Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Computer connections  ~  Convert .rec files to DVD guide.

Page 1 of 22
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Traxmaster
Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 31 Mar 2005 Posts: 206
Here is a small guide for converting .rec files to dvd.
Please feel free to rewrite the guide if required.

Converting .rec files to DVD.

1) Download and install Java runtime

Get from http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

2) Download Projectx

Get From http://www.oozoon.de/main.html

The current download link is
http://www.px-info.de/progs/projectx/ProjectX-v0.82.01.00-20050402.zip

3) Unzip all of the "ProjectX-v0.82.01.00-20050402.zip" files into a new folder.

4) Run the java file "ProjectX-v0.82.01.00-20050402.jar" by double clicking it or another method.

5) Drag your .rec file into the window at the top left and then choose go from underneath this window.

Several files should now be created

Example if you had a .rec file called simpsons.rec the important files it creates are

simpsons.m1v - This is the video file
simpsons.mpa - This is Audio file 1
simpsons-1.mpa - This is the Audio file 2

Note. Audio file 1 is empty but Audio file 2 contains the soundtrack relevant to the UK model.

6) Download and install TMPGEnc DVD Author 1.6 Ver.1.6.26.73  (31 day free trial)
Get From http://www.pegasys-inc.com/en/index.html

The current download link is http://www.pegasys-inc.com/en/download/tda16_license.html
You must agree to their terms and conditions.

7) Run TMPGenc DVD author

a) Create New project
b) add files
c) example -  Choose simpsons.m1v

The audio is already selected as simpsons.mpa
Important. This first sound track is empty and must be changed to the second soundtrack

Example - change audio from simpsons.mpa to simpsons_1.mpa

d) There is a tick box to re-encode the audio

(I left as unticked, I will try the ticked version later)

e) Click output at the top, leave the create dvd folder ticked on.
f) Choose begin output and this will save dvd files into my documents
g) Click on the start button at the top, you now have the option to write the Dvd folder to dvd.

I normally use nero to create dvd's,
From nero I choose create DVD-Video and then drag the Video files tmpeg has created into the red video folder and then choose burn.
Note: There are a lot more options in TMPGenc for setting up the dvd menu, adding chapters and editing the video.

[Edit] Darkmatter: forum conversion broke text - now fixed
nwhitfield
Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9511 Location: London
That's great; really helpful.

I don't suppose I could twist your arm to do a couple of screenshots? (I use irfranview for the magazine stuff I do).

If you can mail me some, then I'll turn the whole thing into a PDF for the document library.

Nigel.
(admin @ toppy.org.uk)

Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:23 pm Reply with quote
I should be able to do that in a few days.

The guide was put together very quickly so please feel free to re-word/re-format it any way you like.

I need to test out a few more options in Tmpegenc
to make sure it works 100% like the re-encode audio.

Also I need to find out if there is any optical out as I have only used the second soundtrack.

It does however play ok on a pc player.
mark
Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:55 pm Reply with quote
What advantage is there is the TMPGEnc stage?

In ProjectX I selected the output to M2P option and I ended up with a single file (audio and video) that I could then edit / burn.

Traxmaster
Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:56 am Reply with quote
Note: the above guide was a quick guide that worked for me that needs fine tuning.

I ran a few tests last night and noticed some important findings.

1) The audio isn't always sent/recorded on the same audio stream.

Some recordings from BBC1 had the audio on the first audio file and not the _1 audio file as with the simpsons recording from Channel 4.

I don't know if this is mux dependant, channel dependant or tuner dependant. More testing is required.

Therefore when using tmpgenc make sure you select the correct file for the audio, you can test which audio file has the sound by playing it through windows media player or equivalent.

2) It doesn't appear to matter if you choose the audio re-encode option or not. I found it converted the files over 30 % faster not using this option.

3) I played the dvd on a DVD player connected to a digital amplifier using optical out and the sound was decoded a mpeg audio. The sound also came through the TV ok which is connected by a scart lead.

I will try the option tonight of creating just one combined file with project X and see if I can use nero vision express to convert to DVD.

Other Comments...

I have found the editing facility in TMPEGenc more user friendly than nero vision express.

Its very difficult with nero vision express to cut out the adverts and hard to find the exact cut points it also doesn't like mpeg files over 2 gig.

Matt can you reply back with what option you selected in ProjectX to create a combined audio/video file. I am assuming you created an mpeg file????

Please reply back.
Traxmaster
Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:34 am Reply with quote
Ok I have found the option, under Go You have the DEMUX pull down menu.
Click the Down arrow once and change to M2P.

I will test what I can do with this file using
1) various players
2) various dvd authoring software.

I can't test until tonight, so if any one else can do any tests please post back.

robsonthejob
Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:04 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 21 Mar 2005 Posts: 48
that is what i did and it produced an mpg that windvd could read so i assume that nero etc could also read it. Seems the simplest way to me.

[Edit] Darkmatter: Removed full quote of preceding post
Traxmaster
Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:13 am Reply with quote
I have a copy of windvd creator but had problems in the past where it has reduced the vertical dimensions.

I still find tmpegenc easier for editing.
groovyf
Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:21 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Mar 2005 Posts: 433 Location: Halifax, Emley Moor transmitter
I found a quick rule of thumb was selecting the audio file that was the largest

PhilA
Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:42 am Reply with quote
I found it easier to use VideoReDo. Just load the .rec file. You can trim out the adverts etc. Then this will generate a MPG file that you can play on your computer or NERO will burn it to DVD for you. Very simple this way. :Smile

Also Tony has a lot of good info at his web site on conversion:
http://tonyspage.abock.de/
Traxmaster
Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:39 am Reply with quote
I ran a few tests over the weekend.
Here are my findings:

I transfered over a 5 minute recording.

Project X can be used to convert to
a) A M2P file
or
b) De-multiplex the streams

It took Project X -

21 seconds to convert to a M2P
65 seconds to De-mux all the streams.

I was able to use Nero vision express, Windvd creator and TMPEGenc to convert straight from the M2P file and conversion took approx 6 mins. Each method had its own problems.

a) Tmpegenc issues a warning about incorrect bitrate but if you ignore this you can still process the file and burn to DVD.
b) WINDVD loads the file in but I got audio problems.
c) Nero Vision Express doesn't see the .m2p as a movie file so you need to use the "view all files option" which lets you load in the file.

The problem with Tmpegenc is that it doesn't automatically run the menu it has created during playback, The windvd audio problems made it unwatchable.
The nero vision express gave the best results as the menu starts autostarts.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My second test was to time how long it took Tmpeg to convert the demuxed files, it only took 2:30 to convert to dvd compliant files but again the menu doesn't autorun during playback.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had a look at videoredo and womble mpeg editor last night.
Which both allow you to edit/save .rec files straight to an mpeg file.

I prefered both of these editors to the editor on tmpegenc.
The reason I like these 2 editors is that you can move forward and backward a frame at a time using the arrow keys or shift or ctrl and the arrows to move ten frames etc.

Videoredo converted the 5 minute .rec file to mpeg in 18 seconds
Womble took 22 seconds. Out the 2, videoredo was was easier to use and you can configure the shift/arrow key and ctrl/arrow key
with a variable frame jump.

I could load the mpeg file staight into nero and it takes 8 mins to re-encode to dvd compliant files.

I could load the mpeg file created by videoredo into tmpeg and it only takes a few mins to create dvd compliant files unlike nero.

The mpeg file created by womble mpeg editor would not load into tmpegenc as the file was not compliant.
Normsthename
Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Apr 2005 Posts: 118
I use Womble Mpeg Wizard all the time, the frame editting is frame perfect.
I also set up a Toppy Template in Womble Mpeg wizard, to match the original file properties, and I write the transport stream out, with no re-encoding.
I can then convert the file back to a REC file, and upload it straight to the Toppy.
I did this on some of the 'Blank'recordings, and they play perfectly.

Andy
nwhitfield
Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9511 Location: London
Are these templates the sort of thing that can be saved as a file to share with other users?

Also, if someone lets me know the URL for the Womble stuff, I'll add it to the software library.

Nigel.
Normsthename
Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Apr 2005 Posts: 118
Quote:
Are these templates the sort of thing that can be saved as a file to share with other users?

Also, if someone lets me know the URL for the Womble stuff, I'll add it to the software library.

The templates are created in the save file dialog box, you can set all the video & audio parameters to suit how you want to save the finished Mpeg file.
For the toppy, I set the template up as the following :-

Video
Mpeg2 Transport Stream
720 x 576 @25 FPS
Bitrate = constant 6500 kps

Audio
48 khz
Bit Rate 256 kps

Setting the template to this, Mpeg Wizard does not re-encode the file, and an hours video only takes a minute or so to write.
I then convert the Mpeg file to a REC file using Topfield TF5000PVRt .rec file converter by Peteru

http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~peteru/toppy/

The URL for Mpeg Wizard is :-
http://www.womble.com/

It is a great piece of software, very easy to use and quick.

Andy
malc
Posted: Sat May 14, 2005 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 08 May 2005 Posts: 1370 Location: chippenham
I've been trying Nero VE and find it does seem to take a long time (I was writing to disk rather than DVD). I had a 5 minute clip and it reckoned it was going to take 7 minutes to transcode. The advantage of NVE is I can do the entire operation in one package since it will read .rec files (or at least the one I tried). It would seem that the trasncoding is taking the time and the file I converted with Nero actually doubled in size!

Traxmaster, what size files did you get out of the various packages you tried?

Anyone know how to change NVE behaviour?