-topfield Linkstation Install Guide and the work he did with Kaiten providing the 'arm' compiled version of ftpd-topfield. Thanks also to Mark at work for his valuable Linux knowledge

INSTRUCTIONS

[EDIT]
I have now included a quicker setup procedure (Method 2) at the end of this post

METHOD 1

1. Download ftpd-topfield tarballl application
Download and save the file into the public folder on the Qnap

2. Telnet to QNAP

Make sure that telnet is enabled under the QNAP Administration\System Tools\Remote Login web page.

Login to telnet with the following command and enter your user QNAP administrator username and password when prompted

Code:
telnet <QNAP ip address> 13131

(replace <QNAP ip address> with the ip address of your QNAP device)

Once connected, you are in the Linux environment of the the QNAP. You are also connected as root (IE superuser). DON'T do anything you shouldn't!!!

Now we need to issue the commands to unpack the file we downloaded (tarballs). Assuming you saved in the default share folder (ie \\<QNAP ip address>\Public,

then type the following into the telnet session:

Code:
tar -C / -xzvf /share/Public/ftpd-topfield-0.7.4_arm9.tar.gz

You should see something like the following:

Code:
[/] # tar -C / -xzvf /share/Public/ftpd-topfield-0.7.4_arm9.tar.gz
./usr/share/man/man8/ftpd-topfield.8
./usr/sbin/
./usr/sbin/ftpd-topfield
[/] #

3. Start ftpd-topfield
We are now ready to start ftpd-topfield. Enter

Code:
/usr/sbin/ftpd-topfield -D -P 2021

(where 2021 = Toppy ftp server port number.)

You can check to see if it is running OK by entering
Code:
ps

It should be near the end of the list. If you can't see it, you can do
Code:
ps | grep topfield

and you'll only list processes with topfield in the name.

You should now be able to connect to your Toppy from your favorite ftp client - remember to turn off multiple connections as the ftpd-topfield daemon can

only handle 1 connection at a time from a client. You should use the IP address of the Linkstation, and port 2021. Username is "anonymous", and password is anything you fancy.

4. Make ftpd-topfield start on boot

Enter the following commands

Code:
mount /dev/mtdblock5 -t ext2 /tmp/config
cd /tmp/config
cp autorun.sh autorun_old.sh
echo "/usr/sbin/ftpd-topfield -D -P 2021" >> autorun.sh
chmod 755 autorun.sh
cd /root
umount /dev/mtdblock5

All done, Reboot QNAP ftp to Toppy

-------------------------------------

METHOD 2

1. Download ftpd-topfield tarballl application
Download and save the file into the public folder on the Qnap

2. Telnet to QNAP

Make sure that telnet is enabled under the QNAP Administration\System Tools\Remote Login web page.

Login to telnet with the following command and enter your user QNAP administrator username and password when prompted

Code:
telnet <QNAP ip address> 13131

(replace <QNAP ip address> with the ip address of your QNAP device)

Once connected, you are in the Linux environment of the the QNAP. You are also connected as root (IE superuser). DON'T do anything you shouldn't!!!

3. Run commands

Copy then Paste the following into the telnet session:

Code:
tar -C / -xzvf /share/Public/ftpd-topfield-0.7.4_arm9.tar.gz
mount /dev/mtdblock5 -t ext2 /tmp/config
cd /tmp/config
cp autorun.sh autorun_old.sh
echo "/usr/sbin/ftpd-topfield -D -P 2021" >> autorun.sh
chmod 755 autorun.sh
cd /root
umount /dev/mtdblock5

(where 2021 = Toppy ftp server port number.)

All done, Reboot QNAP ftp to Toppy

FIRMWARE UPDATES
If you decide to update the QNAP firmware at anytime then you will need to re-run steps 2 and 3

-------------------------------------

GREAT!!!! All working. If not, sorry - please post here and we'll try to fix and I will update my instructions to suit

RogDog

Last edited by rogdog on Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:21 am; edited 9 times in total

glenmcfar
Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 07 Dec 2006 Posts: 4519 Location: Dundonald, Ayrshire, Scotland
Good work, but that box is EXPENSIVE!!!!!

Glen.

rogdog
Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:32 pm Reply with quote
It isn't the cheapest NAS box on the market and I wouldn't suggest that someone should purchase it soley for networking the Toppy. They would be bonkers !!

What I wanted was a feature rich NAS box for home, The fact that I could connect it to the Toppy was an added bonus.

My requirements were

Low powered (environmentaly friendly)
Very quiet (as it would be placed in the living room behind the Toppy)
Linux/Unix based
Easily hackable (allowing ftpd-topfield software to be installed)
Feature rich
User friendly interface
good support from manufaturer and community
multimedia server
download manager
raid backup server
web server
database server

After looking around I came up with the following three options

1) QNAP Turbostation TS-109
2) Synology DS107
3) Linkstation Live

The QNAP and Synology are very simillar in spec but the QNAP's fanless design gave it the edge. It also looks nicer. THE QNAP is very quiet with the only noise being the Hard drive.

The Linkstation Live is much cheaper than the QNAP or Synology but doesn't come with Lots of software pre-installed. I didn't have the time and Linux knowledge to set up everything I needed on a Linkstation so I opted for the QNAP TS-109

DougF
Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:19 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 10 Nov 2006 Posts: 58 Location: Great Missenden
Thinking about getting a NAS to link to my laptop and PS3.

I don't know much (anything?) about them though, so some noob questions:

I assume that the NAS can be attached directly to a wireless router and accessed by any 'computer' attached to it - i.e. PC, PS3 (and also Toppy - but this sounds beyond me!). Is that right?

Options under consideration are:

Buffalo Linkstation Live - although read that with the PS3 it continously reads / writes which knackers the hard drive quickly.

QNAP TS-109 - Tempted by this due to its claimed PS3 compatility but would like to hear any views on how true this is. But it is pricey.

or Seagate Maxtor Shared Storage II

Any opinions (or preferably experience) greatly appreciated.

rogdog
Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:18 am Reply with quote
DougF wrote:
I assume that the NAS can be attached directly to a wireless router and accessed by any 'computer' attached to it - i.e. PC, PS3 (and also Toppy - but this sounds beyond me!). Is that right?

Yes, that is exactly how I have mine connected. I have the QNAP behind the TV in the living room and a network work cable running across to my ADSL wireless router. I can then connect to my NAS box using wireless via my router

PS3 compatability: Sorry, I can't comment an whether it works better with certain NAS boxes as I don't have one.

The QNAP is more expensive but offers many features that you may (or may not) want that aren't included in some of the more basic NAS boxes (although most can be hacked to run additional Linux apps) . QNAP also seem to have good support and are releasing regular firmware updates to enhance or resolve compatibility issues.

Bawbagg
Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:58 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 11 Aug 2005 Posts: 1122
DougF wrote:
Buffalo Linkstation Live - although read that with the PS3 it continously reads / writes which knackers the hard drive quickly.
I have a Linkstation Live.

There is a problem with the built in pcast server, that (I think) causes these problems. However, as rogdog says, it is very easy to hack, and replace the pcast server with a better one (for example: twonky, wizd or firefly). I said "I think" because I quickly replace the built in server on my LS Live with firefly as it had far superior features to the built in one.

In reality, any of the NAS boxes you mention would be suitable for the job, it just depends on how much configuration you are prepared to do to get it working for yourself. Pretty much all the knowledge you need is available on the web - you just need to do plenty of research before deciding which is right for you.

BB

DougF
Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 10 Nov 2006 Posts: 58 Location: Great Missenden
Thanks very much for the replies. Still umming and ahhing about this though, so more thoughts welcome!

Don't mind doing a little bit of fiddling but my capabilities in this area are nowhere near yours!

rogdog
Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:14 pm Reply with quote
If you don't mind doing a bit of fiddling and you decide to go for either the linkstation live or QNAP then I am sure that either Bawbagg or myself would be more than willing to help you out if or when you get stuck.

And don't worry about the instructions for installing ftpd-topfield. It really is a fairly straightforward task (honest Wink ).

Bawbagg
Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:15 pm Reply with quote
rogdog wrote:
If you don't mind doing a bit of fiddling and you decide to go for either the linkstation live or QNAP then I am sure that either Bawbagg or myself would be more than willing to help you out if or when you get stuck.

And don't worry about the instructions for installing ftpd-topfield. It really is a fairly straightforward task (honest Wink ).
I also have a slug - and it was *much* easier to get ftpd-topfield running on LS or Qnap (and Maxtor SSII probably too), than it was for me on the slug. All this unslinging to here and there and whatnot.

Problem with the LS/Qnap/SSII is that they are a touch pricier than a slug, but certainly more feature rich. If you're in the market for a NAS then it's definitely worth the money.

I also notice you are a MyStuff user - with the imminent release of the next version of MyStuff, an FTP connection to your toppy is going to get a whole lot more interesting with the new MyStuff API - something me and rogdog know a thing or 2 about Wink Wink Wink . Also remember that you could use your NAS to do the rt2mei thing for you, and get the full 14 day RadioTimes EPG on your Toppy. Very nice indeed.

Remember that linux is a community as well as an OS - there are lots of very good forums with many folks helping to write howtos and answering questions from noobs.

BB

Kettu69
Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:02 am Reply with quote
the port? I would need to change for different port, that I can use this from my job. Could you give step-by-step instructions, how can I change tftp for different port, please?
Bawbagg
Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:45 am Reply with quote
Kettu69 wrote:
the port? I would need to change for different port, that I can use this from my job. Could you give step-by-step instructions, how can I change tftp for different port, please?
Simply change the number after -P in the command line for the port you would like to use.

For example, in the above example:
Code:
/usr/sbin/ftpd-topfield -D -P 2021
starts ftpd-topfield on port 2021. Simply change 2021 to whatever port you want.

BB

rogdog
Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:46 am Reply with quote
There are 2 ports in question

Telnet : default port 13131
This can easily be changed from the QNAP administration page

Toppy FTP : default port 2021

This can easily be changed by changing the '2021' in the following line in my instructions

Code:
usr/sbin/ftpd-topfield -D -P 2021

If you want to use the standard ftp port 21 for the Toppy ftp server then you would need to disable or change the QNAP ftp server port in the administration page so that it doesn't conflict with the Toppy

You also need to be careful if you are going to open up the Toppy FTP port so that you can access it from work. As far as I know ftpd-topfield only accepts anonymous logins and can't be setup with a secure usename and password. It also only allows a max of one open connection.

[EDIT] pipped to the post by Bawbagg Laughing

andylaurence
Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:08 pm Reply with quote
I've just ordered my TS-109 Pro. I didn't realise I could hook up my Toppy to it too! Is there any way I could use the TS-109 to serve files via UPnP? I'm going to get a UPnP HD media player (not decided what yet) and I'd like to be able to play my Toppy recordings on it.

At this point, I'm starting to be very glad I flood wired CAT5 round the house. I'm already sending video from Toppy to all my TVs over CAT5 but I can only watch one thing at a time. If I could extract my recordings to my TS-109 on a scheduled basis, I could watch them from that, even using my Nokia N95. This is looking like a dream. Must get sleep!

Cheers,
Andy
rogdog
Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:10 am Reply with quote
I can't check at the moment, but the QNAP might have a FTP backup tool which you could use to copy files from the Toppy on a daily basis. If it hasn't you would have to install some kind of Linux script and schedule it. (I am not an expert in Linux so you would have to request help elsewhere for this )

The problem you have is that Toppy files are non standard '.rec' file (.ts files with a Toppy header). I am not sure if the Twonky uPNP server (or any uPNP server) built into the QNAP will support these files. Also you would need a uPNP player capable of decoding the .rec files.

If this was not possible you would have to convert the files from .rec to .ts or from .ts to .mpg. I am not even sure if anyone has written a .ts file convertor to run on Linux so would may have to perform this on a Windows PC then trasnfer the files to the QNAP.

I am not saying it can't be done but it might be a challenge.

Bawbagg
Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:16 pm Reply with quote
rogdog wrote:
I am not saying it can't be done but it might be a challenge.
Nahh... it's a piece of cake.

You could set up a cron job to grab files in a certain folder on your toppy (either by puppy or ftp).

R2-D2 has a simple php script that rewrites the header from .rec to .ts - it completes in a few moments on a slug. Any media streamer worth its salt should handle a .ts file.