Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Computer connections  ~  Aldarin's tfdll.dll now available for 64-bit Windows

Page 2 of 7
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
firstchoice
Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:27 am Reply with quote
qubits wrote:
Great news, everyone. Aldarin has provided me with a version of his tfdll.dll which works with the same USB driver that Antares uses. This means that all the standard Topfield tools can now be used in 64-bit Windows!

Amazing! Upgraded my laptop to Windows 7 64-bit a month ago (from its original factory install of Vista Home Basic!) and hadn't needed to do anything to my Toppy until tonight, when I found there isn't an official 64-bit driver from Topfield. It's enabled me to run the automatic MyStuff installer (using the tfdll.dll renamed to Vista.dll in the install folder) and it's updated my Toppy with no problems. Very Happy

Unfortunately it's not fixed the problem I'm having with MyStuff crashing halfway through the "L" roundel on the screen Evil or Very Mad
charliestumpy
Posted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:36 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 15 Sep 2007 Posts: 57
Thankyou for helping me/others get new 64 bit Win m/c running with old Toppie - I went the Antares route/much appreciated.

Posted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 20 Sep 2006 Posts: 221 Location: Winter Hill
Quote:
Unfortunately it's not fixed the problem I'm having with MyStuff crashing halfway through the "L" roundel on the screen Evil or Very Mad

I had this a while back and I remembered that there had been a post about coprrupt EPG files (can't seem to track the thread down at the moment). Deleting EPG.mei fixed it.[/quote]

Bob_Swede
Posted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:30 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 22 Oct 2007 Posts: 1055 Location: Sweden
firstchoice wrote:

The crash during the L phase of MyStuff is not connected to the connectivity between the toppy and the PC. It is most probably caused by a malformed line inside the MyStuff.mei or EPG.mei file (depending on how the EPG is collected).
If you use an external program to create the EPG (like I do) then at some phase in the process there is a transfer of that file into the toppy via the USB connection and this might of course theoretically be a source of corruption of the mei file causing MyStuff to crash.
But if you create the EPG.mei file using a TAP on-board the toppy then this corruption cannot come from the USB connection side....

(EPG: XMLTV2Mei for Win + MyStuff)
(Toppy access: ASUS WL-500g-P FTP installed using chunkywizard's guide)
Sig partly gen. by MyInfo on 12/4/2013
chunkywizard
Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:46 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 13 May 2005 Posts: 9287 Location: Sindlesham, Berkshire Tx: Hannington
Hi Folks,

the new DLL has now been rolled into the Toppy Firmware Installer. A new version is now available for test. If you have a 64-bit Windows OS, need to upgrade your firmware (or just want to help test) please try the new installer at:

www.toppy.org.uk/~chunkywizard/TAPDownload/ToppyFirmwareLoader64.zip

Please feedback in this thread,

Thanks

CW

Andrew Boulton
Posted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:04 pm Reply with quote
10 PRINT "Thank you!"
20 GOTO 10

Smile

Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 22 Mar 2008 Posts: 911 Location: Winter Hill
A thank you at a very BASIC level.

Thanks all. Laughing

barteh
Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:40 pm Reply with quote
hi guys, im really struggling with my x64 install drivers.

Ive followed the Antares 0.6 guide and have made a little progress, previous Ive always had an unknown device.
Earlier, I uninstalled any previous software/drivers, then followed the instructions, manually installed the libusb-winusb driver, plugged in my toppy and it sits there in device manager with a "!" over it, but it does list it as "Topfield (libusb-winusb).

Anyone have any further ideas on how to get working?

I have windows 7 x64.
Any help would be REALLY appreciated, im lost for directions now Sad
qubits
Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:21 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 26 May 2010 Posts: 164 Location: Australia
barteh wrote:

Anyone have any further ideas on how to get working?
Hi barteh,
Sorry for the delay in replying, but unfortunately I'm not sure what might be causing the problems that you are describing.

You might like to try the alternative way of installing the 64-bit drivers (see this post) after first uninstalling the current drivers.

I'm curious: if you open up the topfield device in the device manager by double-clicking it, is there any further error information that is displayed in the "device status" box? Also, have you ever successfully connected this Topfield to another computer before, e.g. using the standard drivers on a 32-bit machine?

Last edited by qubits on Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Clwyd
Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 08 Nov 2006 Posts: 27 Location: Ruthin, N.Wales
Just completed install and have Altair 1.250 up and running on W7 64bit - took 5mins.

If I can remember sequence, it goes like this (mine was a fresh install BTW)

create Altair folder - somewhere convenient for you.
unzipped topfield-libusb-winusb.zip into it (drivers folder is created).
opened 'Devices and Printers' in Start Menu.
right clicked on unknown device (the toppy).
right clicked on properties and drilled down through all options until Windows asked for a driver to install. I can't duplicate this now as it's working, but you might try the troubleshooting wizard if you can't get a response.
in the install driver wizard, browse to the Altair\drivers folder and select that - yes the folder.
Windows says 'install non-certified driver?' yes.
Drivers and Printers will now show 'Topfield (libusb-winusb)' device.
download Altair 1.250 from Topfield site and unzip into Altair folder.
delete Tfbulk.sys, Tfbulk.inf & TfDll.dll files in the Altair folder and unzip tfdll4winusb1_03.zip into it.
Double click on Altair_1.250.exe and away you go.
you can pin Altair to the quick launch bar for convenience.

One less reason for having a dual boot system now. Thanks to everyone who contributed.[/quote]

br14nh
Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:49 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 04 Oct 2009 Posts: 32 Location: SW Sydney, Australia
This driver also seems to fix the hanging issue caused on 32 bit machines when trying to connect to a toppy from a PC via USB, as in the following topic -

http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14203

Nothing else I tried has worked, replacing the existing driver with this version of tfdll.dll allows me to connect to the toppy using the Firmware tool in Dave's Toppy Tools, which wouldn't work using the "official" topfield tools driver. I also have the Antares 6.0.1 open source alternative to Altair installed, via which I am also able to access the Toppy.

Cheers Aldarin!!
chris.maddock
Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 14 Jul 2006 Posts: 42 Location: Southampton, UK
br14nh wrote:
Cheers Aldarin!!

Seconded - I've just bought a Windows 7 machine and one of the few things I was concerned I wouldn't be able to get working on it was Altair. Not any more.

KRs
Chris
English Pensioner
Posted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:06 pm Reply with quote
I think I've read all the posts about installing Antares or changing the drivers with Altair.
I have the drivers and the alternative dll in a folder, but I'm lost when the instructions tell me to install the drivers.
I'm totally non-computer orientated, being a mere user; can someone explain how I install these drivers.
I've also go Virtual Box and Win XP on my machine (installed by a friend I hasten to say) and can now run some of my old non-Win7 compatible software, but Altair still suffers from the same problem there, no drivers.
qubits
Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:07 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 26 May 2010 Posts: 164 Location: Australia
English Pensioner wrote:
I think I've read all the posts about installing Antares or changing the drivers with Altair.
I have the drivers and the alternative dll in a folder, but I'm lost when the instructions tell me to install the drivers.
I'm totally non-computer orientated, being a mere user; can someone explain how I install these drivers.
I've also go Virtual Box and Win XP on my machine (installed by a friend I hasten to say) and can now run some of my old non-Win7 compatible software, but Altair still suffers from the same problem there, no drivers.
There are two ways of installing Antares' drivers. Step 5 of the Antares installation instructions mentions one method. I admit, those instructions would be pretty terse for someone not familiar with using the Device Manager to install drivers.

So I recommend you instead try the other way of installing Antares' drivers, which I describe in this post. As the post explains, you just need to plug in your toppy, run a program called "zadig.exe", then follow a couple of simple steps, and the drivers will be installed.

If there's any particular step of either method that is causing you problems, let me know and I'll try to explain better.

When you think you have the drivers installed, the simple way of checking if that is indeed the case is to run Antares (double click antares.exe), and see if it can connect to your toppy. If that works, you can then start worrying about putting dll's in the right place to get Altair running.

If I were you I wouldn't use your virtual installation of Windows XP for any of this. It's not necessary, and it would just over-complicate things.
English Pensioner
Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for your response. In fact I managed to find out how to do it by refusing to admit defeat and working until the small hours of the morning.
I put the relevant files, with the new dll and the new driver folder in a single new folder within Program Files, clicked on the exe file. looking at devices and printers, I now had an unknown device. After much searching, I managed to find how to point to the drivers folder and it worked. Must say that Microsoft seem to make it b.... difficult to find how to do what should be a simple task!
Now all I need is a shortcut, and I know how to do that, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed.