Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Computer connections  ~  Transferring directories from Toppy to Linux (Ubuntu)

Page 1 of 4
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Jeddy
Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 23 Dec 2008 Posts: 117
Hi,
Can someone assist pls. I'm trying to get into Ubuntu however I'm having problems working out how to transfer folders from my Toppy to my PC - for backup purposes.
I managed to get Guppy working, but that only appears to support .rec files and not folders.
I've tried installing puppy and can see the toppy
lsusb | grep -i Topfield
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 11db:1000 Topfield Co., Ltd. PVR
however I also get
sudo puppy -c dir
ERROR: Can not perform autodetection.
ERROR: /proc/bus/usb/devices can not be open for reading.
ERROR: No such file or directory

I've read http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-307216.html
however that is quite old now and references
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=3580402&postcount=20
which also references
i.e. you need to uncomment the following lines in
/etc/init.d/mountdevsubfs.sh
but I don't have a file of that name in that directory.

I don't mind using filezilla as an alternative however don't know what to connect to ip address, userid, password, port.

I've also seen references to Top manager working under Wine, but that it doesn't connect so I've not tried that.

Any suggestions please.

Thanks,
Jeddy

birdman
Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 13 Dec 2006 Posts: 1651 Location: Hitchin, HERTS Tx: Sandy Heath
Jeddy wrote:
Hi,
Can someone assist pls. I'm trying to get into Ubuntu however I'm having problems working out how to transfer folders from my Toppy to my PC - for backup purposes.
Install ftpd-topfield then use, e.g., wget or curl to download recursively using an ftp uri.
Not sure I'd recommend "backups" though - it takes a (relatively) long time to transfer a file.

Toppy: TF5800PVR/250 - Black, now 1TB WD10EURX
F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -FmVrXp+BmC0CbFsIPsUUuWfZXl,
Loader: C5.14, Hardware: 1.01
TAPs: SecCache (UK) v0.4; EPG2MEI v0.96; FontManager 1.0d; QuickJump 1.71; MhegOnOff(Now1) A3; EIT Sub v0.6; MyStuff 6.5
USB connected: SheevaPlug with Debian wheezy
Sig mostly from MyInfo on 26/10/09
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Jan 2007 Posts: 2980 Location: Bristol ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ Windows XP, USB
Once you have got basic connectivity with the toppy working, please try TopManager to see if it works for you (your system may be configured differently from that previously reported).

Please let me know how you get on.

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; QuickJump 1.72; MyInfo B5.6; Font Manager 1.0d; EPG2MEI v0.96; CrashTrace v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; Extend v1.7; WSSkiller V2.12d; SecCache (UK) v0.4; MyStuff 6.5;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 6/9/13
™
juwlz
Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:14 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10329 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
birdman wrote:
Install ftpd-topfield then use, e.g., wget or curl to download recursively using an ftp uri.
Or once you've got ftpd-topfield installed, you can use Filezilla if you prefer a drag and drop GUI.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
matpol
Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:04 am Reply with quote
I use lftp on ubuntu to mirror the toppy everynight. Once you have the initial copy it probably takes a couple of hours to keep uptodate.
Jeddy
Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:32 am Reply with quote
Geoff Bacon wrote:
Once you have got basic connectivity with the toppy working, please try TopManager to see if it works for you (your system may be configured differently from that previously reported).

Please let me know how you get on.

Geoff

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I should perhaps clarify that when I say backups, I only mean the Program Files directory, so only the toppy settings etc. I'm not backing up all my recordings. It normally only takes a minute or so under Windows with Altair etc.

Anyway, I've installed TopManager under wine.
Trying to access via FTP results in a msg that it may take 15 - 20 secs
eventually followed by a msg that it failed to connect to the server.

Trying to connect via USB gives
Attempting to open USB connection using XP.DLL
Error: Unable to connect to receiver. Timeout reached.
Attempting to open USB connection using Vista.DLL
Attempting to open USB connection using tfWinUsb.DLL
Failed to establish USB connection to Toppy using any of the drivers
<<< Connection failed
TopManager has not detected any programs that would prevent use e.g. Altair
<<< Check Toppy is switched on and cable is connected

So no real joy using TopManager.

I don't suppose there is a .deb package for ftpd-topfield is there?

I found http://www.toppy.org.uk/downloads/info.php?tid=199 however the link from that is broken.

http://www.tapworld.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=321:ftpd-topfield-069&catid=20:computer-software&Itemid=41 downloads what
I can only imagine is source?
If so then I guess this will be my first foray into compiling source in ubuntu. (Give me MVS / z/OS any day, I know what I'm doing there and could easily write some JCL to compile / link-edit a program!)

Thanks all,
Jeddy

Geoff Bacon
Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:39 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Jan 2007 Posts: 2980 Location: Bristol ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ Windows XP, USB
Hi, I didn't expect TopManager to work straight away - I suggested running it "Once you have got basic connectivity with the toppy working"

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; QuickJump 1.72; MyInfo B5.6; Font Manager 1.0d; EPG2MEI v0.96; CrashTrace v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; Extend v1.7; WSSkiller V2.12d; SecCache (UK) v0.4; MyStuff 6.5;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 6/9/13
™
underquark
Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:26 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Oct 2005 Posts: 1776
Are you able to successfully use USB with any other programs running under WINE? If not, then it's a WINE problem and there's a WINE Wiki here.

I use ubuntu on a desktop but not to access my Topppy and, I suspect, it's an older version of the one that you're using. I also only ever access USB from Win programs by running WinXP in VirtualBox (it's necessary to get my ancient scanner working and I like to use VideReDo).

5xTF5800PVR - 1 organ-donor, 1 for experimenting on, 2 x 250Gb and 1 x 500Gb (Seagate ST3500630A, no fan), one Toppy with UPS and dedicated aerial; MyStuff 6.3; QuickJump 1.72; EPG2 MEI; MEISearch 1.37; Various remotes - URC8820 (my fav.), URC8910 (for SWMBO), URC7562 (to learn new codes) programmed using tools from the excellent JP1 site.
Jeddy
Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:31 pm Reply with quote
thanks for the extra info. Fixing wine is currently beyond my ability, as I say, I'm new to Ubuntu. I guess I need to try to get ftpd-topfield compiled. Slightly frustrating that an ubuntu compile guide I found said follow the instructions in the readme supplied with the source to compile it - but the source for ftpd-topfield seems to relate more to the use than how to compile it. I guess I'm supposed to know how to do this already (I don't even know what language its written in or what packages I need to install to compile it). Maybe this isn't the right thing to start learning about compiling with.
Jeddy

AllanG
Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 15 May 2005 Posts: 459 Location: Glasgow, Scotland
Jeddy wrote:
thanks for the extra info. Fixing wine is currently beyond my ability, as I say, I'm new to Ubuntu. I guess I need to try to get ftpd-topfield compiled. Slightly frustrating that an ubuntu compile guide I found said follow the instructions in the readme supplied with the source to compile it - but the source for ftpd-topfield seems to relate more to the use than how to compile it. I guess I'm supposed to know how to do this already (I don't even know what language its written in or what packages I need to install to compile it). Maybe this isn't the right thing to start learning about compiling with.
Jeddy

Compiling it isn't as daunting as it sounds.

First off, type the following command:-
Code:
sudo apt-get install build-essential
(or, if you're using a package manager, find the "build-essential" package and install it that way.)

That'll install pretty much everything you need to compile any software from the source code.

I'm assuming that, since you've read the "README" file in the source code that you've already extracted it to its own directory. "cd" to that directory and type
Code:
sudo make
You'll see the compilation process scroll past and, assuming you don't get any errors then all you need to do after it's completed is type
Code:
sudo make install

If you do get any errors at the "make" stage then it'll probably relate to something that's missing from your system. Don't panic - everything you need will be available from the Ubuntu repository. If you do get errors then post them here and I'm sure someone will be able to help.

Once you've got ftpd-topfield installed then there's a neat script available here that'll set it up to run at startup

Sig generated by MyInfo on 24/12/10
underquark
Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Oct 2005 Posts: 1776
Correct link for the script is this (file suffix is html as opposed to just htm).

5xTF5800PVR - 1 organ-donor, 1 for experimenting on, 2 x 250Gb and 1 x 500Gb (Seagate ST3500630A, no fan), one Toppy with UPS and dedicated aerial; MyStuff 6.3; QuickJump 1.72; EPG2 MEI; MEISearch 1.37; Various remotes - URC8820 (my fav.), URC8910 (for SWMBO), URC7562 (to learn new codes) programmed using tools from the excellent JP1 site.
Jeddy
Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:49 pm Reply with quote
hey, nice one Allan! I wasn't expecting that, but it's so much appreciated. As you say, not as daunting as I thought (but I reserve the right to change my mind when I've tried it out . Wink
I'd been reading all about various compile options and needing to know what to set them to etc. I was getting rather alarmed.
Cheers!
Jeddy

birdman
Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:15 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 13 Dec 2006 Posts: 1651 Location: Hitchin, HERTS Tx: Sandy Heath
Jeddy wrote:
I should perhaps clarify that when I say backups, I only mean the Program Files directory, so only the toppy settings etc. I'm not backing up all my recordings. It normally only takes a minute or so under Windows with Altair etc.

I take a rolling 5-day backup of a MyStuff directory (as a file disappeared a few times - of course it has all been fine since I started the backups).
This is the script that does it (I have ftpd-topfield running on port 5800 on a system called plug) - just alter the paths to handle somewhere else
Code:
#!/bin/sh
#
cd /local/RadioTimes || exit

# We'll also fetch a copy of the Settings/MyStuff files...
# ...since MyStuff_Searches.dat has been known to disappear....
#
mkdir -p Settings
(cd Settings || exit 1
 rm -rf MyStuff.4
 [ -d MyStuff.3 ] && mv MyStuff.3 MyStuff.4
 [ -d MyStuff.2 ] && mv MyStuff.2 MyStuff.3
 [ -d MyStuff.1 ] && mv MyStuff.1 MyStuff.2
 [ -d MyStuff ]   && mv MyStuff   MyStuff.1
 mkdir MyStuff
 cd MyStuff || exit 2
 wget -nv -r -l 1 -nd ftp://plug:5800/ProgramFiles/Settings/MyStuff/
)

Toppy: TF5800PVR/250 - Black, now 1TB WD10EURX
F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -FmVrXp+BmC0CbFsIPsUUuWfZXl,
Loader: C5.14, Hardware: 1.01
TAPs: SecCache (UK) v0.4; EPG2MEI v0.96; FontManager 1.0d; QuickJump 1.71; MhegOnOff(Now1) A3; EIT Sub v0.6; MyStuff 6.5
USB connected: SheevaPlug with Debian wheezy
Sig mostly from MyInfo on 26/10/09
Jeddy
Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Well I believe I've compiled ftpd-topfield correctly - a few warning msgs during the make process but the make install looked ok

install -d /usr/sbin /usr/share/man/man8
install ftpd /usr/sbin/ftpd-topfield
install -m644 ftpd.8 /usr/share/man/man8/ftpd-topfield.8

I changed back to my home directory and then
ftpd-topfield
but nothing. I also tried that with sudo and still nothing.
Then I remembered the readme,
which suggested
ftpd -D -P 2021
which gives
The program 'ftpd' can be found in the following packages:
* inetutils-ftpd
* krb5-ftpd
* muddleftpd
Try: sudo apt-get install <selected package>

So I'm afraid the next dumb question is how do I use ftpd-topefield? (I don't really want to use the script until I know it's working).
Then once it is working - what do I connect to with filezilla - user / password / URL:port?

Thanks again!
Jeddy

AllanG
Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 15 May 2005 Posts: 459 Location: Glasgow, Scotland
Jeddy wrote:

So I'm afraid the next dumb question is how do I use ftpd-topefield? (I don't really want to use the script until I know it's working).
Then once it is working - what do I connect to with filezilla - user / password / URL:port?

Thanks again!
Jeddy

When you've compiled it and run the "make install" command, you'll find the program in /usr/sbin. Check that it's there by typing

Code:
which ftpd-topfield

If you see the expected response, then the command to run it is
Code:
ftpd-topfield -D -P 2021
You may or may not need to use "sudo" in front of that command - try it both ways if necessary.

To check that it's running, type

Code:
ps -A | grep topfield
You should see something like
Code:
2203  ?      00:00:00    ftpd-topfield
(That first number can be anything - it's just the process ID and means nothing in particular.)

Assuming it's up and running connect to "localhost", port 2021 and use anything you like as a username and password (the program doesn't care what you use but Filezilla might insist on something being put in the log on details).[/code]

Sig generated by MyInfo on 24/12/10