Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Site news and feedback  ~  Downtime, Monday

Page 1 of 1
nwhitfield
Posted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9567 Location: London
Apologies for downtime today; I'm away from home, and relying on roaming data to sort things out, so it wasn't as straightforward as normal to get the server up and running.

It's now been poked with a stick and will hopefully behave at least until I get back home, and serve as a useful reminder not to procrastinate about long-planner server moves.

Posted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 May 2007 Posts: 228 Location: Kent, UK
Thanks for poking life into the site again, Nigel. Since the recovery, the 'Mark forum/forums as read' button does not seem to do anything. Is it just me?!

TAPs: TAP Commander 1.34; EPG2MEI v0.96; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MyStuff 6.4; TF5000 Display v1.53; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MyInfo B5.5; ScreenCapture with OSD V3.0; (Power Restore V0.7.7);
Sig generated by MyInfo on 2/6/11
gomezz
Posted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Nov 2005 Posts: 3963 Location: Buckingham
Would a longer stick have helped? Very Happy

nwhitfield
Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Well, we appear to be back.

I have moved the database to a different server, while the actual web pages are still coming from the existing one. This is a temporary solution, until I move the web pages to the new server as well.

But it should avoid the problems that we were having with the database server.

Many apologies for the inconvenience; I'd have got this sorted sooner, but I was away in Berlin.

Nigel.

Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 22 Mar 2008 Posts: 911
Your dedication to the cause is exemplary. Thank you very much for all your time and effort, it is VERY much appreciated.

Donation made. (PayPal)

alpine*
Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 24 Apr 2007 Posts: 84 Location: Rayleigh Crystal Palace Tx
mavison wrote:
Thanks for poking life into the site again, Nigel. Since the recovery, the 'Mark forum/forums as read' button does not seem to do anything. Is it just me?!

Working OK here!

andrec
Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 15 Jul 2005 Posts: 1347 Location: Bristol, U.K.
Wallace wrote:
Your dedication to the cause is exemplary. Thank you very much for all your time and effort, it is VERY much appreciated.

Donation made. (PayPal)

Likewise and ditto Very Happy.

Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:00 pm Reply with quote
For those who didn't see it, here's a summary that I posted on DS earlier:

Quote:
Sometime earlier in the week, the server started crashing; when restarted, the database was taking up a huge amount of processor time; some configuration tweaks didn't fix that, and it was also clear that either the database itself was corrupting some index files, or the crashing of the server was doing that.

My first attempt at a remote fix worked for a while, but the server load was very high and it crashed again. I tried disabling the forums by changing the config password (options are limited when you're using ssh on a mobile phone screen), but that didn't help, and seemed to load the database even more, so I did a quick and dirty fix of renaming the folder containing all the forum files.

That's why people now see a 'page not found' message when trying to access the forum. It also means that there's nothing getting as far as the database, which should stop it messing up any more.

I suspect a possible hardware problem, because MySQL doesn't normally do things like that; it also managed to corrupt part of the database for my GoneDigital blog which is on the same server. I managed to get that up, but it's a lot less complicated, and seems to have been ok for a while.

Today's task is to try and port all the database functionality over to another server, as stage one of a move of the whole site - I actually have a server waiting, but work has meant that the move didn't happen sooner. Which is a handy lesson in the perils of procrastination, of course.

All the databases are now relocated, which is why things are back to normal.

Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 10 Jul 2005 Posts: 1611 Location: Shropshire
Well done. Thanks for all the time you put into this forum, most of the time unnoticed until there is a problem. Very Happy

Laser
Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 10 Jan 2008 Posts: 421
I was missing my toppy.org.uk fix! Crying or Very sad

Many thanks for your time and effort in providing this service, it is much appreciated. To even try to fix a server database via a mobile phone when in another country is... well, "dedicated" doesn't really cover it. Cool

mavison
Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:29 pm Reply with quote
I have just tried to remove some TAPs from my file list, but when I click on 'Remove from your files' on an info page for a TAP (eg epg2mei) I just get message 'No database selected'.

Is this related to the database move, or something else?

TAPs: TAP Commander 1.34; EPG2MEI v0.96; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MyStuff 6.4; TF5000 Display v1.53; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MyInfo B5.5; ScreenCapture with OSD V3.0; (Power Restore V0.7.7);
nwhitfield
Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:45 pm Reply with quote
That is related, and should now be fixed.

Apologies for that; I've thought all the database calls were in a couple of files, which I changed, but there were some extra ones, which I've now fixed. Along with looking at the code and thinking "Did I really do that?"

Please report any more quirks

Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:18 pm Reply with quote
nwhitfield wrote:
That is related, and should now be fixed.

Yup, thanks, I have managed to both delete and add TAPS ok.