Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Computer connections  ~  Aldarin's tfdll.dll now available for 64-bit Windows

Page 4 of 7
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Darucla
Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Jun 2007 Posts: 1446 Location: Norwich
Although, the dll is new only for the 64 bit systems. So if dedics is using Win 7 32, it could be the problem. (I know, this is a thread about the 64 bit dll, but it doesn't hurt to check).
dedics
Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 07 Aug 2005 Posts: 310
no it's win 7 64bit

I might try removing the usb accelerator patches and trying again to see if that is the problem.

I'll let you know

dedics

Sig generated by MyInfo on 24/9/09
qubits
Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:41 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 26 May 2010 Posts: 164 Location: Australia
Darucla wrote:
Although, the dll is new only for the 64 bit systems
That's not entirely true. Aldarin's dll is actually a 32-bit dll, and works fine on 32-bit systems, so long as you have the Winusb driver installed instead of the Tfbulk driver. There are a couple of reasons why someone might want to use the Winusb driver on a 32-bit system. br14nh did because he had trouble getting the Tfbulk driver to work. Also, I did on my old 32-bit machine so I could run Antares on it Smile

Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:19 pm Reply with quote
x-2o wrote:
I got Antares working on windows 7 64 bit but I don't seem to be able to get the firmware updater to work even though it shows the usb working after Antares was installed.

Topfield's firmware updater program doesn't seem to use tfdll.dll, so it probably can't be used under 64-bit windows. However you can always just copy the firmware across using Antares, and then use R2-D2's HDFW tap to install it.

Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Just for confirmation:having just tried it out, I can confirm that the "64" bit dll works with the speed patches on my 32 bit Win 7 (I don't currently have a 64 bit system since my laptop exploded), so I assume definitiely should with a 64 bit Win 7.
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Jan 2007 Posts: 3061 Location: Bristol ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ Windows XP, USB
On a 64 bit system, I believe you can only use a 64 bit driver. The confusion appears to be arising because the dll that talks to the driver does not need to be 64 bits.

For example, TopManager is built on a 32 bit XP system. When it runs, it loads a 32 bit dll which handles the communication with the driver. This driver will be 64 bit on a 64 bit system and 32 bit on a 32 bit system.

The firmware loader uses the same mechanism as TM to connect via USB ie it uses a 32 bit dll to talk to the driver. Both TM and the installer provide their own copies of the dll (they are stored in the same folder as the respective programs).

I thought that Antares also used the same 32 bit dll but qubits implied in a post somewhere that it used a 64 bit dll on a 64 bit system (unless he was getting confused with the driver).

Geoff

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; QuickJump 1.72; MyInfo B5.6; Font Manager 1.0d; EPG2MEI v0.96; CrashTrace v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; Extend v1.7; WSSkiller V2.12d; SecCache (UK) v0.4; MyStuff 6.5;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 6/9/13
™
Darucla
Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:57 pm Reply with quote
My comment was so that dedics would know that there is no incompatability between the 64 bit dll and the USB patches ( a worry that he voiced earlier, and I inadvertently compounded. Although the symptoms described did suggest that might be the problem). No confusion there. Although, we still don't really know what dedics' problem is, just what it's not.

*edit* My bet would now be on the USB connector or the cable, even though he has tried a new cable. An alternative new one may make all the difference.

I'll let qubits discuss how Antares works without using the tfdll.dll.
qubits
Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Geoff Bacon wrote:
I thought that Antares also used the same 32 bit dll but qubits implied in a post somewhere that it used a 64 bit dll on a 64 bit system (unless he was getting confused with the driver).

Apologies if I did imply that. There's no true 64-bit version of tfdll.dll that I know about. Antares is 32-bit, and doesn't use any dll at all. All of the necessary functionality of tfdll.dll is implemented directly in the source code of Antares.

The reason for this is that I originally based Antares on the program Wuppy, which was originally based on a linux program Puppy. There is no tfdll.dll in linux, so the author of Puppy very cleverly wrote his own low-level routines for communicating directly with the toppy. If you were to compile Puppy under Windows it also wouldn't need tfdll.dll. Likewise with ftpd-topfield.

It might have been simpler for me to use tfdll.dll, and it might have allowed the file antares.exe to be slightly smaller. However I started writing Antares before Aldarin had written his 64-compatible dll, and I've decided to stick with that way of doing things.

Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Jan 2007 Posts: 3061 Location: Bristol ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ Windows XP, USB
qubits - thanks for the clarification.

I would think that calling calling low-level routines is more efficient than using a dll (well it used to be on Vaes and Alphas)

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; QuickJump 1.72; MyInfo B5.6; Font Manager 1.0d; EPG2MEI v0.96; CrashTrace v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; Extend v1.7; WSSkiller V2.12d; SecCache (UK) v0.4; MyStuff 6.5;
™
dedics
Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:29 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 07 Aug 2005 Posts: 310
Ah I didn't quite twig that antares and aldarins dll were not the same.

However, neither works with large files on my toppy with either my win7 computer with the long lead or my xp laptop with a single usb lead.

They all work fine with small files like the MyStuff.mei epg one or firmwares or .ini files.

This is why I am puzzled.

I will download antares onto the laptop with a short usb and see if that works. Later today though as I am busy right now.

By the way I'm a she not a he!

dedics

Sig generated by MyInfo on 24/9/09
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:50 am Reply with quote
@dedics

Have you tried TopManager - the "Tools|DLLs|Display" option will show whether or not your dll supports the accelerator patches (this may take about 2 minutes before it is enabled as it scans for dlls in a background thread the first time you use TM). Also, check that you don't have two copies of Altair on your system.

Geoff

™
ccs
Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:48 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 1905 Location: E Yorkshire Belmont Transmitter
I'm wanting to start using Altair on Windows 7 64 bit, and find this thread a bit confusing. Am I right to follow....
qubits wrote:
If you've never installed any of the standard Topfield tools or drivers before, and you only care about running Altair, then the following should be a fairly foolproof way of getting Altair to run under 64-bit windows. (And it doesn't involve using a command window with administrator privileges).
1) Create a folder called "Altair" inside your My Documents folder.
2) Download Altair_1.250.zip from the Topfield website. Unzip the file so that its contents are in your new Altair folder.
3) Of the new files that you unzipped, delete the following: tfdll.dll, tfbulk.sys, and tfbulk.ini.
4) Copy Aldarin's version of tfdll.dll to your Altair folder.

5) Follow all the instructions for installing Antares. Run Antares.exe, and verify that it can access the Topfield (thus verifying that the drivers were installed correctly).
6) Now you should just be able to double click Altair_1.250.exe whenever you wish to run Altair.
until the bit about installing Antares, and then do this....
qubits wrote:
I have now created a new utility, z4t, which provides a much simpler way of installing the libusb-winusb drivers for the toppy.

Download and run z4t.exe. If you haven't already done so, plug your topfield in. Then click Install Driver. You might need to also click "Install this driver software anyway" if Windows pops up a warning.

That's it! After doing this, you can run Altair, so long as you have placed Altair_1.250.exe and Aldarin's dll in the same folder. (But then again, why would you run Altair when you can run Antares instead? :wink: )

If there is already a driver installed (such as tfbulk.sys, if you're using 32-bit windows), z4t will replace the existing driver with libusb-winusb. z4t runs on all 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows from XP to 7.
Thanks.

ccsx
qubits
Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:09 am Reply with quote
Yep, that's right. If you follow the steps 1 to 4 of what you quoted, and then run z4t.exe, you should then have a working installation of Altair.

Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:42 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 1905 Location: E Yorkshire Belmont Transmitter
qubits wrote:
Yep, that's right. If you follow the steps 1 to 4 of what you quoted, and then run z4t.exe, you should then have a working installation of Altair.
Excellent - thanks for the quick reply.

ccsx
stuart1234
Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:28 pm Reply with quote
I don't mess with my Toppy much - its more or less as it was delivered apart from firmware updates but this method of connecting to my 64bit Win7 lap top is going to open up a lot of doors to TAPs. Up til now I had to un-plug and take to another room to connect to an XP desktop.