Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Firmwares, enhancements and upgrades  ~  Toppy.org Firmware Loader

Page 8 of 9
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
quartermain
Posted: Sat May 23, 2009 8:25 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 05 Jul 2006 Posts: 88
Why not use Firefox? I only ever use IE for Windows Update.

Then you can use add-ons like FlashBlock and AdBlock which make the browsing experience much nicer.
seadog
Posted: Sun May 24, 2009 8:38 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 21 Jan 2007 Posts: 88 Location: I.O.W.
Didn't work with Firefox either. Can't get rid of IE8 so even more desperately I'm going to do a factory reset of my laptop - that should at least restore IE7 and give me loads of headaches putting back all of the applications I require. But looking on the brightside I should be able to install Firmware Loader or am I kidding myself???

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; EPG2MEI v0.96; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; SecCache (UK) v0.4; MyStuff 6.5; QuickJump 1.66; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; MyInfo B5.6; FFWD v0.7; MHEG On/Off A3; (MHEG State Patcher V2);
Sig generated by MyInfo on 2/4/14
Bawbagg
Posted: Sun May 24, 2009 10:03 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 11 Aug 2005 Posts: 1122
seadog wrote:
Didn't work with Firefox either. Can't get rid of IE8 so even more desperately I'm going to do a factory reset of my laptop - that should at least restore IE7 and give me loads of headaches putting back all of the applications I require. But looking on the brightside I should be able to install Firmware Loader or am I kidding myself???
Jeez - that's a bit drastic.

Why not just skip the installer, and do things the old fashioned way?

glenmcfar
Posted: Sun May 24, 2009 10:18 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 07 Dec 2006 Posts: 4519 Location: Dundonald, Ayrshire, Scotland
seadog wrote:
Can't get rid of IE8

Yes you can. Go to Add/Remove Programs. 'View Installed Updates' will show IE8 then just click uninstall.

Glen.

seadog
Posted: Mon May 25, 2009 9:32 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 21 Jan 2007 Posts: 88 Location: I.O.W.
Drastic or not it worked. Firmware loader installed and MyStuff seems to have loaded OK, but for reasons of its own Toppy could not be found in Vista so it tried XP and that seems to have worked. I've yet to really try MyStuff. The log seems to be interminally long but I could use snail mail to gwt it to you - if anyone is interested.
I did try to remove IE8 via control panel but that only partially removed it.
I also thought of the manual way but wanted to see if I could get the loader to work on my lap top.
So it looks as if my problem has been IE8 as well as being too old.

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; EPG2MEI v0.96; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; SecCache (UK) v0.4; MyStuff 6.5; QuickJump 1.66; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; MyInfo B5.6; FFWD v0.7; MHEG On/Off A3; (MHEG State Patcher V2);
Sig generated by MyInfo on 2/4/14
marky1124
Posted: Wed May 27, 2009 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 05 Dec 2006 Posts: 56
I used the automatic Firmware downloader a month or so ago and was very impressed with how seamlessly well it worked. Thank you. It's a great improvement on the manual tracking of the patches that I had to do before.

I came back to toppy.org.uk today to check to see if there's a newer firmware recommendation.

I started with the toppy.org.uk news page, however that doesn't mention the most recent firmware release date.

I then found this thread. Am I correct in thinking that my best way to check whether there is a newer firmware recommendation is to check the first post in this thread? I know that the firmware downloader will do it, but that isn't something I can run at any time, since I have to borrow a laptop and get it setup to the Topfield. If I am correct then I think this thread, or a new locked one, should be marked as sticky at the top of the forum.

Cheers,
Mark

juwlz
Posted: Wed May 27, 2009 4:09 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10381 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
One way is simply to run Firmware Loader, and it'll tell you. (That's what it's for, after all.)

The other is to check toppy.org.uk's firmware updates page.

But the bottom line is that (currently, for a 5800) if your firmware version as reported by the native Menu isn't 5.13.65T, then it's not up to date.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
marky1124
Posted: Wed May 27, 2009 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 05 Dec 2006 Posts: 56
juwlz wrote:
One way is simply to run Firmware Loader, and it'll tell you. (That's what it's for, after all.)

I did explain why I was looking for an alternative to that option.

juwlz wrote:
The other is to check toppy.org.uk's firmware updates page.

It isn't clear to me that this page tells me when the recommended firmware has been updated.

juwlz wrote:
But the bottom line is that (currently, for a 5800) if your firmware version as reported by the native Menu isn't 5.13.65T, then it's not up to date.

Julie

Excellent thanks. My Topfield is reporting 5.13.65T April 2009. So no need to borrow the laptop just yet.

Cheers,
Mark

nwhitfield
Posted: Wed May 27, 2009 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9521 Location: London
The firmware updates page tells you the version and date of the most recent firmware:

Quote:
The recommended firmware is updated from time to time; if the info screen on your PVR shows you have a recommended firmware installed, but the ?Last Update? date is earlier than Apr 14 2009 ? which is when our recommended firmwares were last updated ? you may want to upgrade to the latest edition.

The date in that paragraph will change, by a cunning system of magic, when the firmwares are updated, so it will always tell you the correct date.

So, that's how you now check whether or not you have the latest firmware - by reading the firmware download page.

Posted: Wed May 27, 2009 10:00 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10381 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
marky1124 wrote:
juwlz wrote:
I did explain why I was looking for an alternative to that option.
My apologies. I obviously skim-read and missed that bit.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
awills61
Posted: Sun May 31, 2009 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 20 Sep 2006 Posts: 221 Location: Winter Hill
Quick question re the recommended firmware;

Clicking on the link in the first post for the TF5800 takes you to the patch decipherer and shows 'Bm' as a patch however having applied the firmware and run Myinfo I don't have 'Bm' installed.

Is it missing or is the link wrong?

™
chunkywizard
Posted: Sun May 31, 2009 2:29 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 13 May 2005 Posts: 9306 Location: Sindlesham, Berkshire Tx: Hannington
The link is wrong. I always get Bm and Ab mixed up.

CW

NickC
Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:03 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 16 Jul 2005 Posts: 105 Location: Oxfordshire
Just wanted to thank you all for working on this - finally gotten around to updating from Bastille day firmware on my aged 5800 - no problems.

Good stuff !

Nick.
chunkywizard
Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:32 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 13 May 2005 Posts: 9306 Location: Sindlesham, Berkshire Tx: Hannington
awills61 wrote:
Quick question re the recommended firmware;

Clicking on the link in the first post for the TF5800 takes you to the patch decipherer and shows 'Bm' as a patch however having applied the firmware and run Myinfo I don't have 'Bm' installed.

Is it missing or is the link wrong?

Now fixed

CW

Geoff Bacon
Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Jan 2007 Posts: 3155 Location: Bristol ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ Windows XP, USB
I successfully installed the latest firmware using ToppyFirmwareLoader and it provides a huge improvement on upgrading the firmware (it is what Topfield should have provided all along!).

I do have one problem though - it regards Signal Monitor (0.53). Basically this no longer works because it can't find Firmware.dat - I suspect that now that the firmware has been compressed and aXeled, it can't handle the new format.

I do also have an issue with logos (but on a friend's toppy) - basically, UKAuto v0.73 does not show a logo for Channel 5 (I retuned using fastscangui 0.5 and foolishly selected 'Mendip after March 2010'). Having retuned using 'Mendip', there is still no Channel 5 logo although one can select the channel. Consequently, all the UKAuto logos after channel 4 do not correspond to the correct channel. I need to do some more investigation - suspect that I will use a full channel search and replace the logo file (although that was downloaded today using ToppyUpdater from http://www.toppy.org.uk/~chunkywizard/Logos/logodats.zip)

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; QuickJump 1.72; MyInfo B5.6; Font Manager 1.0d; EPG2MEI v0.96; CrashTrace v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; Extend v1.7; WSSkiller V2.12d; SecCache (UK) v0.4; MyStuff 6.5;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 6/9/13
™