Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  TAPs  ~  TAP to create remote subtitle toggle button

Page 1 of 7
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 12:17 pm Reply with quote
I don't yet have PVR and would consider the Topfield but I need to be able to toggle subtitles on and off from the remote without having to burrow into the menu system. How easy would it be to create a TAP that would change one of the existing remote buttons into a button to toggle subtitles?

Thanks

paulb
simonc
Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Apr 2005 Posts: 5617 Location: Cheltenham
Shouldn't be too difficult. Let me know when it's arrived Wink

edit:
Here's the home page for UKSubtitle:
http://www.toppy.org.uk/~simonc/uksubtitle.html

Last edited by simonc on Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:45 pm Reply with quote
simonc wrote:
Shouldn't be too difficult. Let me know when it's arrived Wink

Thanks. I'll let you know.

PaulB
Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:18 am Reply with quote
Dear simonc

I have finally given up on the Inverto and bought a Topfield. Having played around with the machine, I think the best button for toggling subtitles would be the mute button. (I am using a Harmony universal remote so I can mute using my tv). Would it be possible to create a TAP that puts the subtitle toggle on this button? I can then teach my remote the code. What I ideally want to see when I press mute is the menu you reach by pressing 'opt' and then selecting 'subtitle track'.

PaulB
simonc
Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:56 am Reply with quote
My initial idea was to have a button that toggled subtitles on and off, but the Toppy can't tell you when subtitles are enabled so this isn't really possible. I think reproducing the menu rather than trying to send a series of keypresses might be the best approach, but the initial selection will not reflect the actual enabled state of the subtitles.

BTW is it possible to teach your remote to send the necessary keystrokes? I can't remember whether the opt menu is too dynamic to set up a macro for subtitles.
Darkmatter
Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Forum moderator Joined: 21 Mar 2005 Posts: 1237
I haven?t tried these myself, but take a look at these functions

TAP_Channel_GetTotalSubtitleTrack
*TAP_Channel_GetSubtitleTrackName
TAP_Channel_SetSubtitleTrack

If you only use the TAP to enable, and disable subtitles, then it shouldn?t matter if the API can?t read the current value.
Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:53 pm Reply with quote
The Harmony remote can only learn single keystrokes, not a series.

Regarding the state of subtitles, I would normally know whether they were on or off before wanting to toggle, so the menu not reflecting whether they were already on or off would not be a problem.

Paul B
simonc
Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:55 pm Reply with quote
I'll have a play this evening and see what I can come up with. That is assuming the Toppy isn't being used for a recording frenzy like last night Smile
Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Ok, thanks

PaulB
simonc
Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:52 am Reply with quote
Here it is. It's rudimentary - it just sends a series of keystrokes but hopefully is what you're after.

http://www.geocities.com/simon_capewell/uksubtitle.html
nwhitfield
Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:18 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9519 Location: London
Now in the TAP database

http://www.toppy.org.uk/downloads/info.php?tid=150

Nigel.

Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Simon

The UK Subtitles TAP works fine and does all that I need. I found one problem, though not serious. I could not get to the menu using EXIT while the Display tap was loaded. However as soon as I stopped that tap I could set the Subtitle tap to the key I wanted, so it is no real hardship. After rebooting it works fine with the Display TAP.

Thanks very much for putting in the effort on this.

Paul B
simonc
Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:34 am Reply with quote
Glad you like it! It was quite an easy one to put together. I'd have liked it to toggle between subtitles on and off at the press of a button rather than by menu but the API available to taps just doesn't support it well enough.

I think the display tap had some issues passing the Exit key on to other taps, though I think this has been fixed recently. It's worth upgrading to 1.20 because deadbeef has fixes some reboot bugs.
Davidhs
Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 24 Oct 2005 Posts: 32
I do not yet a PVR but like the look of the Toppy. It would be a strong candidate if the subtitle question can be properly resolved.
From what I have read, I understand this TAP does its best in the face of inadequate subtitle support in the basic box. ... and thanks to the developer for that much.

My view of the requirement is the capability to toggle subtitles on & off with one button press. Like an earlier contributor, I am not so bothered if there is an indication of current status.

In a news programme for example, the speakers and their voices vary. Some one can understand; for others the subtitles are essential.
Subtitles can sometimes get in the way of text on the screen, for example when quoting an official report etc. So one needs to be able to quickly toggle subtitles off to read it.

What is the best way to get Topfield to pay attention to the subtitle requirement and provide an optimum solution? Is there any other discussion of the subtitle issue elsewhere?

Thanks
David HS
mikatt
Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 05 May 2005 Posts: 102 Location: Hampshire UK
I use a HomeTheatreMaster 500 universal remote and have set up a macro to toggle subtitles on and off, not instant on and off but probably as fast as it can be done

Mike