Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Computer connections  ~  Antares-- an Altair replacement for 32-bit & 64-bit Win.

Page 3 of 26
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Darucla
Posted: Mon May 31, 2010 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Jun 2007 Posts: 1420 Location: Norwich
And if anyone is interested, I would really love a version of FTPD-Topfield which would run on 64 bit Windows. Razz

qubits
Posted: Mon May 31, 2010 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 26 May 2010 Posts: 164 Location: Australia
Darucla wrote:
Doesn't seem to work across the Medion wireless link. Bit of a nuisance, but not a huge one. Works extremely quickly otherwise, very snappy opening and directory displaying.

When the toppy is plugged in to the Medion, do you see any sign of it in the device manager? You might just need to install the same drivers again when the toppy is connected in this way. So if you see a new "unknown device" in the device manager, try right clicking it and repeating the driver installation steps.
Infernoz
Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:30 am Reply with quote
[quote="Darucla"]@infernoz

You should look at the usb accelerator patches, which can be found on R2-D2's site. These will improve speed transfer. I have been getting over 1.4 MB in normal mode.

[edit] This is what I get for posting after wine with dinner. But you should get up to 2.6 or better (best I've heard is about 3.3) with Turbo.[/quote]

Thanks, I'll have a look.

I rollback on patches, for a long while, because my 5810 had become unreliable, which I later fixed by swapping out 3 PSU capacitors for very overrated 105C ones. (the originals were not overrated enough)

Awesome 3.22MB/s! Cool

Last edited by Infernoz on Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Darucla
Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:54 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Jun 2007 Posts: 1420 Location: Norwich
qubits wrote:
You might just need to install the same drivers again when the toppy is connected in this way. So if you see a new "unknown device" in the device manager, try right clicking it and repeating the driver installation steps.

I tried that, thanks, but no result. The Medion window shows the Topfield, but the Antares window doesn't. No unknown device in device manager.

Bob_Swede
Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:23 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 22 Oct 2007 Posts: 1006 Location: Sweden
birdman wrote:

See http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/connect/usb/winusb_howto.mspx and instead ask why Microsoft didn't provide this from the start.

Very interesting link, indeed.
Only problem for me is that I am a Delphi programmer so could I ask if someone reading this thread has used WinUSB with Delphi successfully and is willing to share? I am using Delphi 7 Pro and BDS 2006 Delphi32 myself. Only rudimentary knowledge of C++, I'm afraid.

(EPG: XMLTV2Mei for Win + MyStuff)
(Toppy access: ASUS WL-500g-P FTP installed using chunkywizard's guide)
Sig partly gen. by MyInfo on 12/4/2013
birdman
Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 13 Dec 2006 Posts: 1626 Location: Hitchin, HERTS Tx: Sandy Heath
Since I was curious, here are some bits I bumped into about installing WinUSB on a Windows XP systems (which won't have it by default).

WinUSB Installation and a Catch-22 for it...

Toppy: TF5800PVR/250 - Black, now 1TB WD10EURX
F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -FmVrXp+BmC0CbFsIPsUUuWfZXl,
Loader: C5.14, Hardware: 1.01
TAPs: SecCache (UK) v0.4; EPG2MEI v0.96; FontManager 1.0d; QuickJump 1.71; MhegOnOff(Now1) A3; EIT Sub v0.6; MyStuff 6.5
USB connected: SheevaPlug with Debian wheezy
Sig mostly from MyInfo on 26/10/09
Gandalf Greyhelm
Posted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:35 am Reply with quote
My first post here!.

And that because I wanted to say a HUGE "Thank You!" to both Henry and Aldarin for their work in getting the Toppy to communicate with x64 systems.

I am now no longer obliged to dual - boot - which saves both time and energy - and by using Aldarin's new x64 compatible tfdll.dll with Altair - I can use the old program to rename / delete RECs - whilst using Antares (with the USB accelerator) to achieve 3.63 Mb/sec throughput!

I would like to ask Henry how soon he thinks the GUI will be updated to enable rename / delete - as this would enable me to ditch Altair altogether?

Again, many thanks, and, Topfield, you should hang your heads in shame for not having delivered this yourselves. At the very least both Henry and Altair deserve a shiny new Topfield!

Shane. Very Happy
qubits
Posted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Gandalf Greyhelm wrote:

I would like to ask Henry how soon he thinks the GUI will be updated to enable rename / delete - as this would enable me to ditch Altair altogether?

Thanks for your post, Shane. I had been curious about whether anyone would continue using Antares now that Altair is available. I'm planning to keep using Antares for my own Toppy access, which is probably reason enough to keep developing it, but knowing that someone else is using it definitely gives me more incentive!

Adding the delete and rename functions shouldn't be too difficult; it's probably an hour's work. I'll probably have a go at it this coming weekend.
billmars
Posted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Sep 2005 Posts: 741 Location: Hull
I would think that this:-
Code:
Use of safe windows filenames. That is, when each file is copied to the PC, special characters such as :  \  ? *  are replaced with safe characters.
would be enough to warrant using Antares in preference to Altair, especially for newcomers - the problem associated with illegal Windows characters crops up at least once a month!

5800 Samsung 1Tb Autostart TAPs: Extend 1.7;TSRCommander 1.5;TF5000 Display 1.53;EPG2MEI 0.95;MyStuff 6.5;QuickJump 1.72;Power Down 0.75;SecCache 0.4;TSSaver 0.4;MHEG Control B2;eit_sub_sng 0.6 Transmitter: Belmont Extras: as2mei (via NSLU2)
Iken
Posted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 13 Jul 2006 Posts: 109 Location: Hertfordshire, Sandy Heath Tx
Not to mention the fact it looks prettier Mr. Green

I also found it seemed a lot faster to run; 'snappier' in response in use too.

One other thing - Antares keeps the sort order specified within a session, unlike Altair, which can be rather infuriating.

Go on, Henry; you know it makes sense Wink Very Happy

Last Updated 21/10/2013
qubits
Posted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Antares 0.3 is now ready for anyone who wants to try it. (Direct link to a zipped exe for those who already have the drivers and microsoft libraries installed).

Here is the list of changes:
-- You can now rename and delete files on the toppy.
-- Anatares now remembers what folders you were viewing last time you quit the program, and it also remembers the sort column and sort order. [A file called Antares.config is automatically created in the same directory as the exe, in order to store this information].
-- If you are copying a number of files in one go, you may now change the turbo mode during the copy, and it will take effect before the next file in the list starts copying.
-- I fixed a bug which caused a crash when attempting to save to a write-protected folder on the PC.

Enjoy!

Cheers,
Henry
kpee51
Posted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 02 Nov 2007 Posts: 69 Location: Hoddesdon, UK, Crystal Palace TX
Thank you Qubits

It seems to work a treat on my Winxp pro 64 bit

Keith

dedics
Posted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 07 Aug 2005 Posts: 310
I've just tried the new version and the copy just crashes out straight away...

in the previous version it copied up to 7.3kbits and then crashed...

I still can't work out whats happening...

dedics

Sig generated by MyInfo on 24/9/09
glenmcfar
Posted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 07 Dec 2006 Posts: 4519 Location: Dundonald, Ayrshire, Scotland
Cheers. Glad you're still developing this. Altair is bogging!

qubits
Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:36 pm Reply with quote
dedics wrote:
I've just tried the new version and the copy just crashes out straight away...
in the previous version it copied up to 7.3kbits and then crashed...
dedics

Do you mean it's the toppy itself crashing, or Antares? (I understand from your posts in the other thread that both were happening to you in v0.2). If the current version of Antares is crashing, please post the error info again like you did before in the other thread, and I'll be happy to try and fix the problem.

If it's just the toppy crashing now, then I'm also mystified. I'm wondering, before you moved to 64-bit windows, had you ever successfully copied files from this particular Topfield box using a 32-bit version of windows? Have you recently changed the firmware or firmware patches you are using?