Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Firmwares, enhancements and upgrades  ~  Toppy.org Firmware Loader

Page 5 of 9
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
chunkywizard
Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:47 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 13 May 2005 Posts: 9277 Location: Sindlesham, Berkshire Tx: Hannington
Hi Nigel,

I have implemented the changes to scripts as requested but I am waiting on EMJB to fix a bug with the application before I can release it. When we have done this I can help on the instructions, prerequisites etc.

HTH

CW

EMJB
Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 08 Jul 2005 Posts: 3433 Location: Maldon Essex
nwhitfield wrote:
I'm aware that this is still in my big pile of pending things...

I can't seem to spot an answer to the question about what people need to have installed as prerequisites for using this tool... and a clear set of instructions (or screen grabs) would be useful, if I'm to put together a page telling other people how to use it.

Where did we get to with all this?

AFAIK the prerequisites are Windows (XP or Vista, anything earlier may or may not not work!), Internet Explorer (but it need not be your default browser) plus the Topfiled tools if you are using a direct USB (as opposed to FTP) connection. However Vista 64 is incompatible with the direct USB connection, but should be OK with FTP.

One might expect the author to be more confident in the answer, but short of rebuilding my machine with just thse components and each Windows variant in turn, it is difficult to sure.

EMJB
James G
Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Hello, I have recently bought a Topfield PVR and have found that when I schedule recordings it doesn't always record the programme that I have set the timer for. A quick read through some fo the posts here suggests that I need to download new firmware from http://www.toppy.org.uk/~chunkywizard/TAPDownload/ToppyFirmwareLoader.zip. I have installed this on my PC (running Windows XP) but when I click 'Start Installation' in the Firmware Loader it cannot connect to my PVR. Looking at the Device Manager on my PC, my computer does not recognise the Topfield through the USB connection.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

James
juwlz
Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:22 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10279 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
I believe you'll need the Topfield Tools for Windows and to get Altair working before you can use the Firmware Loader. (It's a useful thing to do anyway.)

NB: You MUST install the drivers FIRST, BEFORE attempting to connect your Toppy to your PC.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
James G
Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:25 am Reply with quote
Thanks Julie, after I'd had problems connecting, I installed the Topfield Tools for Windows but I had connected my PVR before this - I guess that is where I went wrong...! I'll try re-connecting now my PC has been off...

Many thanks

James
juwlz
Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:27 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10279 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
I think you'll need to tweak things on the PC first to uninstall what Windows has unhelpfully partly mucked up. Hopefully others will be along with more details soon, or you could check the Computer Connections section.

Julie

James G
Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Hi Julie, thanks for the tips! With the Topfield connected to my PC I went into Device Manager and hit Uninstall Driver for the unrecognised device and then unplugged and replugged the USB cable. The PC recognised it and the Install Hardware Wizard did it's thing. Seems to be working so far...!

Cheers

James
juwlz
Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:06 pm Reply with quote
James G wrote:
... Uninstall Driver for the unrecognised device and then unplugged and replugged the USB cable. The PC recognised it and the Install Hardware Wizard did it's thing.
I'm amazed. I would only expect it to work if you did the Uninstallation and then unplugged it, and left it unplugged until after you'd installed the Topfield drivers WITHOUT the Toppy connected. Still, as long as it works, I guess that's the main thing. Maybe somebody who understands how these things work can explain why it worked for you.

Julie

nwhitfield
Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:54 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9511 Location: London
I'll try and do this over the easter weekend.

As there may be a bit of confusion for users who are using very old firmwares, can we have a rundown of which TAP functionality is incorporated in patches in the recommended firmware?

That way, I can include information in a guide to explain to people which TAPs they may need to move out of Auto Start as part of the upgrade.

Nigel

Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:12 am Reply with quote
As a starting point:
De replaces Description Extender
Re + Mh (almost entirely) replaces Remote Extender
Ab replaces AccurateBM
Ef mostly replaces EITDupFix
Rh + Rs should make RecordingFixer redundant, but that won't be in AutoStart anyway

Not sure what/when, but something made mcgCYRResume unnecessary.

I may have missed some of course, but no doubt R2-D2 will be along to fill in the blanks or correct any errors I've made!

Julie

ginner
Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:31 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 04 Dec 2006 Posts: 103 Location: West Yorkshire
Cross posted on the Media Manager page.

<<post removed as it was stated it was in the wrong place>>

Last edited by ginner on Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:12 am; edited 1 time in total

juwlz
Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:01 am Reply with quote
ginner wrote:
... and best answered there, as although this may be a patch issue, it has nothing to do with the Firmware Loader package, which is what this thread is about.

Julie

ginner
Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:10 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 04 Dec 2006 Posts: 103 Location: West Yorkshire
juwlz wrote:
ginner wrote:
... and best answered there, as although this may be a patch issue, it has nothing to do with the Firmware Loader package, which is what this thread is about.

Julie

Fair point, although the FW loader did fail under my XP installation - it came up with loads of exception errors and I had to kill it. I've just done a full re-install using the MS installer, which completed successfully, but I still have the MM crash.

nwhitfield
Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9511 Location: London
And another silly question (I've yet to put the recommended firmware on there...)

Is there a version string that indicates it's a recommended one? Perhaps we should try to come up with something that indicates this, if it's possible?

I'm thinking that it would be handy to be able to tell people on the firmware update page (which I'm rewriting at the moment) how to tell if they do have a recommended firmware on there.

Can we fit something like, say, TO (for ToppyOrg) plus two digits on the end of the version number, so we know that it's a recommended firmware, and which version?

Nigel.

Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:53 pm Reply with quote
That was the subject of much discussion a while back Wink.