Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  TAPs  ~  Channel Organiser B1.2

Page 1 of 22
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
EMJB
Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 08 Jul 2005 Posts: 3469 Location: Maldon Essex
This a new TAP to replace both Channel Manager and Favourites Manager, but with some of the more exotic features removed. I have also removed the features required by MyStuff version 5.x but not required by 6.x. The main features are:

? Channel scan - can be limited to current transmitter channels or groups of channels corresponding to the various aerial groups. Scanning only the current channels avoids the introduction of duplicate channels and minimises the scan time. A Factory Reset is performed, but your system settings are restored immediately afterwards, and timers can re re-instated ? see below.

? Channel deletion - allows deletion of unwanted channels (be they duplicates or just channels of no interest). To assist in the deletion of duplicates, a signal quality rating can be displayed.

? Timer regeneration/update ? allows timers to be reinstated on the correct channel after scan and/or channel deletion.

? Favourites updates ? allows either native or MyStuff favourites to be updated and re-ordered.

? Control file updates for TF5000 Display TAP, eit2mei, rt2mei, and EPG2MEI using a database file which can be separately updated.

It also appears to work correctly on the TF5810, and *should* work with Freeview+ firmware on other models.

See here for more details, and download from here.

I have done dozens of successful channel scans with this, but can not guarrantee it will work on all models all of the time, so I strongly recommend not usig it just before that "not to be missed" recording.

N.B. This is very definitely a "UK Only" TAP, and will refuse to run on other models.

Feedback please!

EMJB

Last edited by EMJB on Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:55 pm; edited 4 times in total
glenmcfar
Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 07 Dec 2006 Posts: 4519 Location: Dundonald, Ayrshire, Scotland
Great, a TAP that will negate the need for Channel Manager, Favourites Manager AND FastScan all at once. And just in time for The Great Channel Rescan of 2009!

Will play with (and criticise constructively) as soon as possible. Keep up the good work...

Glen.

EMJB
Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:39 pm Reply with quote
glenmcfar wrote:
Great, a TAP that will negate the need for ... FastScan ....

This was not the intention. FastScanGui incorporates at least three extra features - the transmitter channel database which will make digital changeovers much easier, the temporary application of the Hs patch to speed searches, and the ability to automatically initiate a channel scan when all channels have been lost at boot-up.

My aim has been to make routine re-scanning for new channels and changed LCNs painless rather than to make R2-D2's TAP redundant.

EMJB
alan_m
Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Oct 2006 Posts: 3189 Location: Southchurch Village, Southend-on-Sea
EMJB wrote:

• Channel scan - can be limited to current transmitter channels or groups of channels corresponding to the various aerial groups.

Scanning only the current channels avoids the introduction of duplicate channels and minimises the scan time.

To me this is possibly the wrong algorithm.
i) The current transmitter may not be the correct one for the area. In my location my aerial picks up from 3 transmitters. I need to only scan for one of these. If someone using this TAP has previously used the Toppy native scan and has then perhaps deleted the wrong duplicates from which transmitter is the new scan being taken? With Fastscan there is the option for choosing the correct transmitter.

ii) How many are going to select the wideband aerial option because they have a "digital" aerial.

Quote:

• Channel deletion - allows deletion of unwanted channels (be they duplicates or just channels of no interest). To assist in the deletion of duplicates, a signal quality rating can be displayed.

On my 5800 the full page information (help) screen was incomplete. There was a large area in the top right hand corner missing - possibly the same area that the picture occupies in the Toppy's native EPG screen.

The bottom eighth of the screen was also blank - about the same area in the native EPG where the instruction box lives.

The full page information did get written but was immediately overwritten with the blank areas.

I guessed that OK was the way to proceed.

After the scan my Toppy appeared to work OK but on selecting the EPG (EPGNavigator) the box reset itself and then performed a Verifying Files and Folders.

[Update]
Booting the machine TAPless and then running this TAP allows it to work.

[Update 2]
Run the TAP for a second time without going into standby
Allow the TAP to scan for channles
Allow the TAP to enter the channel deletion screen
Press text for the help screen
The Toppy is now locked up - OK or Text does not exit the help screen
The power/standby button still works

It looks as if this TAP may only be reliable from a clean TAPless boot.

EMJB
Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Sorry to hear of your problems, Alan.

alan_m wrote:
To me this is possibly the wrong algorithm.
i) The current transmitter may not be the correct one for the area. In my location my aerial picks up from 3 transmitters. I need to only scan for one of these. If someone using this TAP has previously used the Toppy native scan and has then perhaps deleted the wrong duplicates from which transmitter is the new scan being taken? With Fastscan there is the option for choosing the correct transmitter.
As I explained in my previous post, it is not my intention to replace FastScanGui - the fundamental assumption is that you use FastScanGui or whatever else you fancy to get your Tx channels right, which will then be correct for years once the DSO is over.

alan_m wrote:
ii) How many are going to select the wideband aerial option because they have a "digital" aerial.
Perhaps not many, but if you can't be bothered to check and don't want to use FastScanGui you use this and then the star ratings to decide which Tx channels to delete. Channel Organiser will then stick with your remaining channels till the next major upheaval.

alan_m wrote:
On my 5800 the full page information (help) screen was incomplete. There was a large area in the top right hand corner missing - possibly the same area that the picture occupies in the Toppy's native EPG screen. The bottom eighth of the screen was also blank - about the same area in the native EPG where the instruction box lives. The full page information did get written but was immediately overwritten with the blank areas.
Have never seen this, nor have any of the volunteer testers reported this, but all are MS users, so I wonder whether this is connected with EPGNavigator in some way. Would be grateful if you could try shutting down EPGN first, and/or others using EPGN could comment.

alan_m wrote:
After the scan my Toppy appeared to work OK but on selecting the EPG (EPGNavigator) the box reset itself and then performed a Verifying Files and Folders.
Sounds as if EPGN is thrown by the sudden change in channel line up.

If you and/or others can confirm the EPGN connection to your problems, and if EPGN is TSR-Commander compatible (i.e. can close it with TAP Commander), the solution is fairly simple - I will close down EPGN at the begiining and reboot it at the end.

EMJB
alan_m
Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Oct 2006 Posts: 3189 Location: Southchurch Village, Southend-on-Sea
EMJB wrote:

If you and/or others can confirm the EPGN connection to your problems,
EMJB

Running TAP less sorts the problems. Running EPGN afterwards doesn't cause a reboot. As I need to leave the Toppy stable state for tonight, I have reverted back to other TAPs to get the scan/channels back to where I had them.

I don't know when it occurred [it may have been weeks ago ;( ] but I've checked that the defaults are back to where they should be and noticed that the AV Output Setting the TV type had been set to 'multi' rather than 'pal'.

EMJB
Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:37 pm Reply with quote
[quote=alan_m]
[Update]
Booting the machine TAPless and then running this TAP allows it to work.

[Update 2]
Run the TAP for a second time without going into standby
Allow the TAP to scan for channles
Allow the TAP to enter the channel deletion screen
Press text for the help screen
The Toppy is now locked up - OK or Text does not exit the help screen
The power/standby button still works

It looks as if this TAP may only be reliable from a clean TAPless boot.[/quote]

Saw your updates after generating my previous reply. Your first update seems to confirm that the problem may well be EPGN-related - it certainly runs happily with MS (5.62a & 6.0 betas) and a range of other TAPs. If you you can confirm that you can close down EPGN fro TAP Commander, I will produce a version of Channel Organiser that shuts it down and restarts it.

Have tried to reproduce your second problem with the help screen not disappearing, but failed - it clears every time for me. This is an area I changed at the last minute, so I could have introduced some obscure bug. I would be very surprised if rebooting the machine affected this. Did you actually try this when you said all was well in your first update?

EMJB
R2-D2
Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Dec 2006 Posts: 12149
EMJB wrote:
FastScanGui incorporates at least three extra features - the transmitter channel database which will make digital changeovers much easier, the temporary application of the Hs patch to speed searches, and the ability to automatically initiate a channel scan when all channels have been lost at boot-up.
(I'd be happy to give you as much of a head start with those bits as you'd like, if you want to add them.)

Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:48 pm Reply with quote
alan_m wrote:
Running TAP less sorts the problems.
but a need to do that would largely defeat the objective of a user-friendly solution to the changing programme channels!
alan_m wrote:
Running EPGN afterwards doesn't cause a reboot.
That tends to confirm my guess as to the problem - EPGN will be trying to access a channel that is suddenly not there, or has changed in some crucial way. When you restart EPGN it will look to see what channels are there, and be quite happy. Can someone please check whether you can stop EPGN with TAP Commander?

alan_m wrote:
I don't know when it occurred [it may have been weeks ago ;( ] but I've checked that the defaults are back to where they should be and noticed that the AV Output Setting the TV type had been set to 'multi' rather than 'pal'.
I was aware that there is a problem, but got the description wrong in my list of limitations. It has not been reported as a problem on Channel Manager which behaved in the same way. Presumably it is not actaully affecting you.

EMJB

EMJB
glenmcfar
Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 07 Dec 2006 Posts: 4519 Location: Dundonald, Ayrshire, Scotland
EMJB - Is there any way to perform a single operation, ie ONLY edit the Favourite Lists without having to untoggle the Channel Scan option first?

Glen.

alan_m
Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:59 pm Reply with quote
EMJB wrote:

Have tried to reproduce your second problem with the help screen not disappearing, but failed - it clears every time for me. This is an area I changed at the last minute, so I could have introduced some obscure bug. I would be very surprised if rebooting the machine affected this. Did you actually try this when you said all was well in your first update?

EMJB

I ran the TAP successfully with a clean boot (disabling all TAPs). I realised that I hadn't seen the the help screen that was incomplete during this successful run. I ran the TAP immediately again and waited until I got into the remove channels screen. I then pressed 'text' to get the help screen - but I couldn't get out of it.

I'll have to leave any further testing until Monday as I have much more important things to do Smile - a beer festival to go to in around half an hour and a busy weekend.

EMJB
Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:13 pm Reply with quote
R2-D2 wrote:
I'd be happy to give you as much of a head start with those bits as you'd like, if you want to add them.

Thanks for the offer, but I certainly don't want to start adding more features until the present features are working adequately for everyone.

The other issue as far as I am concerned would be maintenance of the transmitter "database", especially over the change-over period - it would be crazy if we had separate ones, and it is the sort of task I hate doing. The only circumstance I would even remotely consider implementing the equivalent of the "Gui" in "FastScanGui" would be if there was a suitable volunteer to maintain a "Freeview.dat" extended to include this information.

Thanks again,

EMJB
EMJB
Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:23 pm Reply with quote
glenmcfar wrote:
EMJB - Is there any way to perform a single operation, ie ONLY edit the Favourite Lists without having to untoggle the Channel Scan option first?

There is a feature I used for testing that does this which I have hidden for two reasons:

(1) I didn't come up with a clean presentation.

(2) It encourages people to do things like scans without updating ini files.

I was thinking of re-instating it for just deletions onwards, but wanted to get something out before MS 6. I will pm you the access method.

EMJB
glenmcfar
Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Many thanks.

Glen.

R2-D2
Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:57 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Dec 2006 Posts: 12149
EMJB wrote:
The other issue as far as I am concerned would be maintenance of the transmitter "database"
I have so far had three different schemes, but the latest one is a postcode-based scraping of the DigitalUK site's information for trade people. This produces something that I can just dump into the C file to fill out a structure, but it could easily produce a CSV file (or similar). Although I don't see any need for a "central" database of this info -- people can just as easily download a new TAP as they can the new data file (and in fact they are much more likely to do the former).