Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Computer connections  ~  Copying data from Toppy

Page 1 of 1
bann208
Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:58 am Reply with quote
Hello, I have recently hit a problem where I am unable to copy data from my Toppy (5810) hard drive.

I noticed recently that the UK Timer TAP I use had stopped working, and yesterday when I attempted to copy data from the Toppy using Altair I was unable to access the DataFiles folder, which showed as empty.

The hard drive on the Toppy was nearly full so using the file option on the remote control I deleted some stuff and I was then able to use Altair to copy the UK Timer TAP back into the ProgamFiles folder and the TAP now works.

In the root directory the amount of free space is correctly shown, however when I try and open the DataFiles folder it is slow to open, and when it does open it shows as empty with 0MB of space.

I have tried reinstalling the firmware and doing a Factory reset, and despite deleting some more stuff the DataFiles folder is still showing as empty in Altair.

Probably the disk needs de-fragging, but I have now idea how one would do that on a Toppy. Anyone have any ideas?

Sig generated by MyInfo on 3/6/09
andyfras
Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:18 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3004 Location: Fleet, Hampshire (Hannington)
If your forum join date is indicative of the age of your 5810, it is in need of some new PSU capacitors. Once the PSU is fixed, the disk will hopefully make a full recovery.

Toppy disks do not need defragging, but if there is corruption caused by a failing PSU, you may need to connect the drive directly to a PC running TopfHDRW/Doctor in order to fix it.

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 1TB with fan, Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScWfZ