Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Firmwares, enhancements and upgrades  ~  Wrestling with TopfHDRW

Page 1 of 1
Clwyd
Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:08 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 08 Nov 2006 Posts: 28 Location: Ruthin, N.Wales
Having upgraded the HDD, I now want to transfer files from old to new. There are a lot of recordings, going back a number of years. The old HDD is the original 250gb that came with the Toppy and still operates normally.

I've put both drives into a PC to do a fast direct copy. HDRW flags file corruptions on the old disk and restricts it to read only - which is OK as I only want to copy from it. I am struggling to transfer the REC files across to the new 750mb disk, although 1 from 2009 & 1 from 2012 have been successfully copied. I've also tried copying to the PC's main drive - with the same result.

I'm using Version V0.21.8 of HDRW, which I think is current. The error box reads:
Error 9
Subscript out of range, FSD Buffer Read
FSDataBufferRead_DoCopy_Command1_Click

Is there any chance? Sad

™
andyfras
Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3095 Location: Fleet, Hampshire (Hannington)
I think that you'll need to use the check disk facility to repair the errors on the drive. Keep clicking 'Ignore' to get to the end (you can keep your finger on the 'i' key for multiple errors).

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 1TB with fan, Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScUUuWfZ
Clwyd
Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:40 pm Reply with quote
I tried ignoring, I must admit not for too long - because the error box was instantaneously back again every time - and most of the files are in excess of 1Gb. What concerns me is that if the drive has amassed a lot of errors, the 'fix' may lose some (if not all) the files.
As an experiment I used the usb port, copied a 'corrupted' file to the PC using Antares, then over to the new drive. Success! I know it's long-winded, but I can set the PC to copy a 20-ish Gb batch. Then use TopfHDRW to quickly paste them onto the new drive.

Meanwhile I'll pester SWMBO to watch some of her backlog!!

™
andyfras
Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3095 Location: Fleet, Hampshire (Hannington)
Copying via USB is the best way if the disk is still readable while in your Toppy.

There is a strong chance that TopfHDDoctor would delete everything if there are excessive 'Error 9's. Then your only option would be Scan&Match, which is a very lengthy process and would only rescue some recordings (some deleted ones too).

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 1TB with fan, Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScUUuWfZ
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Jan 2007 Posts: 3132 Location: Bristol ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ Windows XP, USB
If you are going to copy files off the disk using USB then you should apply the USB accelerator patches ([U] and [Uu]); these will significantly increase the speed of transfers (although this prevents the use of the remote and recordings when Turbo is selected)

Note: Your version of Altair won't work after applying these patches - to fix, use the TopManager "Tools| DLLs| Show" command and position to the dll used by Altair. Then right click and "Fix DLL" (or whatever it is called). If copying files with Altair, you can only set Turbo mode before the transfer starts (you can't change the Turbo setting until it has completed)

Instead of using Altair to copy the files, I suggest you install Antares on the pc. This has a more up-to-date interface and will be less error prone e.g. it will automatically replace invalid characters in file names (Altair will just copy for ages and then fail). I believe that you can also toggle Turbo mode while copying (I haven't used it myself).

Transferring via USB is very slow so you need to be selective about what you really need to keep. If you can get the lot off then don't forget to copy the MyStuff data files (so that it remembers what you have recorded and can handle chained recordings- use TM Snapshot|| Take?). If the disk is still readable, you could leave it copying over several consecutive nights i.e. use the toppy during the evening and copy when you are not using it (don't forget to disable any overnight shutdown by MyStuff). Assuming Turbo can be toggled, you can even leave it running all the time and just turn Turbo off when you want to interact with the toppy.

After copying off the recordings and, before you remove the old disk, use TM "Snapshot| Take", put the new disk in and format it, Then use "Snapshot| Compare/Manage" to put \ProgramFiles back on the new disk. Finally, put the new disk into the pc and copy the recordings to it using TopfHDRW (this will be faster than copying across USB)

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; QuickJump 1.72; MyInfo B5.6; Font Manager 1.0d; EPG2MEI v0.96; CrashTrace v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; Extend v1.7; WSSkiller V2.12d; SecCache (UK) v0.4; MyStuff 6.5;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 6/9/13
™
Clwyd
Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:17 pm Reply with quote
@ Geoff Bacon

Thanks for the info. I did mention in my post that I use Antares (with Win7 64bit) so Altair is not an issue.

Do the USB accelerator patches still apply with Antares? - I am guessing they probably do.

The "Snapshot" function sounds excellent. Tell me, as I already have some files on the new disk, will it overwrite \ProgramFiles completely or will it just add new data to the existing file - if I don't reformat?

™
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Jan 2007 Posts: 3132 Location: Bristol ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ Windows XP, USB
The Snapshot| Take function copies all the files to the pc (takes 2-3 minutes).

The Snapshot| Compare/Manage function displays a tree (?) of folders and files; you can check which are restored (check a folder if you want everything below it, check individual files if you want to be selective).
Note: the file masks are performed using the dates of the files and not the contents i.e. if a file has the same date as when it was saved then it is assumed that the file hasn't changed. In your case, you could find it treats all files as having changed (it depends on how you copied/created the files on the new disk). Your best bet is to do the Snapshot| Take anyway and then cherry pick what you put back (you can always get it later if you decide you need it).

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; QuickJump 1.72; MyInfo B5.6; Font Manager 1.0d; EPG2MEI v0.96; CrashTrace v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; Extend v1.7; WSSkiller V2.12d; SecCache (UK) v0.4; MyStuff 6.5;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 6/9/13
™