Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Computer connections  ~  Help Needed - ftpd-topfield compiling for VTEN

Page 1 of 1
chunkywizard
Posted: Tue May 19, 2015 8:47 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 13 May 2005 Posts: 9321 Location: Sindlesham, Berkshire Tx: Hannington
Hi there,

any Linux guru still around to help me get my remote connect to my Toppy back?

In 2009 I bought a PopcornHour and used it for remote connection to my Toppy. I had great fun setting it up (read I really struggled) but then it worked for 6 years until the PCH no longer booted one day earlier this year. See http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=180687#180687 for the setup process.

Now I have a new PCH, the VTEN. This is ARM based (rather than Sigma) so I guess I need another version of ftpd-topfield to use on it. Does anyone have an ARM version and also have the patience to walk me through the process of getting it up and running?

Any help gratefully received. If I get it working again it might mean I can actually test MyStuff Installer upgrades before publishing!

Regards

CW

EMJB
Posted: Tue May 19, 2015 8:56 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 08 Jul 2005 Posts: 3494 Location: Maldon Essex
There are several versions of the ARM processor, but you could try the version I use for my Pi (http://birdman.dynalias.org/cgi-bin/tdl.cgi/armv5tel/ftpd-new_dev_scan-static) if Birdman doesn't come along with a better suggestion.

EMJB

Posted: Tue May 19, 2015 9:00 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 13 May 2005 Posts: 9321 Location: Sindlesham, Berkshire Tx: Hannington
Thanks EMJB. VTEN is Cortex A9 based http://www.cloudmedia.com/products/popcornhour/vten. Hopefully birdman can help out!

Cheers

CW

birdman
Posted: Wed May 20, 2015 12:29 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 13 Dec 2006 Posts: 1720 Location: Hitchin, HERTS Tx: Sandy Heath
EMJB wrote:
There are several versions of the ARM processor, but you could try the version I use for my Pi (http://birdman.dynalias.org/cgi-bin/tdl.cgi/armv5tel/ftpd-new_dev_scan-static) if Birdman doesn't come along with a better suggestion.
The best suggestion I have is to try the armv5tel one on http://birdman.dynalias.org/Toppy/R2-D2/ (i.e. the link above), bearing in mind the comment about the loader on that second link, and see whether it works.
If not, I can try another build for you.

Toppy: TF5800PVR/250 - Black, now 1TB WD10EURX
F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -FmVrXp+BmC0CbFsIPsUUuWfZXl,
Loader: C5.14, Hardware: 1.01
TAPs: SecCache (UK) v0.4; EPG2MEI v0.96; FontManager 1.0d; QuickJump 1.71; MhegOnOff(Now1) A3; EIT Sub v0.6; MyStuff 6.6
USB connected: SheevaPlug with Debian wheezy
Sig mostly from MyInfo on 26/10/09
chunkywizard
Posted: Thu May 21, 2015 9:23 am Reply with quote
Hi birdman,

thanks for coming back. Only one problem - I really don't understand that link you sent! If you could provide a bit more help, that would be great.

So, I can use PuTTY (just about), and can connect to some of the linux boxes I own (Wandboard running Squeezebox Server/ Router), but I can't connect to the PCH. I'm guess this is because it's missing some packages like SSH. What's the best way to gain access to the command line so I can install what's needed?

After that hurdle then I kind of understand some of the post. I am not sure of how to check if I have libusb and what version it is (when I have command line access)

I also don't really understand the run-time loader bit, but I guess I need command line access to start with before I can try your example.

Any help appreciated

CW

Darucla
Posted: Thu May 21, 2015 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Jun 2007 Posts: 1490 Location: Norwich
The VTen doesn't necessarily have the same built-in stuff as the other PCH boxes. ISTR some stuff about how to telnet or SSH to a VTen on the NMT forum.
chunkywizard
Posted: Thu May 21, 2015 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Thanks Darucla, i'll have a google and see what pops up.

CW

birdman
Posted: Fri May 22, 2015 12:48 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 13 Dec 2006 Posts: 1720 Location: Hitchin, HERTS Tx: Sandy Heath
chunkywizard wrote:
After that hurdle then I kind of understand some of the post. I am not sure of how to check if I have libusb and what version it is (when I have command line access)
You don't need libusb if you install the statically linked versions (which is why I built them).
and also wrote:
I also don't really understand the run-time loader bit, but I guess I need command line access to start with before I can try your example.
In order to start up a dynamically linked executable (and libc will be dynamically linked) you need a run-time linker, and its name is hard-wired into the executable.
The system I built these on had ld-linux.so.3, so if your system has something else you just need to create a symlink to it under that name.
Or I could rebuild on another system (a Raspberry Pi Model2), which will use ld-linux-armhf.so.3, and that is more likely to be what is on the VTen.

But, as you say, you first need to get command-line access to it.

TAPs: SecCache (UK) v0.4; EPG2MEI v0.96; FontManager 1.0d; QuickJump 1.71; MhegOnOff(Now1) A3; EIT Sub v0.6; MyStuff 6.6
birdman
Posted: Fri May 22, 2015 1:27 am Reply with quote
Darucla wrote:
The VTen doesn't necessarily have the same built-in stuff as the other PCH boxes. ISTR some stuff about how to telnet or SSH to a VTen on the NMT forum.
It's Android-based? That might present a few obstacles....

chunkywizard
Posted: Fri May 22, 2015 8:38 am Reply with quote
Hi birdman,

see here: http://www.networkedmediatank.com/showthread.php?tid=72495&pid=663197#pid663197

sounds like I can get telnet access but sounds like the app needs to be recompiled. What do you suggest is the best way forward here? Shall I ask Vadaysir to compile a version for VTen?

CW

birdman
Posted: Fri May 22, 2015 11:27 am Reply with quote
chunkywizard wrote:
Shall I ask Vadaysir to compile a version for VTen?
Shouldn't be needed. He's just set up a toolchain to do ARM compilations on an x86 system. I've got an ARM system (well, two - and both are emulated within VirtualBox as well) that I can compile on directly.

And if it's not Android based, but just "bare" Linux, then there should be no problems.

EMJB
Posted: Fri May 22, 2015 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 08 Jul 2005 Posts: 3494 Location: Maldon Essex
@birdman
With regards to compiling for Pi2, the Pi1 version seemed to work on my Pi2 when I gave it a quick try the other day, but not sure if that is relevant to this discussion!

EMJB

Posted: Sat May 23, 2015 6:33 pm Reply with quote
EMJB wrote:
With regards to compiling for Pi2, the Pi1 version seemed to work on my Pi2 when I gave it a quick try the other day, but not sure if that is relevant to this discussion!
That's what I'd expect. The downloadable one on my web site was actually compiled on a ARMv5 system (no floating point unit) but runs on a Raspi2, once you add the run-time loader link.