Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Bugs  ~  Incorrect MHEG character set

Page 1 of 1
Pond
Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 02 Apr 2005 Posts: 64 Location: Cambridge, UK
The character set used on digital teletext is wrong. It's probably using ISO 8859-1, but whatever it uses, ought to be and is not using UTF-8 encoded ISO 10646-1 with combining accents.

This manifests itself as incorrect characters (such as accented capital A's instead of lower case accented u's and e's) in things like the BBCi TV guide descriptions.

(I believe the BBC used to get the mappings wrong at their end, but recently corrected things - devices like the Sony DTT decoder do display the right characters now, though the accents and letters appear next to each other as it can't handle character combining).

See section 5.2 of revision 1.05 of the Digital Terrestrial Television MHEG-5 Specification, OnDigital 1999, http://www.dtg.org.uk/reference/mheg_profile1_05.pdf.
rbeton
Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:06 am Reply with quote
Pond wrote:
The character set used on digital teletext is wrong. It's probably using ISO 8859-1, but whatever it uses, ought to be and is not using UTF-8 encoded ISO 10646-1 with combining accents.

This still appears to be a problem (although I suspect the problem is with the character encoding not with the character set - but that's splitting hairs).

Tonight there was a program on BBC2 called "The Life and Times of El Nio". Well that's what I think the title meant to say, i.e. with 'n' with a tilde over it (Unicode code point 00F1).

It actually displays as "...El Nino" (i.e. with A with diaresis before the n) (Unicode code point 00C4). My mental UTF-8 decoding ain't that good but it looks just like ones I've seen before where UTF-8 is incorrectly displayed as if it were ISO8859-1.

Rick
madfuzzy
Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:06 am Reply with quote
This bug is still in the Bastille Day firmware. I spotted it the other night on a Radio 4 programme where it was displaying "Caf" as "CafAe".

It'd be good if this bug could be fixed next time around if possible.
nwhitfield
Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:08 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9567 Location: London
It's still in the list (though possibly not updated in the database here, yet, since I've not tinkered since Bastille came out), though understandably was some way down below the EPG and subtitling issues.

When I next do a spreadsheet to send over, I'll make sure that this is on there.

Nigel.

Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:32 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Apr 2005 Posts: 2694
If you are raising this issue with Topfield it's perhaps also worth pointing out similar problems exist in other places, such as the EPG display, not just MHEG. They need to review their international character support in general. If it is any consolation most other manufactures seem to get it wrong too.
nwhitfield
Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:09 am Reply with quote
Now marked as an issue for Bastille day firmware too.

Nigel.

Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Is this still happening in later firmwares?