Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Computer connections  ~  TopManager V5.0

Page 34 of 36
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35, 36  Next
jw
Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:47 pm Reply with quote
I deleted _RecoveryPoint.txt and this seemed to break out of the loop as TopManager did not go straight to the channel management page. I also checked tap boot order in TapCommander and PcControl is top of the list.

Therefore, I tried to retune the Toppy again to check that everything was OK. The Toppy did not crash this time but after clicking Finalize Files the error message "List index out of bounds (-1)" reappeared, so back into the loop again.

Shortly after this, a Version Mismatch message appeared from TopManager stating "PcControl tap needs to be updated (it is using protocol version 13, expected version 15 or higher)". Therefore, I closed TopManager, deleted _RecoveryPoint.txt again, restarted TopManager and used Tools/Install Files/PcControl to install the latest version. I then closed the connection to the Toppy, rebooted it, reconnected and performed the tuning scan again. For some reason there seemed to be a problem picking up the channels on 2 of the multiplexes (49 & 57) during this scan, but it completed eventually. Sad to say the error message still appeared after clicking Finalize Files.

So I can still not get a retune to complete successfully from TopManager. Are ther any other settings files or directories I should try deleting, either on the PC or on the Toppy, to cure this problem? Or do you have any other suggestions for how I might resolve it?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Geoff Bacon
Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 3960
Don't know really,

Suggest you try Tools| Check MyStuff to see if that shows anything

I'm wondering if you have an empty favourites file; use PcControl| Edit Favourites to view each file (or use Connection| Browse and double click on each .mcl file in \ProgramFiles|Settings\MyStuff\FavLists).

You could try doing the tune with the latest version of Channel Organiser and then doing the Check/Files in TM (if that doesn't work, it implies it is something in the Check Files logic rather than a problem with the list of channels).

If it happens again, can you paste what is showing in the bottom pane (CtrlA, CtrlC, paste into thread and CtrlV)

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; EPG2MEI v0.96; QuickJump 1.72; MyStuff 6.6; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3; MyInfo B5.6; WSSkiller V2.12d; CrashTrace v0.4; fsSave 1.1; PruneEPG 1.0;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 17/1/16
jw
Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Tools|Check My Stuff appeare fine to me. Here is the output

Quote:
MyStuff 6.6 runs automatically at startup. Settings are:-
T1: EPG Source Filename=EPG.mei
K1: Pad Timers at Start (minutes)=2
K2: Pad Timers at End (minutes)=4
Y1: PowerOff Handler=Internal

Recordings are automatically being extended by Extend.tap
Prepad =2
Postpad =4

The padding values in MyStuff.dat and Extend.ini are consistent

Programme Guide information is provided by EPG2MEI.tap (installed)

MyStuff required patches are present (AbCpDeMhOtReRhSl)

No errors detected in MyStuff favourite files

PcControl|Edit Favourites showed 4 .mcl files, All 4s, All 5s, All BBCs and All ITVs, none of which were empty. However, looking at these files in Connection|Browse showed that All BBCs and All ITVs were dated 18/12/14 whereas All 4s and All 5s were dated 05/06/13. Copies of these files on the PC in gbacon\TopManager\PcControl showed the same dates. Would I be right in thinking that this indicate where the process is failing (i.e. TopManager successfully writes new versions of All BBCs and All ITVs but then generates an error before writing either the All 4s or All 5s file)?

With regard to ChannelOrganiser, I checked the details of my current version using Show Header from the right click menu of Connection|Browse, then reinstalled from Tools|Install Files and rechecked the details of the new file. These were identical, indicating that I already had the latest version installed. This being the case, I did not bother trying a retune.

Finally, I was not absolutely sure what you meant by "... doing the Check/Files in TM" but guessed you were referring to the Check/Update Files button on the channel management page. So I clicked this and "Finalization Completed" appeared in the lower pane and my old friend the error message dialog box "List index out of bounds (-1)" popped up, exactly as it does after Finalize Files following a retune. However, in this case no _RecoveryPoint.txt file is generated, so this is the obvious way of testing whether the problem has been solved.

If the date discrepancy does indicate a problem with one or more of the Favourrites files, am I safe to just delete them? Or am I jumping to the wrong conclusion?

Thanks once again for all your help.

Geoff Bacon
Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:58 pm Reply with quote
@jw

The Tools| Check MyStuff shows no problems (although you have changed the postpad from 6 to 4; the default value is usually best but if it works for you go with it).

The dates of the .mcl files do not need to be the same (TM only updates the file if changes are necessary).

To test whether or not the All 4s and 5s are the problem, you could rename the .mcl files to .lcm and try again (rename back after trying).

TM does a lot of operations when it Finalizes so it could be any of them that is generating the message.

It checks/updates, if they exist, in the following order:-
1) all MyStuff Favourites
2) Extend.ini
3) EPG2MEI.ini
4) TF5000Display.chn
5) the \ProgramFiles\*.mei files (excluding EPG_diff.mei)

You could check the dates on 2 and 3, if they are new then it got past the favourites.

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; EPG2MEI v0.96; QuickJump 1.72; MyStuff 6.6; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3; MyInfo B5.6; WSSkiller V2.12d; CrashTrace v0.4; fsSave 1.1; PruneEPG 1.0;
jw
Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:16 am Reply with quote
Renaming All 4s and All 5s.mcl and clicking Check/Update Files resulted in the same error message appearing, so clearly I had jumped to the wrong conclusion about the different file dates.

With regard to the dates of the other files you mentioned...
Program Files/Settings/Extend.ini 03/06/14
Program Files/Settings/EPG2MEI.ini 01/01/03
TF5000Display.chn - I could not find this file
ProgramFiles/EPG.mei (the only matching file) 22/12/14

The date for EPG2MEI.ini looked like some sort of default rather than a genuine file date, especially as the file time was 00:00 and size 0kB. Therefore, I wondered if this might be the problem, especially as I found another copy of the file in Program Files/Settings/MyStuff/OldCopy dated 03/06/14 with size 1kB. Should I try replacing the 0kB file with the 1kB file, or try rewriting EPG2MEI.ini somehow on the Toppy, or am I jumping to conclusions again?

I was also wondering about the merits of uninstalling TopManager, deleting the gbacon directory (and anything else you tell me I should delete to remove all traces of the program) and reinstalling, in an effort to determine whether the problem lies on the PC or the Toppy.

Once more, many thanks for you help.

Geoff Bacon
Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:45 am Reply with quote
@jw

Sending pm (will correspond by email)

Geoff

Geoff Bacon
Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:40 am Reply with quote
Found that jw's problem with the "List index out of bounds (-1)" error experienced when scanning via PcControl was due to the EMP2MEI.ini file being empty.

Have modified the code to flag that the file is empty (no idea when this will be released!)

Many thanks to John for reporting this and for his help in identifying the cause.

Geoff

gramps
Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 23 Jun 2007 Posts: 311
@Geoff I have now lost access to my old website so the current links in TopManager to my logo packs are now out of date.

But now I've sorted out my broadband I have created a Google site so I can continue hosting my logos. I will look to see if I can changing my TopManager setup to use the new location.

But so you can update the TopManager installer the new file locations are :-
Code:
https://sites.google.com/site/toppylogos/home/logo.dat?attredirects=0&d=1

https://sites.google.com/site/toppylogos/home/smlogo.dat?attredirects=0&d=1

gramps

My Logo Packs
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:01 pm Reply with quote
I Have modified the install script to load gramps's logos from his new site.

TM should automatically pick this change but it may take up to 8 days; you can speed this up the detection by doing a TM "Help| Check For Updates" operation. Note: Although the script will be updated, TM will report "There are no new program updates" (it is looking for changes to the executable). If you want confirmation that the script has changed, look at the source location of "Tools| Install Files| Logos (gramps)".

Geoff

gramps
Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 23 Jun 2007 Posts: 311
Thanks for doing that Geoff.

Just checked and TopManager is using the new location. Even got the new version of the files... after I'd uploaded them Embarassed

My Logo Packs
Laser
Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:27 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 10 Jan 2008 Posts: 421
I've long used TopManager to make the maintenance of my Toppy a breeze. I updated to TM 4.9 for a re-tune last night and encountered problems I'd not seen before.

1) After re-tuning, it had forgotten all my previously excluded channels, whereas before it would remember those I'd previously marked for deletion.

2) It said there were duplicate channels, but there were none.

3) Generating EPG.mei and Extend.mei after re-tuning kept re-creating the files as they would have been before the re-tune.

4) Generating MyStuff favourites warned of the dangers of nonexistent channels, even though the selected channels existed.

5) A Toppy reboot solved most of the above. However, despite having updated Freeview.dat prior to starting the process, TM told me that it was out of date again, no matter how many times I "updated" it.

Ok, none of this is a huge problem since a reboot seemed to cure it, but I've not seen these problems before. Normally it is a very smooth process. Has something changed from 4.8 to 4.9 which would have changed this?

mstombs
Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:21 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 31 Dec 2006 Posts: 935
My TM setup seems to point to an out of date Freeview.dat

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/emjbtaps/ChannelOrganiser/Freeview.dat

so old it still has bid on LCN23 (Closed July 2013, now used as local in Scotland), but there are some more recent changes, possibly as late as Dec 2014?

Is there a better link? Lots of updates listed on

http://www.a516digital.com/search/label/Freeview%20Updates

possibly the latest change to BBC local Radio confuses Channel Organiser?
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:36 am Reply with quote
@laser

1) After re-tuning, it had forgotten all my previously excluded channels, whereas before it would remember those I'd previously marked for deletion.
I noticed that TM wasn't always remembering the channels and made a change to correct it; I will have to look at the code again

2) It said there were duplicate channels, but there were none.
Duplicates can be by name as well as by number e.g. "Adult Section"
Duplicates show in Red

3) Generating EPG.mei and Extend.mei after re-tuning kept re-creating the files as they would have been before the re-tune.
I'm assuming you mean .ini files
No idea!

4) Generating MyStuff favourites warned of the dangers of nonexistent channels, even though the selected channels existed.
It obviously didn't like something in the channels (but I don't know what as I didn't change that area of the code)

5) A Toppy reboot solved most of the above. However, despite having updated Freeview.dat prior to starting the process, TM told me that it was out of date again, no matter how many times I "updated" it.
I'm assuming you used the TM "Tools| Install Files| Freeview.dat" option when updating the file (just in case you were updating it another way)
TM downloads EMJB's Freeview.dat in a background thread and performs a checksum against that stored on the toppy; it should only warn you if the files differ.

I will look at the code again and update shortly (I'm currently making changes to advise users not to use the local channels unless they really need/want them - local channels may have poor signal quality leading to a disk wipe).

Geoff

Geoff Bacon
Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:42 am Reply with quote
@mstombs

Almost missed your post.

EMJB owns/updates Freeview.dat; I just point at the one he provides.

The comment in the bottom of the file indicates that he last updated it on 14 Dec 2014.

Geoff

Bizman
Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:46 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Apr 2010 Posts: 1707
Geoff Bacon wrote:
The comment in the bottom of the file indicates that he last updated it on 14 Dec 2014.
In which case it is somewhat out of date. Smile
See 'Your next rescan' from that date onward.

Other TAPs : FsCheck, Channel Organiser. PSU Caps 7/2/2011 Tx: Mendip. TV: Samsung (32"), NSLU2, STB: Labgear FV300. PC Acer Aspire One with Win7 Starter