Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Firmwares, enhancements and upgrades  ~  Toppy.org Firmware Loader

Page 7 of 9
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
EMJB
Posted: Fri May 15, 2009 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 08 Jul 2005 Posts: 3469 Location: Maldon Essex
With regards to the "no internet connection" problem, I am now fairly sure this is because it thinks IE is in its off-line mode. Before I remove this check, could those experiencing problems please open IE, select the "Files" menu, and let us know whther "Work Offline" has a tick against it?

EMJB
EMJB
Posted: Fri May 15, 2009 12:58 pm Reply with quote
oakave wrote:
Firmware loader connects and I go for the recommended 5800 firmware. It works.. or seems to and gives a success notice. Very Happy
but now the toppy just keeps going through the same blue screen "installing new firmware" progress. ending up in "F/W installed will now try re-boot..." before turning off and on again to say "looking for optional ini file" "ini file not found" and going through the whole routine again, and again...

As Nigel has suggested, for some reason FwLoad.tap failed to delete itself from Auto Start. As no one else has reported this problem, it seems unlikely (but certainly not impossible!) that is a software bug and I can only assume that somehow the file name got currupted in the transfer from the PC, so it couldn't find itself to delete.

If anyone else sees this problem, could they please check the precise file name before deleting.

EMJB
seadog
Posted: Sat May 16, 2009 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 21 Jan 2007 Posts: 88 Location: I.O.W.
With regards to the "no internet connection" problem, I am now fairly sure this is because it thinks IE is in its off-line mode. Before I remove this check, could those experiencing problems please open IE, select the "Files" menu, and let us know whther "Work Offline" has a tick against it?

EMJB

Sorry I'm as thick as two short planks. Every time I try to open Internet explorer I get my ISP home page so I can't find the Files menu. Would the fact that I am using Explorer 8 be a factor in my computer not accepting the installation of the Firmware loader?

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; EPG2MEI v0.96; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; SecCache (UK) v0.4; MyStuff 6.5; QuickJump 1.66; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; MyInfo B5.6; FFWD v0.7; MHEG On/Off A3; (MHEG State Patcher V2);
Sig generated by MyInfo on 2/4/14
EMJB
Posted: Sat May 16, 2009 4:37 pm Reply with quote
seadog wrote:
Every time I try to open Internet explorer I get my ISP home page so I can't find the Files menu. Would the fact that I am using Explorer 8 be a factor in my computer not accepting the installation of the Firmware loader?

Don't know IE8 - I'm on IE7 where you click on "File" (sorry not "Files") at left of screen near the top.

EMJB
R2-D2
Posted: Sat May 16, 2009 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Dec 2006 Posts: 12149
Maybe press Alt first to make the menu bar appear.

Posted: Sun May 17, 2009 8:31 am Reply with quote
Having used R2-D2's dodge with Alt key I can answer the question. There is no tick alongside Work Offline in the File column.

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; EPG2MEI v0.96; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; SecCache (UK) v0.4; MyStuff 6.5; QuickJump 1.66; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; MyInfo B5.6; FFWD v0.7; MHEG On/Off A3; (MHEG State Patcher V2);
EMJB
Posted: Sun May 17, 2009 4:19 pm Reply with quote
seadog wrote:
Having used R2-D2's dodge with Alt key I can answer the question. There is no tick alongside Work Offline in the File column.

Thanks for the feedback. I am now fairly confident that there is something funny (dara I say bug??) in some combinations of Vista and IE. Could you please:

(1) Download the installer as before, but this time ensure you are using a permanent temporary directory such as C:\temp rather than one allocated by Windows.

(2) Download a new version of SetUp called "SetUpExp.exe" from here into the same directory. Do not try to run it from elsewhere or will not find the necessary files.

(3) Run SetUpExp.exe instead of SetUp.exe and let us know whether it solves your problem.

TIA,

EMJB
seadog
Posted: Tue May 19, 2009 8:05 am Reply with quote
Sorry. I got the same results as before. I tried it both with and without firewall.

Log file for installation of Toppy Firmware Installer
Finished @ 08:53:29 on 19/05/2009
--------------------------

Starting main installation script activities
Line 2: DisplayProgress:Off
Switching progress display off
Line 3: MsgTime:1.5
Line 4: SelectFinalCleanUp:
Selecting final clean up to remove all downloaded etc files
Line 5: ShowMessage: Setting up configuration and appearance
Setting up configuration and appearance
Line 6: Title: Toppy Firmware Installer
Title set to "Toppy Firmware Installer"
Line 7: Background=RGB(255,255,255)
Setting main background colour to RGB(255,255,255)
Line 8: TitleText=RGB(142,30,2Cool
Setting title text colour to RGB(142,30,2Cool
Line 9: TitleFontSize: 35
Setting title font size to 35
Line 10: ProgressText=RGB(142,30,2Cool
Setting progress text colour to RGB(142,30,2Cool
Line 11: ProgressBgd=RGB(255,255,255)
Setting progress background colour to RGB(255,255,255)
Line 12: ProgressFontSize: 12
Setting progress font size to 12
Line 13: ProgressText=RGB(142,30,2Cool
Setting progress text colour to RGB(142,30,2Cool
Line 14: ProgressBgd=RGB(255,255,255)
Setting progress background colour to RGB(255,255,255)
Line 15: HelpText=RGB(255,255,255)
Setting help text colour to RGB(255,255,255)
Line 16: HelpBgd=RGB(142,30,2Cool
Setting help background colour to RGB(142,30,2Cool
Line 17: HelpFontSize: 11
Setting help font size to 11
Line 18: InternetConnectionConditional: http://www.toppy.org.uk
Line 22: UserConditional: You do not appear to be currently connected to the internet. Do you want to continue?
You do not appear to be currently connected to the internet. Do you want to continue?
Waiting for answer to "You do not appear to be currently connected to the internet. Do you want to continue?"
Answer to "You do not appear to be currently connected to the internet. Do you want to continue?": Yes
Line 28: LoadFiles:M http://www.toppy.org.uk/~chunkywizard/TAPDownload/FirmwareScripts.zip
Downloading latest version from the internet
Error:Failed to access internet - check your internet connection and firewall settings
About to retry internet download
Error:Failed to access internet - check your internet connection and firewall settings
About to retry internet download
Displaying text file: C:\temp\Install Error.txt
"Source" subdirectory does not exist
Clearing old configuration etc files

[/list]

fhjones
Posted: Thu May 21, 2009 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 24 Feb 2009 Posts: 78
The problem seems to be with Internet Explorer 8. I had the same issue with the Loader saying that I was not online after I installed IE8. I played around with IE8 tools and eventually tried Tools:Internet Options:Advanced:Reset(Internet Explorer Settings). The Loader then worked properly - but I don't know why!

fhj

Last edited by fhjones on Fri May 22, 2009 2:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
EMJB
Posted: Fri May 22, 2009 7:21 am Reply with quote
fhjones wrote:
The problem seems to be with Internet Explorer 8. I had the same issue with the Loader saying that I was not online after I installed IE8. I played around with IE8 tools and eventually tried Tools:Internet Options:Advanced:Reset(Internet Explorer Settings). The Loader then worked properly.

Thanks very much for that. I note the same control is available in IE7, so I would be obliged if seadog and anyone else with similar problems could try this to see if it clears the problem.

EMJB
R2-D2
Posted: Fri May 22, 2009 8:32 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Dec 2006 Posts: 12149
fhjones wrote:
I played around with IE8 tools and eventually tried Tools:Internet Options:Advanced:Reset(Internet Explorer Settings). The Loader then worked properly.
Sounds like it's a security thing to me. Maybe the mechanism EMJB is using has some documentation on appropriate (or inappropriate) IE settings.

Posted: Fri May 22, 2009 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Didn't work for me. Worse than that resetting has caused my laptop to lose all of the website addresses which used to be on the top line. I had to look up toppy address.
I tried the loader in rhe normal mode and then tried it with SetupExp.exe and neither worked.

mr-b
Posted: Fri May 22, 2009 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 04 May 2006 Posts: 641 Location: Warks - Sutton Coldfield tx
Hi

I've just tried Toppy Loader for the first time (used to use MyStuffFirmwareLoader) and it complains about not being able to find the internet. This is on Vista Ultimate/32.

The only apparently relevant lines in the log are:

Line 18: InternetConnectionConditional: http://www.toppy.org.uk
Line 22: UserConditional: You do not appear to be currently connected to the internet. Do you want to continue?
You do not appear to be currently connected to the internet. Do you want to continue?
Waiting for answer to "You do not appear to be currently connected to the internet. Do you want to continue?"
Answer to "You do not appear to be currently connected to the internet. Do you want to continue?": No

TAPs: PcControl B1.3; Macro V1.12; QuickJump 1.72; Extend v1.7; EPG2MEI v0.96; TF5000 Display v1.53; TAP Commander 1.34; MyInfo B5.6; MyStuff 6.5; MHEG Control B2.1; Font Manager 1.0d; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 25/9/13
fhjones
Posted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 24 Feb 2009 Posts: 78
Sorry you lost your website addresses, seadog. I don't use Internet Explorer, so a reset didn't affect me. All that I can say is that the reset worked for me.
seadog
Posted: Sat May 23, 2009 8:21 am Reply with quote
In sheer desperation I'm going to try to re-install IE7 and see if that allows me to load the Firmware Loader - if I can find a copy of IE7 and IE8 lets me delete it.