Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Bugs  ~  System reboots - verifying files and folders

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
iankirkpatrick
Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:13 pm Reply with quote
TF5800 PVR - Problem started a week ago - screen blanks out when watching live tv - then popup with Verifying files and folders - on completion the screen is refreshed. Scheduled recordings stop recording - although there is still an entry in the archive (with 0 data) and any future scheduled recordings suffer the same problem. I've updated to the latest firmware / I've run the factory reset / I'm not running any taps - but the problem persists - any ideas please ?? unit is over two years old and this is the first problem
chunkywizard
Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:18 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 13 May 2005 Posts: 9305 Location: Sindlesham, Berkshire Tx: Hannington
Sounds like a hard drive problem/ PSU problem to me. Do a site search and you will find people with similar issues and how to diagnose/ correct them.

HTH

CW

jumbo
Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Apr 2005 Posts: 4733
As suggested read the PSU threads and start with this repair guide from a novice DIY'er.
juwlz
Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:18 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10353 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
... and STOP USING IT - completely - switch it off at the wall - until you've either repaired or replaced the PSU or established that that's definitely not the problem, or you'll soon find yourself with some more expensive repairs to do.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
Gordon41
Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:05 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 20 Dec 2005 Posts: 135 Location: Leicester
Hi All.

I had a VF&F event last night too, BBC One reception was suffering because of heavy rain and I was experiencing blocking and picture freezing. A program was recording on E4 (Hollyoaks for my wife and daughter) and the signal for that was fine. I was monitoring the BBC signal level using MyStuff and suddenly the Toppy rebooted and did the VF&F thing.

It then popped up a dialog to comfirm that I wanted to reformat the disk to which I selected cancel (I'm sure I did but maybe I picked the wrong one Confused ) but was left in a state where most of the disk was empty and I had a couple of folders I could see with Altair with some files in, but couildn't get back out of using the back button.

Eventually I was forced into re-formatted the disk and I then spent the evening re-loading my taps back on Evil or Very Mad

Oh, yes, I have done the capacitor mod Very Happy

Cheers Gordon

juwlz
Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:46 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10353 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
Too late now, but if it's out of warranty, you could have taken the drive out and hooked it up to a PC (e.g. in a USB caddy) and used tools on that to recover at least some of your recordings.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
Gordon41
Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 20 Dec 2005 Posts: 135 Location: Leicester
juwlz wrote:
Too late now, but if it's out of warranty, you could have taken the drive out and hooked it up to a PC (e.g. in a USB caddy) and used tools on that to recover at least some of your recordings.

Julie

HI Julie.

Yeah, it is out of warranty. Fortunately I there wasn't much in the way of programmes I was desperate to keep, I can live without Hollyoaks Wink , so I decided to blow it away and start again.

The only programme I could do with is the last Ashes to Ashes (request made in Programmes thread) as the rest of the series is on another Toppy I have. I was not able to use it to record the last episode though.

Cheers Gordon.

bombp99
Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:59 pm Reply with quote
iankirkpatrick - Did you find your problem and solution ? Having the same issue... System keeps rebooting and verifying files and folders. Tried the PSU fix and new hard drive (Tried SATA )
With SATA idea went for Valiant idea eg http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1328&start=510
but toppy just kept rebooting would sometimes get to the menu for installation but then reboot again... gave up and went back to putting the old hard drive back in. Just kept rebooting again....
Power off and then some how it stayed in the installation menu so tried went for formating the old drive. Come up with some funny screen. Rebooted it and this time managed to get the harddrive to format. Seems to be working to scard to put MyStuff back incase it breaks it... Any idea's ?
bombp99
Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:59 am Reply with quote
Hi all, ***UPDATE*** I change all the cpacitors except C25. Change that one and now everything is working prefectly for the last few weeks.... NB if you are going to change the capacitors change all six !! eg C17, C18, C22 and C23, C19 & C25 !!!

On the hard drive change - went for Valiant idea's and that is working prefectly too now that C25 is changed... Laughing
ryclark
Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 10 Jul 2005 Posts: 1557 Location: Shropshire
Yes C25 is important since it is in the 3.3V line which supplies the processor. So anything may (does) happen if that line goes low.

a6rrw
Posted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:27 pm Reply with quote
I have read a few responses here but none of them seem to fit for me.
Like others I get an intermittent Verifying Files and Folders message - probably every day, and thus miss any programmes which are being recorded at the time. I can still see the files in the archive and can watch them for as long as they managed to record before the VFF message flashed up.This has been happening for about 1 month now.

I have a 4 year old 5800 and about 9 months ago (ish) after my machine failed totally, I had all the capacitors changed by a contributor to this site and he did an excellent and very quick job for me. After that it worked perfectly again. I then fitted a seagate 500gb disk and it worked perferctly.

Since then I have installed the latest firmware, quickjump1.72, mystuff 5.62c, myinfo B1 and mcgCYRResume V1.0. None of this however in the last 3 months.

I dont think the capacitors will have gone again and I dont think it is a hard drive problem so any ideas please?

Posted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:27 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 13 May 2005 Posts: 9305 Location: Sindlesham, Berkshire Tx: Hannington
Try deleting mcgCYRResume. If you are running the recommended firmware you don't need it and it may be causing some of the issues.

CW

jumbo
Posted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Apr 2005 Posts: 4733
a6rrw wrote:
I then fitted a seagate 500gb disk and it worked perferctly.
So the question is: How does the power specification of your disk compare to the original? Some people (mistakenly) think that it is perfectly ok to replace the Toppy hard drive with another. That is not true as replacement drives with higher spin-up current and general power requirement will put undue stress on the PSU which will, in time, fail. Also they may generate more heat which also reduces the life span of electronic components. It is not just the capacitors that can cause PSU problems. Of course the disk itself may have developed a fault. If the drive supports S.M.A.R.T then you can run the HDDInfo TAP and post the results here (the TAP will tell you the capability of your disk). You can also use Seagate's own disk drive utilities to check the health of the drive.
Quote:
I dont think the capacitors will have gone again and I dont think it is a hard drive problem
So think again and check voltages and your disk - both!
a6rrw
Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:24 pm Reply with quote
thanks for the suggestions. What I did was take off all the TAPs and now although I have reduced functionality it is working perfectly again. I didnt believe it was the capacitors again nor the replacement hard drive and it seems that they were not the problem anyway.

Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Jun 2007 Posts: 1446 Location: Norwich
Perhaps you let us know what the Taps were? There may be something in there that caused the problem.