Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Firmwares, enhancements and upgrades  ~  Rowridge upgrade on 25 March - will I need to upgrade Toppy?

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
malw
Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:14 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 29 May 2006 Posts: 31 Location: Bournemouth
Hi! I've had my Toppy for about 3 years - clean, no TAPS, and no problems (touches wood!). With the upcoming changes to Rowridge and the scanning problems mentioned, I'd appreciate it if you could advise if I need to upgrade the Toppy firmware. System info is below - the only upgrade was done OTA so I've had no experience with using a computer to do it. I have a laptop so no problem with access to the Toppy. What do I need to download apart from the required firmware in order to connect to and update the Toppy? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Smile

System ID: 456
Loader V. C1.01
Device V. 5.3.35
Software V. TF-NPT 5.13.40
H/ware V. v1.00
Last update: 9 Feb 2007

Thanks!!
Mal
R2-D2
Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:49 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Dec 2006 Posts: 12149
You'll probably need a NIT-fixed firmware at least. See recommendations.

Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:10 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Oct 2005 Posts: 1783
Assuming you are using a PC, you need Topfield Tools for Windows.

Download a recommended firmware, as above.

Then use TFDN-USB (included in the Tools) to upgrade your Toppy to the new firmware.

You may also wish to look at the ChannelManager TAP to help with re-scans.

A 5800 and a 5810 still in use with various dead ones and bits lying around, one Toppy with UPS and dedicated aerial; MyStuff 6.6; QuickJump 1.72; EPG2 MEI; Various remotes - URC1056B01 (my fav.), URC11-7140 R02 (to learn new codes) programmed using tools from the excellent JP1 site.
gomezz
Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:19 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Nov 2005 Posts: 3963 Location: Buckingham
underquark wrote:
You may also wish to look at the ChannelManager TAP to help with re-scans.

In combination with first using the FastScanGUI TAP to limit the search to only the frequencies used by your local transmitter. Makes the channel rescan faster and eliminates the chance of picking up duplicate rogue channels from a neighbouring transmitter.

malw
Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:31 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the help, guys! My laptop is a PC with Windows XP Pro.

I presume from the recommendations that the best option is the 5.13.65N upgrade. If I use this will I also need to add any patches or are they all included? Also will I need to do a factory reset before or after the upgrade?

Hopefully none of the above actions will affect the recordings on my hard drive?

Sorry, but not done this before and need reassurance before trying it! Confused
juwlz
Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:29 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10802 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
malw wrote:
I presume from the recommendations that the best option is the 5.13.65N upgrade. If I use this will I also need to add any patches or are they all included? Also will I need to do a factory reset before or after the upgrade?
"All" patches is quite a list ... most of which you probably don't really want.

The firmware (and Windows loader for it) that you can get here includes more bug fix patches than 5.13.65N.

You need to do the factory reset after the upgrade.
Quote:
Hopefully none of the above actions will affect the recordings on my hard drive?
No, they won't.

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
malw
Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:29 am Reply with quote
Thank you for your help - I've downloaded all the files I need (I hope!) and will have a go at updating this weekend.

I might be back!! Wink
gyles
Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 13 Nov 2006 Posts: 66
gomezz wrote:
In combination with first using the FastScanGUI TAP to limit the search to only the frequencies used by your local transmitter. Makes the channel rescan faster and eliminates the chance of picking up duplicate rogue channels from a neighbouring transmitter.

Although I think the channel numbers will need to be entered manually - the pre-programmed values won't be correct after this shuffle.
juwlz
Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:40 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10802 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
OK. I give in.
Have just brought a second Toppy to my parents' house in Southampton (Rowridge transmitter), and like the last one, it refuses to find any channels using channel search in Automatic mode. This Toppy has had the capacitors in the PSU replaced.

I've tried it with Antenna Supply 5V Off and On (just a long shot), but neither way works.

I can't believe we've fried another tuner - not AFTER changing the caps!

Attempting to search in Manual mode, the only channels available to choose in the menu are 40, 43, and 46. I have no idea whether this is normal, or which one to choose, and am loathe to keep stressing it by blindly trying to tune over and over again.

Signal level is hovering around the 61% mark (give or take 2-3% either way). I'm pretty certain we don't get any worse than that at home, where it was working perfectly.

Oddly, TAPs in Autostart are running (possibly because I haven't done an explicit Factory reset - but at least I can use MyStuff's archive to see the recordings done at home at the moment). However, I can't get to the Toppy native menu to access FastScanGUI (even if I knew how to tell it what to do after the recent shake-up ... whatever that did. If I had a way of telling it that, I could move FastScanGUI to Auto Start (using Altair - I have my laptop with me).

On inital startup, we see the native channel info box, and then the good old "No signal at Tuner 2" message - despite using the exact same loop cable that was working fine at home. PiP, PiPSw makes not difference. It still complains about no signal at tuner 2.

Aerial feed from the Toppy's Tuner 2 Out and into the TV works fine.

Any ideas please?
About to go out, but will be back here tomorrow morning.

Julie

R2-D2
Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:05 pm Reply with quote
juwlz wrote:
Attempting to search in Manual mode, the only channels available to choose in the menu are 40, 43, and 46.
That sounds like it's been setup with FastScanGUI and has been [Hs]-ed (a good thing for Auto mode). If you think the channels are wrong, do a Factory Reset to go back to the old, slow setup and then run FastScanGUI again, or remove [Hs] and try manually checking various channels.

Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:18 am Reply with quote
Well spotted that man.
Full Auto Scan worked just fine after a factory reset.

What's the current situation with FastScanGUI, specifically in connection with the Rowridge transmitter? I can't find the thread now, but I'm sure I saw a post from you recently that said the data was up the spout since they tinkered with it a couple of weeks ago.

Julie

R2-D2
Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:32 am Reply with quote
As in this thread's title, it hasn't happened yet -- has it? I'll do a new FastScanGUI with the extra choice of new Rowridge details soon, once I've figured out how to cope with the more common future issue of DSO (probably extra choices, until we're all changed over).

Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Doh! I read it as 25 Feb, for some reason.

There are definitely some issues with ITV channels here (which seem to keep appearing and disappearing), but that may be a local (aerial) problem. The TV has prompted for a scan, which I've now done, but it may just be that my parents haven't bothered saying OK to it so far.

Will see how it goes.

Julie

R2-D2
Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:39 pm Reply with quote
They are doing a lot of engineering work in preparation for the changeover. And the changeover is deemed necessary because of interference from changes in other areas. Sounds like you're going to be in for a fun time for some time to come.

Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:12 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 14 Jul 2006 Posts: 42 Location: Southampton, UK
As I understand it, it's a combination of potential interference from French transmitters and the liklihood of interfering with the French reception when our freeview signals get boosted, as well as accommodating anything that is affected by the move of C5 currently transmitted from Fawley power station.

I had trouble a few days ago with funny characters in the RPG (possibly due to the Rowridge work, possibly just coincidence) causing EIT2MEI to crash on load and when I rescanned got caught by the NIT problem. A firmware upgrade (a doddle thanks to Firebird's excellent HDRW TAP, cheers pal) and a rescan sorted it and Toppy appears to be as reliable as ever - for now at least Laughing

KRs
Chris